SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovehadley

Sometimes I just don't know...

lovehadley
15 years ago

I am getting really fed up with my SS's behavior.

I try to be empathetic to him but it's just so difficult sometimes. I honestly think he is depressed---his behavior is a lot like his mom's and I would consider her to be a chronically unhappy person. I think she has very poor self esteem and a lot of her issues, chemical dependancy, etc. are a result of that self-loathing.

DH and I can see the same things in SS starting to emerge. He is just an unhappy child. :( It's sad. He just lacks self-confidence, is painfully shy, is fearful of tying anything new...etc. He won't walk into school alone b/c he's too scared. Won't go over to a friend's house to play. Doesn't want to do any sports or activities. He is just so afraid of everything and everyone. He was in counseling on a regular basis last summer, but in the last 2 months, that's fallen by the wayside.

He is also very angry and defensive. If any kind of discipline or consequence is handed down by DH, he complains that EVERYONE hates him, no one loves him, he is going to run away, etc. NOW--I have a 6 year old daughter--so beleive me, I know about dramatic! But this is above anything I have ever seen. Every little thing is an argument.

I'm starting to get really frustrated with my DH's lack of control of the situation, though. I am shocked at the way SS talks to him. SS calls him names all the time, tells him that he wants a new dad, that he's glad he's going to his mom's, etc. (Apparently, he says the same sort of things in reverse when he is at BM's---tells her that he hates her, wants to live with us, etc.) I'm getting irritated with how he is allowed to say hurtful things to people and then just expects everything to be "okay."

I 100% want our children to feel free to express their feelings but I am NOT OKAY with being MEAN to people. Our kids need to understand that saying hurtful things to someone, with the INTENT of hurting their feelings, is NOT OKAY and that these things affect our relationships.

This afternoon, SS was angry at DH about some cleanup he had been told to do and he told my DH to "move your fat butt out of my way" as he was stomping past. Ok, my DH has put on about 25 lbs in the last year and he is not happy about it--and I know he is self conscious about. I felt so bad for him! :(

I mean, how do you let your child talk to you like that????!!!

But then here's the problem...

DH sent him to "time out" for all of 3 mins and then SS came out of his room and asked if he could come out, and DH told him yes if he apologized. So SS muttered an angry SORRY under his breath and that was that.

OH MY.

This is just a bad pattern. If you read my other post, on Christmas Eve, BM went out drinking because she was really fed up with how people in her home (her DH and SS) were treating her. SS is really, really hurtful and disrespectful to his mom lately. Now, what she did was wrong--and I do believe she is an alcoholic---but that still does not give her son the right to be mean to her. But SHE and DH are the parents and it is THEIR job to teach him these things. By allowing him to be mean, they are doing him a major disservice. :(

I don't know.

I want my DH to take control of things but every time I try to talk to him, he gets all defensive. Pretty much the second SS came out of his time out and "apologized", he and DH were on the couch playing Wii.

If it were me--and that had been my DD--I would have grounded her. If that had been ME as a kid---well, first of all, I would NEVER have dreamt of speaking to my parents like that! But if I had--I would have been spanked! I'm not advocating spanking or anything--just pointing out the difference in how DH is parenting, and the lack of respect that exists.

HELP! How can I get him to step up and PARENT??? I'm not saying I'm perfect, and yeah, we all have moments where our parenting is not as good as it should be---sure, I've told my DD to do something and then not really followed through about it....

But to me--SS's behavior is crossing a major line and I want DH to do something about it.

Comments (7)