SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Viking Combi Steam oven on sale - should I keep or return?

kaysd
12 years ago

Please excuse the double post with appliances, but I have to make a decision today.

I was at an appliance outlet yesterday looking for appliances for our remodel. I told the salesman I needed a 24" speed oven and 24" steam oven. He pointed out the 24" Viking Combi Steam / Convect Oven (DCSO244SS). I have been looking for a Gaggenau, Thermador or Miele steam oven on sale, so I was not familiar with Viking, but it seems to have the same basic features and was on clearance for $1,200 (originally retailed for $3500). I grabbed it because it seemed like a great deal. I assumed it was just a floor sample from one of their retail stores that just closed and/or a discontinued model.

Last night, I did a little research. It looks like Viking is discontinuing production of steam ovens, so if it breaks down, even under warranty, there may be nothing to replace it with. I also wonder why they are not doing steam ovens any more - were there problems? Can anyone comment of the performance of the Viking steam ovens?

The Viking website lists the 27" and 30" trim kits as "required installation accessories." Does anyone know if the oven can be installed without a trim kit? (The trim kit is optional on the Gagg, Miele and Thermador steam ovens.) The Viking Installation Guide says the oven has an overall width of 23 3/8" and requires a cutout width of 21 5/8". If the trim kit is just to hide a few screws, I wonder if I can install 1/2" stainless steel strips on the sides instead of a large trim kit. I cannot go to 27" in my kitchen layout.

I have to cancel the oven today to avoid a re-stocking fee. The $1200 price seems amazing - I found it online last night for $2300 at a couple places. But a great price is not a good deal if it will not fit or if the unit is problematic. I would appreciate advice from anyone who is familiar with this product.

Comment (1)