SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gldnfan

OCeanside Glass Backsplash update - WARNING

gldnfan
14 years ago

I posted a bit ago about a problem with our Oceanside Glass backsplash. We used Geologie mosaic that is a mix of slate and glass.

The tile comes faced in paper so only the back is visible. Our tile had some adhesive residue on the back and once it was installed this came through as ugly brown - almost moldy looking - yuck behind the clear and irrid. tiles in the mosaic. The glass were a pale green. We also had a custom blend with darker glass that seemed fine but looking closer it also has an issue but it isn't very visible because the glass tiles are bronze - so already brownish.

Took pictures my rep emailed to the company - immediately heard they were replacing the tile. Never heard anything after that so I called - tile came in and while it was "cleaner" looking my rep held it to the light - who thinks of having to do this with every sheet of mosaic tile!!?? - and saw a haze. Called the company and said her rep was horrified. Told her to try using some water to see if it was sticky. She did and it was. They are taking the tile back to "clean" it.

SHe asked him what they are doing differently since this has not happened to her before. He said the adhesive to attach the paper to the front has never adhered well to the slate and has been a constant issue with the Geologie line. They been experimenting with different adhesive/process to apply the paper - obviously it is not working very well!

I thought I would post a warning that if you are planning to use the Geologie line from Oceanside check your tile VERY carefully - especially if you have light glass tiles.

THe only saving grace is there is now absolutely no argument with them over who is responsible for paying to have the new tile installed. If we can ever get the clean tile to do it ;-)

My 7 yo DS who likes to watch Divine Design with me ;-) - walked up the other day and said - EEEwwww...what is behind the tile?! HE is the first besides me to pick it out on his own! I deliberately did not tell the kids because I figured why tell people so they look twice - and you know that is the first thing a 4 yo and 7 yo old will tell a visitor! Look at our tile it has nasty stuff growing behind it!! LOL

Once you notice it is all you see - I have no window behind my sink so I wanted a stunning and light reflecting backsplash to look at - murphy's law some of the worse tiles are right in my line of sight behind the faucet - I keep trying to see if I can live with it and avoid the hassle of replacement but then I see it again and think - nope ;-)

Comment