SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

Feedback for galley kitchen layout?

jakabedy
14 years ago

I've been toying with this for months and finally got what appears to be a workable layout. We're leaving the footprint the same, with the appliances and plumbing staying put. We're using IKEA cabs in Nexus Yellow-Brown. With the increased functionality of the new cabinets, we're doing away with the uppers except for the over-fridge cabinet. I'm posting here because there is always something that can be tweaked or improved.

The long side of the galley is 17'9" and has a short backsplash with planter boxes on top. It is open to the rest of the room, but there is no seating or real access on the other side, so not a true island. From left to right as you face it, it has:

15" full-height pull-out base (stand mixer, etc.)

15" full-height pull-out base (crock pots, stock pot, etc.)

9" open shelf (cookbooks, phone charging station)

30" deep drawers (tupperware, baking/pyrex)

18" 4-drawer stack (silverware, wraps, towels)

36" sink base

Dishwasher

36" deep drawers (plates, bowls, glasses)

15" with two pull-outs (unspecified use, probably large bowls)

15" 3-drawer stack (junk drawers)

The short side from left to right as you face it has has:

30" deep drawers (pots/pans, utensils in top drawers)

Range

30" deep drawers (pots/pans, spices in top drawers)

24" deep over fridge cabinet (cookie sheets, trays)

I'm pretty satisfied with the short side, as there isn't much else to do with it other than what I have done. But I am open to suggestions about the long side. Keep in mind the sink base must stay centered between 106" and 108", and we have to use a 36" sink base.

- There are two built-in, reach-in pantries on either side of the range run and those are staying -- they provide all the storage we need for foods and oils/tall spice items.

- We have 56" between countertops

- I'm not tied to the little open shelf, but had 9" leftover.

- No current purpose for the 15" pullout cab next to the junk drawer stack, so it can be changed.

- The two 15" pull-outs can be changed -- I just need storage for items too tall to fit in the standard deep drawers. I also like the full-height because the interior drawer heights are adjustable and I won't have another wasted, unused, shallow upper drawer (5 of 12 in the current kitchen are empty).

- Trash can is in the pantry, so no need for a pull-out.

- Microwave is in a pantry.

- Pet food stored elsewhere, no need to make room for it.

Thank you so much!

Comments (9)