SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesmis_gw

Is painting ugly brick ok?! (Pics)

lesmis
14 years ago

We've been debating this ever since we bought this house 2 years ago. The setting is lovely, the interior is becoming what we want, but OH THE EXTERIOR!!! When we purchased it we had grand plans of adding a second story and making it look more like a low country cape or whatever would get rid of the ugly brick rambler look we have going on, but with one child in college and another just a year away (out of state of course!) we had to settle for all interior work and no exterior changes.

After reading about the pitfalls of painting brick I'm over the fear and ready to face a new and painted brick home (and yes it looks like it's 50 years old, but the house is only 10 years old...don't ask!). A previous poster's home, that is much grander and more stately then our little home will ever be was the motivation I needed to go for it!

Can anyone tell me what color would look the best, given our ugly duckling's appearance that could make it into something that I know won't be a swan but maybe one of the lesser ugly stepsisters? :-)

We have removed most of the plantings in the front and are making the bed much smaller and more manageable with more grass (a work in progress that looks terrible atm) but I'd like to add window boxes to the front and maybe the side windows. Should we remove the shutters all together?! Right now they look like a little old man in Florida wearing sandals with white socks!!! I was thinking maybe of a deep taupe with black shutters if we opt to keep the shutters? We are on a private lane with other gorgeous homes along the waterfront and need help to not be the ugly little house on the street anymore!

All input is much appreciated!!! Thank you!

Kat :)

Comments (46)

• mclarke
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes! Your house is screaming to be painted!!!!

I dunno about the taupe... it's awfully close to what you have now. But painting the shutters a dark color is exactly the right thing to do.

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, we are all sitting here (husband and kids) laughing hysterically at the quick response and the plea to do "something" to this house! We actually took bets as to whether of not "blow it up" would be the first suggestion!

A little history, the house is only 10 years old as I stated before, and it was built by our neighbor who is in his 80's so apparently he thought this was the "new" style!!

I realized after I posted that the picture is one we took from our car before we even purchased the house!

Another closer picture, I know, it's not making it any better!

The other houses on the street are all lovely I swear and the setting is wonderful! An inlet behind us and across the street a large River. The other houses are tan, blue, and a soft yellowish tan color and then another brick (you guessed it, the man who built our house!).

Here is the setting, at least it's pretty! This is why we purchased the house!

• Related Discussions

ugly beach house - pic is good for a laugh but I need help!

Q

Comments (5)
    Color could fix all the ills you've listed -- fer sure. The actual building is not that bad, in fact it could be kind of fun. It's on the beach and light yellow might not be your only color option. The cost of paint isn't based on color; a predictable light yellow will cost the same as something a lot more fun. Vinyl siding can absolutely be painted. Good news is that yours is blue so you have more options. If you paint vinyl siding you are restricted to using a paint color that is exactly equal or less than the current color's LRV. Light Reflectance Value. Manufacturers of exterior products like garage doors, entry doors, shutters, decorative elements will list in their documentation with the product the LRV specifications. Use a paint color that pushes that LRV spec and you lose all warranties. So painting vinyl does come with some rules, but like most things in color there is a way to bend the rule. Sherwin Williams has a product specifically for painting vinyl siding and the way the color is crafted gives you a broader range of color choices. It's called VinylSafe and it allows you to paint darker colors on vinyl siding without worrying about warping or buckling. Can only get VinylSafe colors mixed in exterior bases, not interior. The stucco probably had color mixed in. That's a good thing but it's not a forever thing. Even stucco with the color mixed in eventually will need attention, not sure I'd call it maintainence free. If it's a matter of making the facade appealing to renters so you get revenue, then the convenience of built-in stucco color isn't really doing much for ya. Just 'cuz you don't have to paint it doesn't mean people want to live it. Painting that brick is a really good idea, IMO. So, yeah, the disjointed materials and the disparate color scheme is a problem. But painting everything the same light yellow isn't necessarily the right solution --- or maybe I should say the most *inviting* solution you could come up with to give it more curb appeal. Not sure if you were thinking along the lines of painting everything light yellow or not. I do think you have some significant color design opportunities.
    ...See More

ugly beach house - pic is good for a laugh but I need help!

Q

Comments (3)
    I went to check the pic again but it's down now. Anyway, Is it siding you can paint? Sometimes you can get away with unifying different surfaces by painting them the same color, or similar colors (two shades of the same hue). Some things look a little weird when painted, but I'd rather have the right color paint than the wrong color original surface. At least blue isn't horrible with cream or white or yellow.
    ...See More

Want to paint ugly brick fireplace

Q

Comments (69)
    mdln Your fireplace looks great. MagdalenaLee Great photoshop. Thanks so much. It is exactly what I want it to look like, except for the color. I am wanting a light gray. Hoping to put black marble on top of the hearth someday. Almost found what I needed at Habitat restore the other day, except it was 1 inch to short. Depth was perfect. I already have a black throw to put on the chair. Most the time it is off, because, the little ones love to sit in there, and it usually ends up on the floor. GreenHavenGarden Your fireplace looks really nice. Hope you enjoy it a lot. Annie, I have looked at the Dye brick site, and it is in consideration to find a stain rather than a paint. I didnt see any gray on the site, but, a friend told me that concrete stain would work the same way and it can be bought at Home Depot, so next time, I am in the city, will check that out too. nosoccermom, I did look over that link. Not seeing much with walnut stained trim. I do not want to paint this trim. I have painted every square inch of trim, in this house except the kitchen, and dining room, since they were the only ones that were still original. When we bought the house the rest of the trim was all painted white. I dislike white trim a lot, so it had to go almost immediately. I find it all a bit sad, that when we moved here, there was a 24 inch doorway to the 12x20 ft living room (small compared to all other rooms in this house), off the kitchen, but, the original owners had the stone mason put in a 7 ft long stone FAKE fireplace in the living room that matched the stone on the house. It had a very pretty well done mantle too. Attached to it, was an 8 ft long cabinet, that was also well done. There is another door on the opposite side of the living room to the back hallway, and double doors for a closet, and the front door, plus a large picture window with side windows, so there was absolutely no place for furniture, so for almost 5 yrs, all my living room furniture was just piled in there gathering dust, and the door was shut, and no way to use it. Last year, grandson in law, tore out both the fake fireplace and the cabinet, and closed up the 24 inch doorway, and put a new doorway on the dining room side that is 4 ft wide. I now have room for my couch and chairs, and my big oriental cabinets, and tv. The sad part is that they put so much thought into the fake stone fireplace, and no thought at all to the ugly brick one in the dining room. Oh and for those of you still reading this, I did spend most of the morning today out in the shop (nice cool morning) and I have the new top for the built in on the left all cut, except for 2 notches, and I do have a new mantle top all cut, and ready for sanding. I havent decided yet, just how much I want to add to the mantle, and of course, cant put it on until I decide what to do with the fireplace. Thanks all for your time, and your ideas. :-))
    ...See More

what flooring will look ok with my ugly stone wall?

Q

Comments (38)
    You may have already done this, but if not, take a look at the large stone fireplaces in the link below, of Google images. Like some others, I can't imagine that tile combined with it will do anything but create a cold room. I think it could be beautiful with a wooden floor, and hope that issues of the past haven't turned you off wood forever. The carpet looks new. Is that your rusty red patterned rug rolled up in front of it in the photos? Could you roll that out in front of it and take a pic for us? Here is a link that might be useful: Large stone fireplaces
    ...See More
  • gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    14 years ago

Well I don't think your brick is ugly at all. I would add darker shutters (dark gray, not quite black), or a cool dark brown (because I can't be sure of the roof color on here).

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Lets hope Squirrel finds her way here and changes the color on the shutter leaving the brick as they are and see if that's not enough to help you love your beautiful home! Personally I think it's very attractive. I'd change out the light in the front yard to one with a metal post though.
    I'm curious how a pretty soft light blue for shutters would look with the window boxes being the lightest color in the brick. I'd certainly try making these little changes before going to the trouble of painting the brick. Just think of the mantainance you'll add to your home. So much easier to power wash brick than paint it.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

PS. you could also add a balustrade to the front porch.

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Gracie01, I agree that the brick isn't the worst brick out there, but because the house is so squat and without much personality I really do think it needs to be painted to give it some sort of character. I also think we need to beef up the front porch posts and we need to take out the huge post light that doesn't fit at all! We had planned to do something simple to try and make it look better, but even those estimates came in at around $25-$30k and we really needed that money to go towards the interior work we are doing.

Here is our inspiration for a simple cosmetic fix, but it proved too costly...not sure why it was so expensive but we got several bids! We just couldn't justify putting that amount just to make it look nicer without any other benefit like added square footage!

If money were no object we would have torn the house down and built something like this, but it had perfectly good bones on the interior and wasn't very old. Plus getting permits to do anything when you live on the water is murder!

For anyone who HAS painted their brick, did you do anything to prepare the brick and what paint brand do you recommend using?

Thanks,

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Wow, what a spectacular view!

I was the one who said your house is screaming to be painted... I apologize for the abruptness of my response. Sometimes I do shoot my mouth off.

I totally agree with Justgotabme -- a railing on your porch would be wonderful.

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Justgotabme, we cross posted. I agree 100% that humongous post light has to go! What do you think about maybe adding a couple small cupolas to help break up the low roof? We would love to eventually add some sort of second story, maybe add on to the front somehow so that we can take full advantage of the river views across the street. Everytime my husband gets on the roof he says we need to go up! We had someone draw up plans but other than making it a true two story, anything we added on to the front looked like either a prison tower, or like someone drove a small two story addition straight into our house!

• segbrown
    14 years ago

I've always been partial to taupe-painted brick houses with black shutters (and accessories) and white trim ... I think you're part-way there already.

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's fine Mclarke, I'm not very thin skinned and you know your house is ugly when you give people directions and they say "ooh I know that street, it's so pretty down there!" and then you tell them your address and describe your house a tiny bit and they say "oh yeah that brick rambler!" LOL We know we are the ugly duckling among very lovely and very big homes, but at least we paid attention to the old adage to be the least expensive house in the expensive neighborhood! I wish we had more storage (truss roof and not attic trusses!) but we've gutted the whole place and the inside really is everything we've wanted, less a sunroom, now we just need the outside to reflect the inside! :) Keep the comments coming, good, bad or indifferent...and color suggestions are wonderful!

Thanks!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I like the brick actually, it is a departure from red.
    I agree that the trim other details could be beefed up and painted, but I would defer on the brick, its almost the same color as your inspiration houses.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

What if you just have someone add siding to the gables along with a round or octagonal vent. You'd have to leave the current vents open but could paint them to match the new siding.
    You could face the garage doors like I shared in dirtymartini's post about her garage door. Here's the picture so you won't have to search for it. And of course you wouldn't have to make it look exactly like this one. Seems they did this for under two hundred dollars. Just glued and screwed on.
    {{gwi:1759775}}
    Maybe even add a wooden arbor over the front of the garage like trailrunner did....scroll down to third from bottom picture in link below. (in the OPs first posting)

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage pergola/arbor

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Lesmes we did it again. As nice as it would be to change the roofline, I wouldn't spend that kind of money, like you said before, without getting more square footage. I do think a few cosmetic, possibly DIY, projects could add more character to your home until you can spend the big buck to get the second floor you truly want.

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for those garage door and all the pics Justgotabme! We are planning on changing out the garage doors, so if this is a cheaper way to go I might look into it!

I just wish my home was a cute cottage like so many I see on here! I'm trying to make the inside cottage like or at least homey feeling. We've had lots of hurdles to overcome in making it anything other than blecky! :-)

Don't mean to get off topic but here is a picture of the before and after of our kitchen makeover (the kitchen isn't done yet) but you can see that the ugliness didn't stop at the door. It was all I could do to get my husband to even look at this place. He hates brick and he hates ramblers! I wish it was as easy to change the exterior as it is the interior. The hassle has been huge but at least we made changes we love.

Before of kitchen (before we moved in)

After of kitchen, not yet finished but from the same angle as the "before" shot

Different view

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

WOW! What an awesome transformation. Show us some other rooms you've redone inside. It's your thread. You can do whatever you want! LOL.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I'd definitely try Photoshopping the shutters first, before painting the bricks. (Though I am an admitted fan of painted brick.)

I also love the DIY garage door makeover! Any time the garage doors are on the front of the house, they make a big visual impression.

What I'd like to suggest is that you get some professional architectural advice. I KNOW you're on a budget, but right now, there are tons of architects who are unemployed or underemployed, and by posting a 'gig' (as opposed to a job) on Craigslist, you could easily and quickly find several who would be happy to consult for a few hours time to improve your home's 'face'.

We're good with the pretty details and certainly priced right!
    But when it comes to the 'bones', sometimes it's SO worth it to hire a professional.

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, we love our kitchen and it was the one room I knew we HAD to change from the time we first saw the house. This has become the never ending renovation. We have redone something in every room in the house so far. We tore up carpeting throughout and put in hardwood everywhere, we replaced and expanded most of the windows. We've completely gutted and remodeled one bath and hope to add a master bath when we do the sunroom and turn the old master bath into another walk in closet that we desperately need. The flow in this house was just terrible, lots of walls and it all felt so closed in so we've torn down walls and tried to make it a much more open space.

This is why we are trying to minimize the cost of the exterior, but if the house looks terrible from the outside, and good from the inside it just seems such a shame to me! Maybe we can blindfold guests as they come inside! ;)

Please excuse the pics as we still don't have things like crown and base mouldings and we still have stuff everywhere as we've played musical chairs with our stuff from room to room as we've progressed!

The hall bath "before"

Hall Bath "after" almost done, but not quite

When you walked in the front door you were staring right at a wall and then another wall around the corner separated the LR from the DR. This picture is from when the previous owners (a lovely elderly couple in their early 90's lived here)

A before of the tiny walled off DR from before we purchased the house

The awkward bumped out stove/fireplace we never used!

Walls between the LR/DR/Entryway are all gone and it's one open space now. We were going to put in pillars, hence the electrical wire still in the ceiling but decided against it at the last minute, they blocked the view of the water from the LR too much.

Wall where the ugly stove used to be, unused wood flooring and columns stacked in the corner until we clear the garage out! That could take years! We put in all new windows and new schoolhouse trim throughout. The trim in the kitchen has also been replaced now.

The old family room area. We added 2 new windows to create a wall of windows and removed the wall separating it from the kitchen and raised the kitchen windows and put the sink and more cabinetry on that wall. I also painted the kitchen "green" to help me through the interim period before we the kitchen remodel started.

New family room windows and flooring

New seating area in family room, still need to slipcover the loveseat to match the new blue and cream sisal rug. And remove all of the junk on it, and on the floor! Besides the kitchen I think it is my favorite part of the house, when all the windows are open it's so nice to sit and look out over the water and my neighbors beautiful garden!

The previous owners used the mbr as a reading/music/exercise room and it had a small window on each wall and it was dark and didn't take advantage of the view.

Now with 3 big windows on the water side we can see heron and egrets on one side and deer and wild turkey on the field side!

Phew, sorry lots of pictures!

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

You have done a fabulous job on your house. I love your new kitchen. And that view, wow!

I really don't think the brick is that bad. In fact, I think your house is kind of cute. Before painting the brick I would paint the shutters and door to make them pop a little more. Maybe beefing up the porch, too. I just don't think painting the brick would really change how your house looks.

• metromom
    14 years ago

lesmis, I would love to know what paint color that is in your litchen.

As far as painting brick, GO FOR IT! Here are before and after's of my house -- many thanks are owed to the posters here (including squirrelheaven and chicory) who helped me plan and visualize:

before:

after:

As far as methods, we prepped by powerwashing, let it dry, then rolled primer and two coats of paint on ourselves. Don't remember the exact type of primer and paint, I just went to the local BM store and asked what they recommended for painting exterior brick. We used a roller that was designed to get into the crevices but had to brush primer into the mortar joints because the roller didn't get in there for the first coat.

Good luck!

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW Metromom that is beautiful, the paint, the portico, and the new landscaping all really made a huge difference! Thanks for posting the pictures! Thanks for the prep and painting info too!

My kitchen paint is BM Heather Gray, it's a very cool shade of green/gray that changes colors throughout the day!

• metromom
    14 years ago

Thanks Kat - my kitchen is similar to yours and I love the Heather Gray, will get a sample and try it out. Does yours ever go olive on you? That's the problem I'm having with my current green-gray.

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No it's never appeared olive in any light. It has more of a blue/gray undertone vs. a yellow undertone. I didn't want any yellow since my cabinets are BM Simply White and I didn't want them to look creamy, which with a more yellow toned paint they did so we switched to the BM Heather Gray at the 11th hour!

Sweeby, thanks for the info about architects, I didn't know you were an architect! We did have someone draw up plans that were lovely when we were considering raising the roof. He also tried putting a "lookout" tower of some sort on the front for us, but those drawings did all look a lot like prison towers. It's hard to make a lovely widows walk on a house like ours! Even though we are close to metro DC it's very hard to find a good architect. Several that I contacted weren't interested in just doing drawings and since we weren't really at a point to commit to the whole second story addition plan they turned us away without much discussion. :-(

• graywings123
    14 years ago

ugly duckling . . . We actually took bets as to whether of not "blow it up" would be the first suggestion! . . . the house is so squat and without much personality . . . If money were no object we would have torn the house down . . .

No help here, just a comment. Now that you have transformed the inside, you almost have to do the same on the outside. I understand that, but it is sad that you dislike your house so much. It is a charming, unassuming rambler, built from a design popular the 1970s. It apparently doesn't fit in the neighborhood, but in and of itself, it is a lovely house. It is not an ugly duckling, it is just different than the other houses.

Will you be able to recoup your investment when you sell? Or is that too far down the road to be concerned about?

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Happyladi :)

Graywings, we plan to be in this house for a very long time, our children are 21 and 17 and so we'll be empty nester's in the not too distant future. I don't hate our house, and I feel ashamed really about complaining about a house that is located in such a lovely spot, but it just isn't my taste. The other houses on our street, except for the other brick one which has more character than ours, are all newer homes and they have so much more character. Further down the way on the road that leads in to our lane are plenty of houses just like ours, also built by our neighbor although built in the late 1960's and the early 1970's. I think our builder, who built this as a spec home, had these plans and knew how to build this kind of house so that's what he did. I think what I dislike the most is that our home is so nondescript. We have lived in a 1950's cape and a 1980's center hall colonial, and I just felt like both of those homes had some uniqueness to them that this house lacks. Hard to believe since one of those was a 1980's colonial!! I like to call our current house a "good 'ole Southern Maryland brick rambler." When you say that to people who are from around here they instantly know just what you mean. It means a low pitch roof, brick everywhere, a tiny front porch, or sometimes no porch at all, black or white shutters, and nothing that makes you go "ahhh" when you pull up to it. For every blue crab in the Chesapeake Bay there are just as many brick ramblers! I'm really not trying to keep up with the Jones' most of my neighbors have incomes that far exceed my husband's and mine, and I'm good with that, they are all very nice and wonderful neighbors. I just have in my tiny head a cottage by the sea, one with roses trailing up and over the porch, quirky rooflines, and a feeling that it was added on to over the years. New and pristine don't appeal to me, slightly off kilter and quirky does though, which is probably an apt description of myself. I've just spent so many years looking at magazines (I know I know I've fallen in to the trap) and I'm actually a freelance magazine writer of homes no less, filled with lovely quirkly little cottages and now I jealously want one. I guess I should be happy with my "unassuming" rambler and I know it's a practical and sound house, everyone who has worked on it has said so, but I can't seem to let the dream slip away! :-)

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

The reno work you've done so far is outstanding, especially the kitchen, which I love! I've always been a fan of white cabinets in the kitchen, and those dark counters are exactly what I'd love to have in mine, is that soapstone, or what?.....I'm drooling on my keyboard! Also love the beadboard, (probably because I also have it in my house), and the large, diagonal tiles in the bath.

That said, if it were my house, I'd definitely paint the exterior brick in a light, creamy off-white color, nothing too bright, but surely something light, with dark, (black), shutters for accent. I'd beef up the porch posts, too, and add a railing, if possible. If you can change the garage doors to something with an arch, that would help, too. Window boxes for the side and end windows facing the street (all those that aren't under the porch overhang) would surely soften up the facade. Make sure there's some trailing ivy, and petunia's in those window boxes, too! If I can find the type of window boxes I'm dreaming of, I'll post those as soon as I can find them. Love your view, and with all the right help, I'm sure you'll convert your home's exterior to get the effect you want with only minimal expense.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

"Sweeby, thanks for the info about architects, I didn't know you were an architect!"

I'm not -- But we're also doing an addition, and I realized I had fallen 'into a box' in my design attempts, and that I really needed some creative ideas that would 'sizzle'. I was talking to a friend who IS an architect (not residential), and the Craigslist 'gig' was her idea. I'd talked to a few architects a few years ago, and they weren't really interested in working for cheap because times were good -- but times have definitely changed Lesmis!

The Craigslist ad I placed was for 5-10 hours work designing the front and rear elevations and rough floorplans for a two-story addition at $50-$75 per hour for a licensed and experienced architect, $35/hour for a student. I got six responses within 24 hours, met with three teams, and hired two. For $600, we got a fabulous new direction that was much more appropriate to the home's 'bones', is probably $75,000 less expensive to build than my initial plan, and is MUCH more attractive.

It would cost you $0 to place an ad and see if you get any interest. And sprucing up your exterior in a cost-efficient way sounds like a much smaller project than mine. Could be the best $250 you could spend...

By the way - I LOVE your kitchen! And what you've done on the inside clearly shows that you can spot and appreciate good design.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Here's some information on window boxes, if you decide to go that way...... I have no interest in this company, just saw some at a friends and plan on ordering some for our house.

Here is a link that might be useful: window boxes

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nanny2a, thanks so much for the window box link, those are good prices and they are exactly the style I want!! I was thinking of a soft cream or even a hint of yellow if we decide to paint. The other option would be a deep taupe or a gray/green so maybe one of the photoshop gurus will be able to help with that. My counters are soapstone and I love them, both oiled and unoiled, they've been relatively carefree since I like them both ways.

Sweeby that's a great idea for finding an architect, and your price was certainly very reasonable! We did contact architects a year and a half ago so it looks like things really have changed. I wish that the builders prices were heading in the same direction, but here in MD they seem to be holding fairly steady. I don't want people to have to do work for free, but they are still asking what they were during the boom time. I know the cost of materials hasn't come down as quickly as some other things so maybe that's the difference. I designed the interior spaces and was the general contractor for all of those, but the exterior is more of a challenge. Trying to come up with something that works both inside and out, without spending huge amounts of money is always a challenge!

Thanks for the compliments and I'll keep you posted as to what we decide. I'm going to try and figure out how to photoshop a new shutter color and beefier porch columns, then I'll decide if I need to make a trip to the paint store to start looking for brick paint!

• graywings123
    14 years ago

nanny2a - Those are great prices for window boxes. I've bookmarked that site for future reference. Thanks for posting it.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Your changes are amazing!! Wonderful job & that kitchen is beautiful!

I would go ahead & paint the brick, get new shutters & wrap your existing posts to make them look beefier (where's the beef? - remember those commercials.....) I always suggest going with natural materials - especially when you are on a lake - cedar or cypress would be gorgeous as shutters & to use to wrap your columns - you could even use beadboard stained on the ceiling of your porch to tie into the stained woodwork. These are just some relatively inexpensive ideas until you can do your big plans.......maybe even get a faux finisher or new garage doors that can be stained to look like the other wood elements. Other items like chunky iron door handles , new door in the same wood stain - things that can be used in your big remodel but also currently.

Smiles:)

• suero
    14 years ago

How about painting the brick cyan, leaving the shutters and trim white, and adding a flowering vine covered pergola?

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Suero, thanks for the photoshop help! I actually really like the blue, but the house directly across the street is blue. :( Almost that exact color actually but it has red/burgundy shutters. And my last house was blue too, it's one of my favorite colors! I like the pergola with the vines, that may be something we need to look into adding, it makes the house look less "L" shaped and gives it some dimension.

Thanks again!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Kat, you really have made some wonderful transformations in the interior of your home. Thanks for posting them. I love the openess you've acheived by removing walls around the dining room. That was a really odd entrance before you transformed it.

The pergola Suero added is just what I was talking about above only I was thinking about half as deep with latice up the sides too, what Suero did is really pretty. Now if she could add cedar shingle siding in the gables (I'd change the brick back to it's natural state) and add a balustrade to the front porch you'd have my idea for your home. Wish I had a better program and I'd show you what I mean.

• suero
    14 years ago

I tried cedar shingles in the gables, and all it does is make the house look squatter. The original brick with the pergola looks boring.

Here's my inspiration (and where I got the pergola)

{{gwi:1759768}}

• oceanna
    14 years ago

I think your house is charming as it is. I'm sorry you feel so badly about it.

Painting a house is a huge amount of back breaking and often scary (on ladders) and dangerous work, and it's not cheap even to do it yourself. I have done it, have fallen off ladders, etc. It's really a nightmare, and I'm a person who enjoys paining. Hiring it done costs a fortune. The joy of brick is it never needs to be painted.

I would try really hard to jazz it up doing all I could without painting the brick. I'm thinking you could change out the garage doors for something cuter, and paint your shutters, build a pergola, put up a trellis with roses on it, or any number of things that wouldn't be toooo expensive. How about putting in a pretty rose bed down the right side of the driveway?

I would take a very conservative approach. You could always paint the brick later, as a last resort.

• socks
    14 years ago

I did not read the other posts, but I think your house is beautiful. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the brick. Consider the brick a gift. You paint, you sign up for a lifetime of maintenance on the house. Find out how much it costs to paint a house, including prep, in your area, and figure out how many times you would paint in the time you will be there.

If you have money to paint, perhaps use it to improve the landscaping somehow (even tho' it looks great)--adding planters, more colorful flowers. Maybe even change the color of the trim. But it would be a shame to paint. Just my 2 cents.

• megsy
    14 years ago

I wouldn't paint it either, and I'm a fan of painted brick.

I'd spend the money on functioning shutters that are pretty and not painted sock-white. And some professional landscaping.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I would paint the house cream or white or even tan w/green shutters. You have really done some beautiful work in your home, outstanding.

You turned that Barbie kitchen into something absolutely gorgeous. I admire that so much since I am no DIY.

Metromom looked like she purchased a new house, really good looking Metromom.

Jane

Note: I really vote for cream w/green shutters.

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

OMG lesmis, I have been through your pics so many times I am getting dizzy. You have a great eye for seeing the possibilities in any room!

You need your own TV show.

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow everyone, thanks for the input and the compliments, we are at that stage where we are just tired of remodeling, even though we are in the home stretch, so it's really nice to have positive feedback!

Suero and Justgotabme, I really am liking the idea of the pergola it's something I hadn't really considered before. Thanks Suero for trying the cedar shakes on the gable ends, I'm sure it didn't do much since it just accentuates the low slung roofline and that's something we'd like to down play.

Oceanna I completely understand what you are saying about painting. We do have a really good painter who has done work for us for years and is very reasonable so I could ask him what he would charge.

Scoobyruby I hadn't thought about natural wood like cedar, I may have to think about that one, if we don't choose to paint the brick it could be really complimentary to the tones of the brick, but less cottage like I would guess.

Socks and Megsy it's good to know that we don't *have* to paint the brick since it appears that people on here don't hate it, which is great. I do think better landscaping and shutters would go a long way in making things look better. I had to laugh at the white shutter/white sock analogy, we think they look like white socks too! :-)

Kitchenkelly, I have long admired your kitchen and your photos of your backyard so your compliment really made me smile! One of the best parts of my job as a writer is that I've been privileged to write about some amazing homes, both large and small so I've been filing away ideas for a long time now. My husband loves my job and hates it all at the same time. I do a lot of designer and renovation homes so I come home and say things like "hey we can take that wall down!" When he gives me the "no we can't" look, I simply say, sure we can I've seen it done! I'm amazed each time I do a renovation story, I've found over the years that most of the time it's the homeowners with the vision. Few, if any, of the homes I've covered used high powered design or architectural firms to create their dream homes, most of them, like me, have just had a picture in their heads that they are lucky enough to make into a reality! I'm not knocking either designers or architects, if my MIL hadn't had either she would still be trying to make decisions and with their help she and my FIL have a lovely home! And like it has been said before, good architectural plans can often save you money and give you a more sound structure in the end.

My husband has been playing around all day with Photoshop Elements to try and color the house, we just need to figure out how to import BM or SW paint colors, so far all he's been able to apply are crayola primary colors lol!

• les917
    14 years ago

You have done wonderful things to the interior - many kudos to you!

I would leave the brick alone. What I wonder if you could do is:

Add headers on the window to visually create some break between the top of the windows and the roofline;

Box the posts on the porch (kind of like the lightpost) to give them a cleaner, less 60's look;

Paint the downspouts the color of the brick to make them disappear;

Paint the shutters a rusty red for some spark.

However, if you are determined to paint, I could see the house in a greyed cream color (to work with the roof), with sage shutters and a rich navy blue door.

• enailes
    14 years ago

Lovely home and renovations! I live in Anne Arundel County:) I was wondering what a burgundy color on the shutters would do or even a grey/blue color? Instead of painting the garage doors to match, what about installing wood doors? Adding a cupola to the roof line would add additional height and architectural interest. I do like your inspiration pictures and imagine that painting the house that blue/grey/green with white trim would really make it pop. I'm sure whatever you decide it will be beautiful...

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Les917, we are trying to see if maybe we could add some wide trim to the windows with Azek or something similar and then do away with shutters altogether maybe? Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks Enailes, another Marylander! I love AA County and go there to shop. I used to love to buy clothing for my children over in West Annapolis at Whippersnapper, they had such great stuff! I think Giant Peach is there now, and my kids are grown now so no more cute outfits to buy until grandchildren!! There is a cupola place in Annapolis that is supposed to have lovely cupolas and at a good price.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I think the brick color is fine - try changing the shutter color first. different landscaping etc.

for out back (gorgeous view!) how about an 'upstairs' deck? might need to put a pulley to haul up food and drinks tho!

the pink kitchen would have scared me away - far away!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

What does your hubby think of a pergola?

• tinawolfe_rocketmail_com
    12 years ago

I am wanting to paint our brick...I think it is an ugly brick also. I was doing a google search and this page came up..I am curious, did you decide to paint your brick? If so, do you like it, was it too expensive, and lastly, have you had to do any upkeep to it? Thanks for your input