SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

I would love some design help on mixing woods.

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

I posted this in at the end of a different thread but wanted to bump it up to get more help. I'm terrible at design stuff and could use some advice from people who are good at that.

When I redo the kitchen I'm also redoing the adjacent mudroom. I want them to look good together and tie in visually but they don't need to be identical. I would also like to have the lockers in the mudroom built by a finish carpenter because I don't like the "cabinets-without-doors" look of my cabinet maker's design. (plus so expensive - ouch!)

Kitchen will be cherry, medium stained, shaker, with (i hope!) soapstone counters. Floors are oak hardwood through kitchen and mudroom.

One thought I had is that maybe I could do a painted island with my cherry/shaker perimeter cabinets, then take that painted wood into the mudroom. Then I could use the soapstone counter on the desk which will be in the mudroom where the laundry stuff is now to tie it together more. (Note: desk will be about 10" shallower than current mudroom counter, so it will line up with the framed opening at the far end.)

Below is the view from my main prep area in the kitchen, through the mudroom (currently under construction, or rather deconstruction) and into the laundry (nearly done).

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

(This pug is Boom Boom; we have another called Jelly Bean :)

I definitely don't want to bring the white laminate from the laundry through the mudroom. (I just finished those and I'm disappointed; I went cheap and it shows).

Although I haven't finalized it, the backsplash tile I use in the kitchen will likely be a slate falling water design which is similar to the porcelain tile in my laundry, and I might use the same backsplash in the laundry. I will probably use the same door pulls in the laundry as well.

Anita

Comments (9)