SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

Machine that can sew heavy and light fabric?

michelle_co
16 years ago

Hi,

My head is spinning from looking at machines, HELP! I currently have a Juki lockstick/industrial that works for most of what I sew (english saddle blankets & some other horse tack). I would like a machine that can sew breeches out of lycra & stretchy stuff and zigzag the edges and center seam of my blankets. For example, the center seam is two layers of fabric, two of heavy fleece interfacing, four layers of high loft poly batting, and two layers of flannel (pretty thick!). Oh, and for that I use a heavy thread.

Currently I use my grandma's ancient machine for simple zigzag, but it's sooooo old and slow and won't sew thick material. And it skips stitches and the zigzag settings creep out of adjustment as you sew... I want an upgrade, and she wants to use MY new machine, which is cool with me. :-)

I might like to do some basic quilting work later on, but it's not a primary function for now. Honestly, I am not used to having many stitch options so I have no idea what I would do with all the fancy stitches! I looked at the Bernina Activa 230 and it seems like pure overkill. Lovely machine, but just way too much.

Anyway, please suggest away. I would like a GOOD, RELIABLE, workhorse machine that emphasizes utility over wizardry.

Here's a completed quilted saddlepad, this was done on the Juki:

{{!gwi}}

Thanks!!!

Michelle

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County