SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmy23

HELP...Range Venting Quandry

tmy23
14 years ago

Greetings and thanks in advance to all!!

We're doing a complete kitchen gut/remodel, I built a custom vent enclosure for a 54" vent (above a 48" 5 star range) that is on the outside wall. I purchased a Broan RMIP-45 with 54" liner and a 600 CFM external blower (Broan 331H). There is not enough ceiling height to run the venting a long distance along the ceining or in a soffit, so everything has to fit within the 24" deep, 54" wide and 30" high "box" that I built above the range to contain the insert. Actual location of the likely hole through the outside is about 1' above and 2' to the left of the vent coming off the insert. I was planning to use flexible 10" aluminum pipe and run 2 loops around the inside of the box to gain some pipe length to reduce noise before attaching to a damper and then out to the blower. I can run appriximately 14' of 10" flex around the inside of the box in this manner. Talking today to Broan, the tech said I should probably just skip all that and go with an integral blower and right out the back outside wall and accept the noise. BUT I don't want to accept the noise and I do want to be able to vent. I thought of incorporating a fantech or trade-wind silencer in the loop.

I understand that noise is "relative" and that it surely won't be silent, but with the set up that I have to deal with, does anyone have a recommendation for the least noisy operation? ...Besides not turning the blower on :):)

thanks!!!

Comments (13)