SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beeps_gw

How to redo these danish modern teak dining chairs.

beeps
11 years ago

My style strongly leans contemporary, but I inherited my parents danish modern teak dining room table and 4 side chairs. And I don't want to get rid of them, at least not the table. So, I'd appreciate ideas on how you would redo these chairs for a more contemporary look. Or, should I get rid of the chairs and find something else?

A few thoughts - they chairs are too low for me (and I'm tall!) so I'd like to raise the seat some. I don't like the caned rush seats so would like to redo the seat but hate to have the caning/weaving removed because the seats are in fine condition. Someday maybe I'll like them that way (although I doubt it because I've never liked that part of the set). I'm ok with the backs.

So, should I have the seat redone somehow? Should I sell these chairs and buy some other chair that would go with my new 50 year old danish modern table? Also, I'm downsizing a bit and will not longer have a formal dining room in my new house so the table will be in a kitchen nook area. There will be a breakfast bar on the island which will be used for everyday meals. But this will be in the kitchen area with gray tile floors, Alaska White granite, espresso cabs and stainless appliances.

The pic is *not* a pic of my actual table and chairs. The chairs, however, are identical. The table I have is not drop leaf, the leaves slide under the top so you can use the ends even when not extended.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

Comments (23)