SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimsic

long time no sew

mimsic
16 years ago

I am trying to decide whether to repair an old machine or buy a new one. I used to make all my own clothes and even made my wedding dress, a pretty simple Vogue pattern back in the early 70s. However, it has been many years since I have done any sewing. So should I repair an old machine or buy a new one.

The long story:

About 20 years ago I bought a Singer Merritt sewing machine (about $150) and used it only a few times before I began having problems with it. What I remember is that I took it to be repaired and was told it would cost $100. It seemed too much at the time and I just left it sitting, thinking I would take it someplace else but never did.

I just opened it up yesterday to try to figure out what the problem was. It seems the feed-dog doesn't pull the fabric through.

The dilemma:

Is it worth the cost of repairing this machine or should I buy a new one? If I buy one I need advice about what to buy. I would like a working sewing machine to play around with but am afraid I might not do much more than play, in which case it would be foolish to spend a lot of money. On the other hand, I don't want to get something that will be frustrating to use and contribute to giving up on sewing again. What should I do?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living