SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_east_gw

Marble or Wood Island---need opinions!

nancy_east
16 years ago

Hello all,

This board has been, by far, the most invaluable tool for planning my kitchen in our new home! I thank every one of you who has responded to my posts thus far.

I have a decision to make that is driving me batty and was hoping to seek more counsel here: My kitchen will have a 26" x 66" island in the center and I am debating what kind of countertop to use. I will have soapstone perimeter with ivory shaker cabinets on the perimeter and a knotty alder island in a walnut stain. I will also have a raised bar at our peninsula that will have a walnut countertop.

The 3 choices I have narrowed my island down to are: Honed marble (either calcutta or carrara), maple butcher block or bamboo parquet butcher block. I am working a little with a decorator who thinks I should go with the marble or a honed granite that has a similar appearance. The people who are doing my countertops are very versed in different materials and really are advising me against the marble (for all the obvious reasons that I *think* I'm okay with--the staining I know can be greatly prevented but I'm not sure enough about etching to know how much I can live with and be happy--I wish I could find some good photos of etching of white marble tops to help me understand what it looks like better. Obviously, I'm okay with patina since I'm going with soapstone but I know marble shows a different kind of patina!). The butcher block idea appeals to me somewhat but my decorator thinks it might look a little "heavy" with the knotty alder being stained dark and then wood going on top of that. The parquet bamboo just might look a little busy, in my opinion, and I'm not crazy about the parquet look on floors (but will it be different on a countertop in a smaller pattern?)

Help! I can't sleep at night trying to make this decision and would love some advice from all of you are so talented and gifted at making your kitchens pop and shine!!

One other technical question--how do you get followup messages sent to your inbox--even if I check the box to receive copies, I never receive them! I have a hotmail account--any help with that would be most appreciated too!

Comments (9)