SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertsteph

I now have 6 or so holes on the south wall of my closet!

desertsteph
11 years ago

I drilled 'em in! looking for more studs. I'd already found them on the back wall but forgot the side walls. I basically just drilled below the brackets higher up figuring those would be tied into studs. they were on the back wall and the north wall. not on the south wall tho! I found 1 stud but about 6 more holes later, no 2nd stud. yikes - it's only a span of about 20"! but surely there should be another one between the back wall and 20" out from it.

I guess I'll have to get one of those drywall anchor thingies to use for the 2nd screw then.

and put a dab of glue on those extra holes - they're tiny from the drill bit.

I got everything measured out and marked level and 1 back wall brace screwed in. Then I was tired. i'd already done some other things there - like scrubbing out and putting down shelf liner on the 2 bottom shelves of a bookcase.

and played 'catch' about 3,450 times... scrubbed up my coffee pot, the bathroom sink and counter top...

with it all measured out (and marked in pencil on the walls), the studs located (except the missing one) and holes drilled into the studs I should be able to finish it up tomorrow (minus 1 screw). Another day I'll do the closet in the NW bedroom. 1 full and 1 partial shelf to go in there yet and the store/craft room just needs an extra brace under the bottom shelf. I have a metal bracket to go under it. I might add that into my list for tomorrow.

the really high up shelves I'm not doing. I have the shelves and braces for 1 of those in each of my bdrm closets. I couldn't reach that high even on my step stool. those'll wait til someone tall and better at balancing can do it.

all the shelves are ready - primed and painted. I've got a number of boxes just waiting for a shelf to call home!

Comments (10)