SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom1sm2

Christmas break....driving me nuts!!!

15 years ago

Any other NCSP out there who have SKs for xmas break? My SS (10) is here for xmas break and will go back to his other home on Sunday. The kids here already started school so he has no more friends to play with and is bored. I talked with him about what he would be doing at his mom's to try to get an idea of what I could do to keep him occupied and he seems to have less to do there than here. It is not that he is being bad, but he does the whole "oh darn" thing when dad has to work and I have to work. I work from home (WAHM) and so we are here, but I still have a certain amount of work to get done. I have really barely worked since he has been here due to the holidays, but he still complains. My DH has not worked that much either, but he complains that dad has to work. We explained, and have done so many times, that we still have to have a normal life when he is here and part of that is working to pay the bills. I am sure this is totally normal for kids, but I get to feeling so guilty and then I get irritated because I feel like he thinks that we are just his toys that should drop everything to play with him. We see him once to twice a month on long weekends, most of the summer, spring break, and all other long holidays. My DH does usually get the weekends off that he is with us so it is not like I do not understand where he is coming from, but it just seems like no matter what I do for him such as going to the movies, toy stores, playing video games with him, playing boardgames, letting him have sleepovers, taking him to hockey games, etc it is just never enough. I let his friend stay over on New Year's Eve and he got a bit bummed that his friend could not come with us for our family fun night out the next night. I am sure this is normal for a kid and esp a child of divorce who everyone is always trying to make things up to, but it drives me a bit nuts and makes me feel so guilty. My DH says that it should not make me feel guilty and that kids just get bored and never quit wanting things and he has to deal with it, but I it still drives me nuts. He has this constant need to be entertained that I just do not get. Any advice.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio