SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heritage_john

Altering clothing and numbers

heritage.john
17 years ago

I'm 22 and a guy. My problem is, my shoulders seem to need me to buy medium sized shirts to get the sleeve starting in the right place, whereas I excercise pretty much every night and so am thin enough that the rest of my torso seems to need a small size. For instance, the shirt I have on now fits my shoulders pretty well, but has about 25 - 50% more room in it than I need, so it tends to look baggy at the back - even though it's supposed to be fitted.

I've never tailored clothing before (I know what darting is and can restitch holes in my trousers without completely messing them up), but would like to be confident enough to take some shirts apart and refit them to be a bit more accurate.

Rehemming for length I don't expect will be too complicated and I know there are a couple of questions here I can read on that. But doing things like altering the profile of a shirt I could really use help with - for example, if you're going to cut darts into things, where should they end, how wide should they be etc. I expect this can all be done by eye if you're a tailor, but I know that there are also clothing equations / formulas to help calculate where things should be. Does anyone have any helpful links with such information on them or, if not precise formulas, simply information about where cuts should be made, what shape etc?

I suppose I'm in the lucky position of having material spare in my clothes, as I can unpick the stitching and remove some rather than trying to add it.

I still have all my old school shirts at home, so next time I go back I think I'll get busy on them as practice.

Thanks and happy christmas!

John

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH