SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren0319

Should I repaint? :( PICS

lauren0319
12 years ago

I am so totally bummed. I have a sweet 2 1/2 year old little girl and a second girl on the way; should arrive in about 6 weeks! My husband and I are redoing our "loft" and turning it into a girly, fun, and whimsical playroom for our girls. I have this couch that is really comfortable that I would like to keep in the room. The top half of the room is SW Antique White and we just painted the bottom half SW Inspired Lilac, which is a lovely lavender. I LOVE it! My MIL just came into town. She has a very good eye for color and design and also sews beautifully. I have asked her to make valences for the playroom. She really really thinks the lavender and the couch look awful together and thinks I should repaint. I would love to find a way for them to work together.... I love the lavender... the couch is fine. I do not want to get rid of it, nor do I want to slipcover it. (I just think slipcovers tend to look sloppy.) WDYT?

PS- I just went upstairs to snap these photos... the room is a bit messy but I didn't have time to straighten it- better pics to come later! :)

Looking into the playroom from the hallway.

Wall colors

sofa

sofa2

Close up

We will probably keep the room this way for ~5 years, until my girls are older. I am eyeing these fairy prints- LINK below, but nothing is set in stone.

SO- wdyt? Any way for the sofa and lavender to work together? If so, wwyd about window treatments? Or should I repaint?

Here is a link that might be useful: Emma Thomson fairy prints

Comments (48)

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Lauren,
    I know you probably do not want to hear this but I think I agree with your MIL. Here is a sample with the bottom wall done in a closer match to your couch. Just for a kind of visual.
    I do not know where in the country you live, but am hopeful you are not having too much of a heat wave because the last 6 weeks in pregnancy can be hard enough without the added heat.
    Good luck to you.

{{!gwi}}

• jen9
    12 years ago

I hate to say it, but I agree with your MIL. Given your parameters (no slipcover, want to keep the couch in there), I would repaint. Perhaps a soft green?

• Related Discussions

Should I repaint this one wall?

Q

Comments (24)
    May I add my two cents to the mix? I was (retired now) a professional portrait photographer and in our studio we (after several iterations) used a medium neutral gray with gray glaze as background for our portraits. It allows the skin tones to really sing, and that after all is the point of a portrait. Using a warm background would be the opposite of that. So if you want to play up the blue color use a warm background color. Gray is such a useful color and if used correctly will not even register when someone looks at the wall, all they will see is the fine portrait. One small suggestion, if you prefer to keep the painting off-center on the wall you could put the plant up on the hearth to balance it. Right now the negative space is too strong there. Nice painting. I paint also but not portraits. Denise
    ...See More

SEE PICS! Shall I repaint Kit' Island Lt Blue? Mistake? or FANTASTIC!

Q

Comments (120)
    I'm sorry about the ordeal you have been through! Your new home is gorgeous. As others have said, I hope that once you move your things into this home, it will begin to feel more like home. Have you considered staining the wood hood to the same toffee color as the cabinets? That would make your island more of the focal point and would be a relatively inexpensive fix I would hope. I would also get some really unique pendants that reflect your style to hang over the island. I think those two actions would really make the space pop until you've lived in the space for awhile and know what you want. Right now, the cream colored hood keeps standing out when I look at the kitchen photo. Best of luck as you and your family settle into your home!
    ...See More

I’m repainting - What should I do with my fireplace?

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments about the fireplace - maybe it's not so bad after all! Ha! Rugknots - you're probably right that I've gotten so used to it that I'm just thinking it looks dated. But we'll see what it looks like after the repainting. You've all got me thinking now about moving forward with getting rid of the entertainment center before I was really planning to! Perhaps I should really move THAT to Phase 1 and move the new furniture to Phase 2! Hmmm! tylerandabby - I never THOUGHT about taking off the side pieces! I know they are screwed into the main center piece (because I remember the RACKET the screwdriver made when the installer screwed them together!) But the top piece is connected to the bottom piece so I'm not sure I can take it apart. Something to investigate though. Thanks for the idea!
    ...See More

Should I repaint all trim in the kitchen and walls?

Q

Comments (3)
    Before repainting anything, get your fixed elements in place because paint matches those and not the other way around. Paint comes in almost infinite colours; counters and flooring, not so much. Often recommended here that cabinets and trim match. As for wall colour flashing violet or whatnot, difficult to confirm on a screen or monitor because devices can't all be trusted to render colours accurately. Trust your eyes because you're living in the actual space.
    ...See More
  • natal
    12 years ago

I love the colors you chose!

Personally I think the sofa looks out of place in a playroom.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL- I'm in San Antonio, luckily I'm used to the heat ;)

I just want to keep the sofa in there bc I can see myself nursing the new baby upstairs while big sister plays... also we read a lot of books and it's a very comfortable spot for us both to sit. So the sofa is staying. I want the paint color to stay... but I also want it to look nice. Repainting wouldn't be a big deal... but I just LOVE the lavender!

• natal
    12 years ago

Then it sounds like your best bet would be a slipcover. It's a playroom. No big deal if the sofa doesn't always look perfect.

• natal
    12 years ago

Oh ... and if it were slipcovered with a solid color you'd have more options as far as patterned window treatments.

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

Can you do some pictures and drapes that have both the pink and the lavender in them?

• User
    12 years ago

I was hoping to see pics of the Antique White soon! I really, really like those two colors together but agree it doesn't look the best with the couch.

I also don't care for some of the slip covers out there and believe they would get on my nerves to live with. If you could find one that fit properly, I'm assuming you'd have to have one made...and in that case, it might just be cheaper and easier to repaint.

I'd either repaint, something more along the lines of the mock up Lyban did, or just live with it as is.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    12 years ago

Could you take a close-up photo of one of the cushions in good light? I think a tone of lavender may work, just not the clear light color that you chose. It's a great color, but just not with your sofa.

Without being able to see all the colors in the cushion close up, I'm looking at perhaps (and they may be all wrong) SW 6052 Sandbank, 6031 Glamour, 6024 Dusty Rose.

In my BM fan deck, I see a softened rosy colors like 2104-50 cherry malt, 2103-50 sandblast, 2102-50 rose bisque.

I'd take my sofa fabric to the paint store and hold it near the wall of chips. Colors that will blend beautifully with your fabric ought to stand out for you. Do check them in daylight as often the stores have fluorescent light which makes them look totally different.

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

I think you ought to either repaint or do a slipcover.
    My first choice would be a slipcover because it's less work for you, and the I like the paint you have now.

• peegee
    12 years ago

Although I'd prefer Lyban's mock-up or similar, it *is* a playroom, after all...everything does not have to be so serious/perfect... Right now it looks too wishy-washy. If I REALLY liked such a combination, I'd try to make it work by adding a couple toss pillows in the lavender, make an abstract or watercolor over the couch including the three colors, and find some other ways to make the combination look intentional and fun! For example, paint a wicker toy box lavender with a rose or what ever the couch color is cousion seat, have a stained glass panel made for the window, add cream curtains and make tiebacks trimmed with fabric from one of the couches pillows with lavender ball-fringe added, etc. Lavender polka dots on a lamp shade etc. etc. If you love it, go for it! If you tire of it, then repaint...

• nostalgicfarm
    12 years ago

I would do a slipcover. They can look very nice in a room. Plus, easy cleanup of you have a spitter ;)

• punamytsike
    12 years ago

I do not see a problem with the current colors, especially if you bring in more accessories that use the same color as the bottom or use both colors, pink in the couch and purple on the wall.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That you all so much for your honest opinions. I really really detest slipcovers. I wonder how much it would be to reupholster. Any idea? I do have a contact that does reasonable work... I'm just not sure what "reasonable" is. It is not a huge sofa- It is called "apartment size."

I just love the lavender and think it's so fun and girly without being super bold, if that makes sense. So let's say I reupholster... what would you do, knowing you had a 2 1/2 year old and a newborn? A solid? (fwiw, I do not allow any food or drinks upstairs.) But I still need something that is easy to maintain and keep clean.

I am so bummed. I suck at decorating.. lol.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I would repaint, not reupholster. I know how hard it is to give up a vision - I've had plenty that didn't work out IRL like in my head - but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Plus, it's an upstairs playroom, not a public room. With a little one and another one on the way, I'm sure you have plenty of places to put your hard-earned money, and it will probably cost you at least $500 to reupholster that sofa, if you're lucky. There are nearly limitless paint colors. Find another pretty color that works with your sofa and you'll have a new vision, a cheaper vision. You'll have your great place to hang out with your daughter and feed your new baby, and money in your pocket.:)
    Dee

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Dee. I actually just stumbled on a website, surefit slipcovers.... they get really good reviews and it looks like I could slipcover it for less than $75. So that is an option. You are totally right that it is an upstairs playroom... at the very end of a halllway, so NOT a public room by any means...
    I just really don't want a sage or rose colored paint. That is just so mature to me... and the couch is mature. I see us using it for a good 5 more years, so it's hard to decide what to do. Repaint or recover (either slipcover OR reupholster.) Heck, Costco usually has a leather (-ish) sofa for less than $500..... maybe I should replace! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Surefit Slipcovers

• User
    12 years ago

Is there a chance you'd use the couch anywhere else in the house later? If so, then it would seem a little more practical to reupholster since you really like the paint color and I'd personally pick something neutral. You're saying about only using it for another 5 years so it might not be worth the cost.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Magnaverde (my hero) says sometimes the easiest thing to change is our attitude. In your case, it does not sound like you need to change the attitude about your room. YOU like the colors, YOU like the sofa.

I am not sure what the problem is. Who are you decorating this room for? Your MIL? The people on this board? Only if YOU do not like the paint or sofa would I suggest anything. Otherwise, I cannot fathom why you would change a thing.

By the way, I am 100% with you on having a sofa in a playroom. We always do-- just like you, it is a lifesaver when you are nursing the baby, and to snuggle and read! I also make my kids play with me on the sofa when it's things like their little animals. It's where they serve me "cake," too!

Congratulations on your baby-- take this time to rest up for your little one's arrival and not stress over people's opinions over something you enjoy.

IF you really want to make a change-- an easy one-- I would recommend hanging up artwork that has the pink of the couch. A great way to do it would be to look for artwork that your daughter has created. Another thing we've done is to scan in the covers of books we love-- you could do that, and then look for some covers that specifically have the colors of the couch.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I do have a Surefit slipcover on an old wing chair at our weekend cabin, one of the stretchy ones (the slipcover, not the cabin), and I like it very much. If you can get one of the stretchy ones, they fit much better than the others.

When my kids were little, I also had a floral sofa I needed to cover to use in our loft room, and I used a cream color sheet, tucked in with plastic tubes, and purchased ruffled shams for the back cushions. It looked really cute, though maybe a more casual look.
    Dee

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

You mentioned fairy art-- here is another artist you might like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cicely Mary Barker

• tracey_b
    12 years ago

I agree with the majority of posters, BUT, it's YOUR house and you get to do what you like--besides, it's not in a "public" room where anyone else is ever going to see it unless invited up there.

Having said that---what about that lavender color on TOP and another color on the bottom of the wall, a color that makes the sofa look better? I can't really tell what colors are in the sofa, but what about a sage green in a deep enough color that it sets off the lighter lavender?

What lucky girls to have such a playroom!

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I agree with anele.

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

I'm so glad that anele posted the Cicely Mary Barker fairies. We have her books and they were my DD's favorites. The prints have a more classic look than the ones you posted and I think that have more of the same feel as your sofa.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If you painted the top half a more khaki type color, pulled from the couch, it would help the couch belong there better.
    I'd try recovering just the pillows on the back of the couch. I'm thinking a soft peachy pink for the larger ones with the 2 small ones the color of the newly painted upper wall. That would tone down the pattern a bit and de-emphasize the beige.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i would absolutely slip cover...reupholstering for a playroom is not economical! and trying to decorate a little girls playroom around a sofa that is not your vision of'little girly' doesn't make sense to me...

i am definitely NOT a fan of slipcovers- had one years ago for a loveseat which i hated. but, i did get a surefit STRETCH slipcover for a wingchair that i wanted to use and didn't want to spend much $ on and the stretch slipcover is SOOO much better than the tie type. i would at least give something like that a try- just return it to the store if it really doesn't fit the way you want it too. i would try hard to make do with a sofa cover though so that i could have the look i wanted for the playroom!

• les917
    12 years ago

I have read the responses, and agree with the stand that it is YOUR house and YOUR vision that matters here. So if you like it, keep it.

That said, I do think the lavender is too pale and soft for the intensity of the couch. But the other thing is, why paint the lavender on the bottom of the wall, where it is mostly hidden by furniture and toys? I know it was a way to hide the burgundy that was there. But to me, as tracey b said, I would paint the TOP lavender, and do the bottom in a creamy beige that works with the couch.

Also, I am not sure that you need to worry about the room pleasing your daughters as far as a paint color being 'girly' or being too mature. The kids won't care as long as they have fun toys, great books, and YOU in the space!

• babs711
    12 years ago

I love the lavender but think the reason there are color issues is because of the tones that clash. The lavender is cool, your top paint shade is a neutral but your sofa has warm tones in it that are clashing with the cool tones of the lavender.

When I think of slipcovering your sofa, I'm thinking of tailored (ala Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, etc) slipcovering. Do you feel those are sloppy looks? I think for a playroom, it would be perfect and would give you the option of removing and washing the covers as they get dirty. I wish I'd thought of doing that when we bought our playroom sofa. As of now I have to spot clean and it's a big pain. This will be more cost effective than reuphostering and give you more options for more fun or a plainer fabric that has a better playroom feel to it as well. This was you can keep your paint colors but match your colors better and later, repurpose the floral sofa to another room if you wish.

• User
    12 years ago

You said your MIL sews. Can she make a fitted slipcover for the frame and new covers for each cushion? I also am not a fan of the slipcovers that fit over the whole coach. But, the ones that are over the frame, and the cushions are individually covered is a look I like a lot.

• tfm1134
    12 years ago

I agree and don't think they go together. I would slipcover the couch.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would love that, jillinnj! I will ask :)

So lets say I go the slipcover route. Whether it's made by MIL or I buy a Surefit STRETCH cover.... which color? I agree that the lavender I chose is "cool." Could I do a tan slipcover? I'm thinking a "taupe" might be better (link below)

Then we would have a much easier time finding fabrics for valances. That is what started this whole thing- we're struggling to find material for the "fun and girly" window treatments. I'm thinking fun colors, with ball fringe... My first thought was lavender/purple and lime green... but we may do multi-colored. Any thoughts?

The Cecely Mary Barker prints match the couch more, but are not the look I am going for. I really want whimsical and fun :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Stretch 3 pc in Taupe

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Woops- linked the wrong slip covers. I would probably do the 3 pc in taupe or oatmeal. (I thought I had T cushions... I do not :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Stretch 3 pc slipcover

• User
    12 years ago

I agree with the MIL. The problem is that the wall is "clean" - a clear color shade - and the couch is "dirty" - a muted or muddy shade. And the clean pastel makes the couch look bad.

Can you try with a dusty or greyed lavendar?

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I didn't read all of the replies, but I do have three kids, one boy and two girls. Given that it's a playroom for girls, I'd take my cues from that and look into slicovering the sofa if it irks you to not have everything match. I've noticed most "girl" toys are in the pastel pink-lavendar-white-yellow colorscheme; most "boy" toys are in primary colors. In my situation and when my elder two were younger and had a dedicated playroom, we had both "girl" and "boy" toys and guess what? They both enjoyed playing with all the toys. My personal feeling is not to pigeon hole kids or only provide gender specific toys. So, while you may be starting out with more of a traditional girl's colorscheme, at some point it most likely going to be a hodge podge of colors and toys, artwork on the walls and that's a good thing. I think your latest plan to keep the existing paint colors and do a more neutral slipcover is a good move. Think of this as a creative space for your girls to grow and thrive; don't worry so much about everything "matching." They are very lucky little girls to have such a nice space to play!

• natal
    12 years ago

I don't see a color called oatmeal. I think you need something lighter ... something that also coordinates with the Antique White paint. I know you said you don't like loose, but I think this would be a better look ... at least colorwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: PB slipcover in Cream

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

One more option to throw out since you are OK with the slipcover look now-- I just stumbled on this sofa from World Market. Looks very comfy (but go try it!), small scale, and reasonable.

(Says it is a sofa but it is more like a LS, IMO.)

I agree w/Les that the lavender will be hidden on the bottom.

val, I have the same feeling about toys/playroom decor, personally. Actually, my ideal playroom is one that has subtle, soothing colors with a lot of natural wood and wooden toys. I prefer no primary colors since they are a little bold and I feel overstimulating. We once had a red rug in our playroom (well, we still do but now they are not RED but more along the line of Persian rugs) and it drove me crazy.

Here is a link that might be useful: World Market LS

• ojoy119
    12 years ago

I would say no, do not repaint now. You love the lavender and no the couch doesn't go but who is going to be in the room that really cares? Your beautiful girls won't care and that's who the rooms is for. I would wait on making any decorating decisions now because as I have learned pregnancy hormones have a way of messing with you in all sorts of ways, I know this from experience times 3. I would wait until baby is 6 months to a year to relook and see what you love and what you don't before you decide. Function beats beauty when you are a busy mommy. Congrats and rest now while you can!

• mellyc123
    12 years ago

Does the chair have green in it, what about white?
    If so I would paint the wall the lightest shade green in the sofa, and I would paint the legs on the sofa the lightest shade of offwhite or white that is in the sofa.

I hate slip covers also and the cost of reupholstering is probably excessive.

Try to find a way to work in the light green with the lavender in another area of the room.

• pammyfay
    12 years ago

Concerning slipcovers--

When I slipcovered a small, apartment-size sofa in my former apt's LR (it's now in my finished basement), I bought some clear plastic triangular-rod thingies that are meant to slip in where the sides and back meet the seat and tuck down, so they keep the extra material from slipping "up" -- and I found that they really worked to keep the slipcover looking nice and neat. The slipcover I have is a light blue jean denim and looks great.

• punamytsike
    12 years ago

I guess I am stubborn, but I still think that bringing those two colors together - pink and violet - either in art or fabric or both ways into the room will make the paint and sofa work together just fine.

Few mock-ups:

and my personal favorite:

• aunttomichael
    12 years ago

I completely agree with punamytsike, and for me, it's not just a question of making it work but reveling in the freedom that decorating a girls' playroom gives you. I love the lavender and I also love the couch. Together they are funky and whimsical. But you can't just have these two contrasting colors; you need a critical mass of roses and pink and fairies and lavender. I would add the art shown above, plus valences bringing in both roses and lavender, something like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0055ZKN3Y/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous

Plus a rug with the same theme. It will be lovely and it will work. You will probably change the room in a few years anyway, so enjoy the fun and whimsy now.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Looking at the mockups, I think IF you are going to repaint, just stick with repainting the top-- I think someone suggested this-- more of a khaki to tie in the sofa.

Or, don't bother! Paint fumes are bad for PG women anyway! My playroom is the one that is most haphazard and I LOVE IT. It is just so friendly and inviting to me because it has children's things in it that are not junky! It's also where they do their creating . . .this is what I focus on!

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I hope you do try a slip cover or something.
    The sofa looks comfy, all right, :), but it also looks dirty. Perhaps a good cleaning would brighten its colors?

The lavender is pretty on its own, though. I can see why you love it!

Christine

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

punamytsik- I am really liking that first print you photoshopped in... where is that from?

• punamytsike
    12 years ago

Here is the link

Here is a link that might be useful: pink ballerina fairy

• yogacat
    12 years ago

Speaking of Magnaverde -- he painted a fabric sofa with semi-gloss latex paint! The link is to Magnaverde's painting instructions which funcolors posted on her web site. There are pictures of other painted upholstery there as well, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to paint a sofa

• bittersweetdreams
    12 years ago

Have your mother in law sew some cute pillows in the lilac shade, maybe a plaid? Get a nice dark rich purple throw for the cool nights and toss it over one of the arms, or over the back of the couch to play up the purple/lilac. Leave the couch, leave the paint, accessorise to compensate. It's your little girls playroom.

Remember, they will forever remember all of the times their mommy spent reading and snuggling them and will never remember if the color their playroom couch matched the walls perfectly.

• madeyna
    12 years ago

You could always sell the sofa and find a new one with nuetral colors on creigs list. That way you can change that room as many times as you want and just add new throw pillows on the sofa when you want to change up the room.

• k9arlene
    12 years ago

I would definitely reverse the colors -- pink on top! That way, the sofa will be up against the neutral color and won't 'clash' with the pink.