SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_2008

Evening Dress - Part 3

Laurie
14 years ago

This is a continuation of my earlier posts. The wedding is April 17, that's 5 months away. I am almost done with the skirt. Need to hem the fabric & lining & finish the slit opening. The top is almost done, as well. Just have not sewn the lining to the fabric.

I am still pondering what to do with the princess seams on the wrong side of the fabric. I have pressed several times and the ham that Myrna suggested is a great tool that helps the curves press flat. The seams are trimmed to 1/2"..right to the edge of my machine basted line. Sherry mentioned the possibility of using pinking shears to trim those seams shorter and I do have a pair (Wiss 9"). They are old and not very sharp. I've looked online at ways to sharpen them (foil folded or fine sandpaper folded...then cut through it several times). Or, maybe I'll just buy a new pair. As the seams are now, they press nicely, but don't stay that way. Kind of come away and I don't want extra "bulk" inside my top if I can help it. On the right side of the top, the seams look fine. Maybe I'm too concerned about the bulk inside, but it still bothers me.

While I'm wondering what to do about the top, I am going to cut out a sample jacket (the Vogue one in my first post). The Vogue dress size 18 seemed to work for me, so I was going to cut out the size 18 jacket to practice with.

When the dress & jacket are eventually done, Patti has got me interested in making a clutch purse...I am really looking forward to that : )

Comments (16)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County