SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Old House New Ideas

User
10 years ago

A couple of years back I started planning changes to our cottage kitchen. It sort of morphed into several other changes along the way, including a sitting area to the master bedroom, a new entry, an addition to the 8x12 kitchen, reshaping the back deck, and adding an outdoor shower. Include in this a whole house flooring replacement to ash hardwood. Also, a new roof in architectural shingles to include the sunporch roof being standing seam metal. I mean, I cannot give up the sound of rain on the roof ENTIRELY.

We already restored the decrepit cement block garage to become my Teahouse studio, so that is our temp storage spot while the remodel is in progress. We'll be redoing electrical, gas, and plumbing to meet current hurricane building standards. And just about this Saturday, there will be plans ready for issuing a building permit. That is BIG NEWS for me. It will probably avoid a DIVORCE at our house as well!

Since I cannot post the architectural drawings, I have the pencil drawings for different elevations of the remodel. Pretty details are not included here....things like the book shelves in several rooms, or storage builtins. What we can do ourself will be pulled out of the contractor's work and done by ourselves as time permits. I still love to paint, so I will be doing some of that.

So I'll be uploading a few of the recent drawings of the old and new space. NEW space is something like 9' deep by about 29' wide. Fourteen feet of width of the is in the kitchen. The rest is a sitting area added to the master, with a 2' deep full room-width closet at the far end, to supplement the walk-in closet. The entire back wall of this new space will be picture windows and 2 exterior doors opening onto a full width 8' deep deck, with a view of our back garden. I have my hosta garden back there. And, we love to garden. So there will be an outdoor shower at one end of the deck. I LOVE an outdoor shower!

Anyway, without further ado, the first pencil drawing. Hope you can blow it up to view the detail. My advice to anyone who thinks you'll never realize your dream, is to not give up. Eventually you will reach resolution.

So here is the latest for White Dove Cottage, a white stucco cottage built in 1950 in Mobile Alabama between Mobile Bay and Dog River, south of I-10 and in hurricane zone.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington