SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosieo_gw

Do I have it? NotAGalley 3.0 - please critique

rosieo
13 years ago

Thanks to all your help I think I've got it worked out. Please check my plan for any glaring errors, oversights, or room for improvement. I'm so ready to call this finished, lol.
{{gwi:1844116}}From kitchen for KF

For background context, we have a little farm in the mountains, we raise own food, and it's a small, cozy home. I do a lot of cooking and baking. I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

The kitchen is 15' long, with a 42" aisle. (Though I really prefer a 36" aisle, it just feels good to me.) There's an 11' island separating the kitchen from the living room.

I studied Buehl's zone descriptions very carefully and I think I've got it. I also gave a lot of thought to how I do things in the kitchen (I prefer to have the kitchen to myself but not be isolated) and how things might change as the kids get older.

I put the fridge on the edge so someone can get a drink or a snack without getting in my way.

The dishes and silver will go between the range and fridge (I usually plate at the stove) so the dishwasher can be emptied right into the cabinet across the aisle.

I made sure the dishwasher and oven door can be opened at the same time. The trash pullout will be under the sink on the left side.

Dh will attach the trash can to the back of the (unhinged) cabinet door and rig it with a magnet and pulley system. When I bump the door with my knee the whole thing glides out for hands free access. (Learned that from KF when we remodeled our old house and it worked GREAT.)

Prep zones will be beside and/or in front of the fridge. I located the sink centrally so it's handy from everywhere and I can avoid putting in a second sink.

I want to use the space in the back corner for a baking area. I have a large grain mill (2.5' tall) that'll go in the corner, along with the stand mixer and the food processor. I may do a free standing, marble topped table in that corner, don't know yet. Open to suggestions.

I debated making the kitchen into an L shape, but ultimately decided that I'd rather have the island longer and spend more time facing outward than facing the wall.

There will only be uppers on the back wall and I don't know what sizes would be best. I may do open shelving over the baking zone or at least part of it, because the grain mill is too tall to fit under upper cabs. I bake all our bread, etc and use the mill about 3/4 times a week.

I'm also not sure about optimal width of base cabinets. I only know I want drawers, and plenty of them. I LOVED the large drawers in my last kitchen.

There's a 1' overhang on the island counter, so the kids can eat breakfast at the bar. That's about all the space I could steal from the living room.

I didn't do any kind of message/communication thing because I personally prefer a dedicated kitchen. So I put that elsewhere.

So what do you think? Can I graduate from Kitchen Design 101 or do I need to do some remedial work?

Comments (13)