SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

opening up floor for plumbing and electrical?

kathec
13 years ago

My kitchen will be mostly DIY with a few subs for the stuff we can't handle. The idea is to make tweaks, rather than a full overhaul. DH and I have 2 different styles, philosophy is to do minimally invasive work. DH tends to think bigger, more like major surgery. We will be adding an island to the kitchen. My idea is to preserve our ceramic tile floor as much as possible (it's only 2 years old) and have the island for prep. It will be placed directly opposite of the main sink and stove wall. Due to space restrictions, it will only be one cabinet width deep about 25" and 6' long. DH thinks we should add electricity and a prep sink. He thinks it's doable, but I'm envisioning A LOT more work involved, flooring obviously, which I'm willing to concede, but also the issues with the utility extension will add to the time and cost.

So I need some advice. Has anyone done this and is it really as difficult as I'm imagining? Does anyone have a ballpark price for this? I'm estimating the extension roughly 6'. Or will I regret not having a sink in the main food prep area?

I'm on my 4th house and 5th kitchen (1st house remodeled). I've only had an island in 1 of those. The main sink and dishwasher were located in that island, so I've never had 2 sinks.

Thanks!

Kathe

Comments (10)