New to forum...candle questions
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
Related Discussions
Newbie Questions New to zone 7a and new to ws.
Comments (4)It's not too late! I'm in your zone but in North Georgia. I've just started winter sowing this past week. I also have red clay. Red clay is usually high in nutrients but lacking in organic matter. You should be able to drastically improve your soil with adding organic matter. I've found the best way to improve my clay soil is laying down builders paper and or cardboard and then covering with a thick mulch of things like straw, hay, leaves etc. The worms will show up under the paper and start breaking it all down and aerating the hard clay underneath and bringing organic matter into it. I also do raised beds but I don't want my whole yard raised beds iykwim. With my raised beds I've just had truckloads of landscapers mix brought in. The clay will take some time to improve though. I'm working on improving most of my yard and it's an acre. The soil was worse than average with all the topsoil having been scraped off and not even grass would grow in most places. :/ I've ordered from Diane's, Swallowtail Seed's and Fedco Seeds this winter. Fedco sells more vegetable seeds but I really like their flower and herb selection because they do have some good things and they offer a LOT of seed for far less than the average asking price. So I buy flower seed from them every year when I order my vegetable garden seeds. My plan this year is to start focusing on seed saving though so I don't have to buy so darn much! Good luck with your new yard!...See MoreNew house, new state, where to post questions?
Comments (1)If I were you, I would choose the forum that best suits your plants. For example, I grow a lot of fruit and edible plants; I also trade plants and seeds and hvae a vegetable garden. I post on these forums, fruit, vegetables, plant trade, seed trade, gardening, edible landscape and Virginia....See MoreNew member with new question -compare two systems
Comments (15)Augie What size and efficiency systems both up and down do you have now-cooling and heating? Any specific issues with existing systems? I will assume you have conventional furnaces now. If you replace only outside condenser and inside evap coil and pair with existing furnace, you are just as well off staying with basic 13 SEER condensers. If you want higher SEER 15+, you must go with either two stage var speed furnace or at very least a single stage furnace model with high eff x-13 blower. I also question the sizing of the furnaces you were quoted. I will give a pass to the dealers on furnace models because these Trane furnaces whether down flow or upflow are adaptable to horizontal application which I suspect is what you have now. In other words, not a big deal. I do take exception to Mike's statement above about a two stage furnace running on low stage 90% of the time. Not true unless you have a true two stage thermostat. In fact if you use the timer on the furnace, you would be running probably 90% of time in high stage. A pet peeve of mine what dealers do to homeowners in this area. And yes a two stage stat costs more but will easily pay for itself. At this moment AHRI site is down. I will look up a system using both two stage furnace XV80 and single stage high eff blower XT80 for upstairs. I also recommend a pleated filter media cabinet that Mike suggested. IMO This post was edited by tigerdunes on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 7:32...See MoreNew Day...New Question! Offset Drain in Sink?
Comments (14)I had a top mount sink with an offset drain AND faucet before and loved it. With the new remodel, just completed this week, I could not find an undermount,SS offset drain that fit my 30" base. I put the faucet in the middle to line up with the drain this time, but not sure I like it---seems to stick out too far and be in the way. I have a feeling that when I am working I will be turning the faucet to the side to get it out of the way. Too soon to tell yet if I really dislike it since I'm not really using it yet..have to get everything moved back in....See More- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- last year
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOMEThe Question That Can Make You Love Your Home More
Change your relationship with your house for the better by focusing on the answer to something designers often ask
Full Story
LIGHTING5 Questions to Ask for the Best Room Lighting
Get your overhead, task and accent lighting right for decorative beauty, less eyestrain and a focus exactly where you want
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROS12 Questions Your Interior Designer Should Ask You
The best decorators aren’t dictators — and they’re not mind readers either. To understand your tastes, they need this essential info
Full Story
EXTERIORSCurb Appeal Feeling a Little Off? Some Questions to Consider
Color, scale, proportion, trim ... 14 things to think about if your exterior is bugging you
Full Story
DOORS5 Questions to Ask Before Installing a Barn Door
Find out whether that barn door you love is the right solution for your space
Full Story
ORGANIZINGPre-Storage Checklist: 10 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Store
Wait, stop. Do you really need to keep that item you’re about to put into storage?
Full Story

DINING ROOMSDesign Dilemma: My Dining Room Needs Revamping!
Watch a dining-room makeover unfold in the Houzz Questions forum
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGClutter vs. Keepers: A Guide to New Year's Purging
Simple questions to get in touch with your clutter comfort level — and figure out what needs to go
Full Story
ARCHITECTURE10 Things to Know About Prefab Homes
Are prefab homes less costly, faster to build and greener than homes constructed onsite? Here are answers to those questions and more
Full StorySponsored
bphobrien