SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sewing_newbie

Shirt Hemming

sewing_newbie
16 years ago

Hi everyone! I apologize about this ahead of time, but I'm completely new to sewing. Everything I know, I read only about an hour ago (and I'm sure it's not extensive in any way).

I'm a short person, and a lot of the clothes I buy require additional alterations (sleeve length, inseam length, etc.) Instead of sending my things off to my local cleaners, I thought of the possibility of maybe doing it myself (with the right tools, of course). I have no problems with my cleaners, they do a wonderful job; I would just like to save money.

Out of all the things I need to learn, according to my research, it seems like doing a shirt tail hem may be the most time-consuming. My question is this: When hemming a shirt with a shirt tail, is it better to convert it to a straight bottom (with little side vents) and hem it that way? I know it may be a personal preference to certain people, but let's say that I do not care if it's a shirt tail or a straight bottom -- would it be easier to convert a shirt tail to a straight bottom with side vents, or is that on par with doing a shirt tail hem?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide to this newbie. Have a good one!

P.S. I'm sorry if I goofed on the terminology as well!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH