SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

Dissect my kitchen plan please

shelly_k
15 years ago

Hi, I posted all my plans on the Building a Home forum for general review. I got alot of criticisms and feedback (which I need!) on my kitchen so I wanted to get some more detailed comments on just my kitchen.

Some background:

*This is a 3 bedroom ranch with a Study because my husband runs his business out of our home. He needs dedicated space for that.

*The pocket office got alot of criticism. The reason I want it is I need a place for my own mail and laptop and just general stuff like that. I've always had desk areas in an open area in my kitchen. I use then alot but I hate how they always look cluttered. So that was the idea behind the pocket office -- a place that can be closed off when it looks disastrous. I know it's small, but I hope it is still usable.

*The architect put a spot in our kitchen for a range on one wall and ovens/microwave on another wall. I don't really like where the ovens are. Even by adding a pocket door to the pantry, I do want some counter space on one side of the oven. I really, really prefer wall ovens as opposed to an under cooktop oven, but my upper cabinet space is limited too.

*My deep freezer could go in the cleaning closet instead of the pantry. It will fit.

*We will have 11 ft walls throughout. I plan to have two levels of upper cabinets with the upper level being for stuff I don't use as much.

*I also plan to add a built in buffet style hutch in the breakfast area and remove the window on that side (opposite the patio doors). This will add more storage.

That's it! Please give me all your thoughts. I understand some of it is personal preference but it may be stuff that I hadn't thought of.

Comments (18)