SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
random_pup

Termites: How to remove and prevent them?

random_pup
15 years ago

My husband and I are about to buy our first ever house in North California. The termite inspection report indicated some Drywood termites. Now, we would like to take care of the termites before we move in to the house but I'd like to understand my options better.

After calling the inspection company and the PCB, my understanding is that Fumigation is the way to treat drywood termites. Since I had read a bit about soil treatment, foaming, etc. I inquired about these treatments and I was told that they do not apply to our case since we do not have subterranean termites. Is this correct?

How do home-owners deal with the termite issue? Ideally I'd like to be assured that we have eradicated any termites after the fumigation process but of course the inspection will be done by the folks who fumigate the house and they will naturally claim "mission accomplished."

Also, how does one prevent any new infestations? I was under the impression that soil treatments act as preventive measures but I was wrong in that they are only used to treat subterranean termites.

Comments (18)