SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniep_gw

Refrigerator outside the work triangle??

jenniep
15 years ago

Wow! After a 2 year and very frustrating house-planning process, I am so excited to have found this board! In the last 2 days I've found more useful advice here than I've gotten from architects and contractors! Maybe you guys can help me with my current dilemma.

I am in the planning stages to build a new house. We recently revised the kitchen and I'm having some problems with the layout.

The architect is proposing a kitchen layout that has the refrigerator and the stove on opposite ends of the kitchen with a 6 x 6 island in between them. If you imagine a compass, the sink is at North, the stove at East and the fridge at West, with the island smack in the middle. You'd have to walk around the island to get from one to the other.

He says the old work triangle is dead, and for bigger kichens with an island, this arrangement is fine. Does anyone have this arrangement? How do you like it? Has anyone used under-cabinet refrigerators near the stove to recreate the standard work triangle?

Any advice would be appreciated. I've lived all my adult life in tiny apartments (my 8 x 7 ft. galley kitchen feels perfect to me) so I can't really imagine what this is going to be like. Thanks.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH