SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margaret17

Kitchen design dilemma - work triangle

margaret17
3 years ago

Been reviewing and commenting on some other folks' kitchen plans. Decided to put mine up for critique. This will be new custom construction with rectangular great room with a kitchen, dining, and living room. Unfortunately the work triangle is terrible, with island directly between fridge and sink. However, there really isn't anywhere else to put the fridge. Wall with sink is wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling window (with spectacular views). Wall with stove feels too short (11' of counter space with 48" stove, so adding 36" fridge means just 2' of counter on either side (excluding corner)). The fridge can move to the opposite side of the wall it's on, but not to the middle. The opposite side puts it right in front of a passageway, which would get blocked when fridge door is open.

Would adding a prep sink to the island (as shown) solve my work triangle dilemma? Problem is, we already want a small bar sink with strainer next to stove. This would serve as a pot filler (I really don't like the ones that stick out of wall above stove) and a pasta strainer. We don't want to get rid of this sink, but three sinks in the kitchen seems like overkill.

Anyone have a similar configuration (with an island between fridge and sink)? Does it work or is it a constant pain?

Comments (27)