SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

when is a straight stitch machine no longer sufficient?

14 years ago

Let me start by saying how much I LOVE my sewing machine. I'm not a skilled sewer at all... I can make pillows and that's pretty much it! I sewed in home ec in school and with my grandmothers as I was a child and sold sewing machines and vacuums at Sears for a couple years (though I was much more into the vacuums since I collect them as a hobby), so I do know a bit about the machines, just not how to do very much to actually make something.

About two years ago, I was looking for a sewing machine as I tripped and fell while over the ironing board and broke my plastic thrift shop special all to pieces while carrying it. I found a lady on Craig's List who restored sewing machines with her husband and she made me an awesome deal on an old metal Brother (resembles the old Singers, I know when people hear Brother they think modern plastic junk, though the one I'm considering to supplement my existing machine has gotten glowing reviews). I named her Gretta. She came wit the original case with the original cellophane still on the handle and an extension table and she works beautifully and is just memorizing to look at. Lately, I've been playing with her and sewing a bunch of 3 and 1/2 inch squares together. Not really trying to make anything, but if a quilt happens I won't be upset!

I had a friend who needed to hem his pants and he knew that I had a sewing machine. When we tried that, I realized that maybe Gretta is inadequate. I think a free arm machine with a blind hem stitch would have done much better. I realize that I can make quilts and aprons and curtains and pillowcases on Gretta... but I may want to start doing applique which I would need at least a zig zag stitch for. It would also be nice to have a machine with an onboard thread slicer (either automatic or manual). I'm not going to (EVER) get rid of my beautiful metal machine or trade it for a plastic toy, but I think a supplemental machine would be a good thing. Just wondering if I'd ever use it enough to justify.

What do you think? What are the limits of a straight stitch only machine? Should I get Gretta a "friend" to keep her company on the sewing table?

Thanks!!

By the way... I'm also considering signing up for the Sewing 101 class at Joann's. Has anyone taken it, and if so, is it any good? I tried to find online what subjects are covered as I don't need to be taught how to thread a needle, but I wasn't able to! Also, if I start taking a sewing class and need a machine, Gretta is just too heavy to be hauling back and forth and I wouldn't want to risk giving her battle scars.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions