SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macfisto

Floor Bounce Around Aquarium

macfisto
17 years ago

Hello,

Here is my situation:

I have a 55-gallon aquarium in my living room. Ever since the aquarium has been in place (July of 2005), bounce in the floor has become very evident. Even walking anywhere near the aquarium results in noticeable bounce in the tank/stand and water movement. I have recently begun to educate myself on the components of the floor, and have discovered by entering my crawlspace that the aquarium is approximately mid-span of an 18-foot joist span (2x9" joists or so), parallel to the joists. The joists are 12-inches on-center. By inspecting the joists under the aquarium, there is some deflection of the joists. However, I have not seen any noticeable floor sag from above. From the research I have done, I have learned that this is probably the worst place in the house to have the aquarium. However, it is really the only reasonable place for me to have it, and I donÂt want to have to move it.

I have decided to install a beam constructed of two 2x8Âs (16Â in length) at mid-span. I have heard that this will be the most effective way of stopping floor bounce. My question involves rather or not I should attempt to slightly raise the deflecting joist with a floor jack in order to make it level. Am I correct in that joist deflection means that the joist itself has dropped slightly from the subfloor? Will raising the joist be safe with my aquarium up above? Since I donÂt see any floor sag from above, would it be just as effective to place the beam under the slightly deflecting joist to prevent any further deflection, and at the same time stop the floor bounce? Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments (10)