So where?

Whitelacey

So where does one meet new people? I have tried all different types of clubs thinking that I could meet people with similar interests but it really goes nowhere.

I am a young 61 who likes to be active and go out. I travel, having just returned home from a three week trip to France, hike, camp, garden, and attend the theater, symphony, car shows, sporting events, museums and street fairs. I am well-educated and well-informed and can hold an intelligent conversation on most topics.

I would like to meet women who share similar interests and can talk beyond their latest bargain from Wal-Mart and how cute their grand-children are. I would also like to meet men who enjoy going out and not to movies or bowling. I would like a relationship with said man (and yes, it includes THAT aspect of it), but I am definitely not looking for marriage. Been there. Never again.

So, where do I find these people? There must be others out there looking for the same.

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

I've had the best times & found the happiest & most interesting people when they & I have a reason to be where we are.

Habitat for Humanity, literacy advocacy, political activism, etc. will have interesting people participating.

Save    
PRO
Whitelacey

I volunteer for a Broadway theater thinking I would find someone with like interests. Nothing. Very frustrating.

Save    
joaniepoanie

Have you tried meetup.com? They have all kinds of groups.....everything from salsa dancing to knitting to cards to film lovers....you name it.

Save    
emma

I love movies and if you all lived here I would have you over for lunch and a good movie. I am watching Lord of the Rings today and working jigsaw puzzles. I am hitting the road this week if nothing comes up. I know that will help.

Save    
PRO
Whitelacey

Joanie,

I've tried the hiking meet-up several times. Everyone talks to the people they know and no one that they don't. I'm starting to think it's me......Nah, couldn't be!

Emma,

Where are you?

Linda

Save    
kayjones

No, Linda - it isn't you - people do tend to stick with what they know. Me - I've never met a stranger - I talk to everyone!

2 Likes Save    
emma

I am in Kansas, the middle of no where.

Kay I always talk to everyone. My friends said I was flirting with men when I smiled at them or said hi. I told them I smile at women also, what does that make me?

Save    
kayjones

I have only a handful of real friends - the rest are just 'meet and greet' and they're on their way. I like my own company, so it doesn't bother me that 'no one likes me'. I've been alone for 8 years, and the first few years were tough, but it is getting easier.

1 Like Save    
emma

Kay we are a lot alike except, when I became a widow, 7 years ago, I experienced my first real freedom and enjoyed it. Lately I have felt depressed at being alone. I like my own company also and the company of books, movies and jigsaw puzzles. But knowing I have a sis and 3 nieces in town and they never visit, is hard to live with. Any of them would come to help if I needed them but that not the same as just coming to see me.

Save    
eclair

I work most of the time which leaves zero time for socializing or going somewhere to try to meet someone. I've been alone for 15 years and do NOT want to be alone one minute longer. I never wanted to be alone. I used to go alone and do whatever I wanted to do. Now it's just too pathetic to go alone.

What's even more depressing is I know widows/widowers in their 70s and 80s who have boyfriends/girlfriends. I'm happy for them, that they don't have to be alone, but it reminds me what a pathetic life I have.

This post was edited by eclair on Fri, Feb 6, 15 at 18:39

Save    

Related Stories

Bathroom Workbook Bath Remodeling: So, Where to Put the Toilet?
By JW
There's a lot to consider: paneling, baseboards, shower door. Before you install the toilet, get situated with these tips
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Where to Splurge, Where to Save in Your Remodel
Learn how to balance your budget and set priorities to get the home features you want with the least compromise
Full Story
DIY Projects Maker Faire: Pancake Printers, an Electric Giraffe and So Much More
Passionate makers bring their latest wares to an annual festival where creativity meets tech
Full Story
Decorating Styles So Your Style Is: Coastal
Bright and breezy, coastal style transports you straight to the beach no matter where you call home
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Power to the People: Outlets Right Where You Want Them
No more crawling and craning. With outlets in furniture, drawers and cabinets, access to power has never been easier
Full Story
Furniture Design Photography: Hey, Where's the Furniture?
Showing rooms without furniture draws attention to the shapes and materials in a space
Full Story
Most Popular Where to Put the Laundry Room
The Hardworking Home: We weigh the pros and cons of washing your clothes in the basement, kitchen, bathroom and more
Full Story
With client trust and satisfaction at the heart of our approach to the homebuilding process, Hartley Homebuilding... Read More
Fine Line Construction LLC is a small company looking to help you construct your dream home. We will work closely... Read More