SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

My new little laundry alcove (at last) - pics

alisande
14 years ago

When I decided to move the laundry machines out of the dungeon basement and onto the first floor, I knew it wouldn't be a simple matter. Nothing is simple in this 1850 house. But I wasn't prepared for the news that I'd need a new floor (not just flooring, but the whole deal), new walls, and new ceiling. It wasn't a contractor telling me this to make a profit--it was my son, and he was right.

The new plumbing had to be done twice because the first plumber didn't allow room for the washer and dryer.....

I posted here (ad nauseum) about my decision making, especially the walls. We eventually decided on 3/8" beadboard, which I painted white (Valspar's Ivory Dust). I toyed with the idea of painting the horizontal piece (between the wall and ceiling) dark brown to match the stained hemlock that abounds in the house, but I ran out of steam. Still, I'm happy with the result.

Here's my enchanting Before picture. It doesn't show much of the area, but I think it shows enough to let you know what we were up against:

Here's the vinyl wood going down. I've posted this one here before:

This will show you the location, more or less, of the alcove. It sits behind the black (actually very dark green, but it looks black even in person) Dutch pantry:

Here it is today, showing the "wood" floor:

We joined the vinyl wood and the real wood with a wood-look (sort of) strip:

Here's a closer look at the beadboard. It had a HEAVY wood grain (see photo above), which the top-of-the-line Kilz primer obliterated completely. I was surprised (and delighted).

And finally, for those who would like a closer look at the photograph, it shows my cousin Barbara and me in 1944. My dad took the picture. For some reason our "outfits" (if I may call them that!) reminded me of laundry. Barbara, always more fashion-conscious than I, is on the right. So cute! Today she's an artist, and her paintings include scenes of my garden and oils done from my dad's photos of the two of us.

Thanks for looking!

Susan

Comments (25)