SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Opinions needed - special baby quilt

2ajsmama
13 years ago

My cousin (who lives next door) just had a baby and named her after the DD I lost 8 yrs ago. After a good cry, I've decided to make a special blanket for this special little girl. I looked in my fabric stash, and I have almost 2 yards of a a baby "quilt" look cotton, and not quite as much (after squaring maybe 46x49, less if it shrinks) of a perfectly matched pink (polyester?) lightweight fleece. Is that large enough for a baby blanket, or should I look for 2 yards of pink (cotton, so same washing instructions) flannel?

I also have 6 yds of cotton quilt binding but I'm wondering of the gingham is too busy. I have 4 3/4 yds of polyester satin blanket binding (wider) that I had bought for DD's quilt that I never finished but don't think it'll be enough. I just wanted to know what everyone thought of fabric content and size, as well as fabric color/pattern.

I don't know if I'm going to buy thin batting and actually quilt this (I've never machine-quilted, but it should go faster than hand-quilting, if I hand-quilt this it'll take me months to finish LOL!), or if I should just bind it (it needs a backing b/c the cotton's so thin).

Comments (10)