SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gurley157fs

Coffee Shop

gurley157fs
17 years ago

I'm going to take a leap here and attempt to start a new thread. The point is to post whatever suits you. Daily ramblings, good coffee finds - just stuff. As mercer said in another post I enjoy reading all of your posts because they don't entail 'how to get my 7 year old to poop' - that just slays me LOL.

I am going to post todays ramblings that I usually keep in a journal. Thay are usually wacky and have no particular train of thought.

"Today is a good day to make me appreciate my job.

I have stripped the beds, washed the sheets and blankets and vacuumed the mattresses. Cooked a couple pumpkins to make a spice cake with, gone to the grocery store, treated a load of white clothes and put them in to soak and after I take a break I will clean up the kitchen so that I can make another mess.

If I did this every day I would be bored out of my mind.

I think this afternoon I will mow while I drink Captain Morgans IÂve learned that if you use a to-go coffee cup you can keep a drink going on the riding mower without getting dust and grass in it.

Remember those Âwhat I have a learned about life e-mails?

HereÂs mine so far:

IÂve learned that:

Bare Minerals is just a bunch of expensive crap

Gardens, just like models, only look like that in magazines; in real life they are just as ugly as the rest of us

Brand names are for insecure people

Playing cubis is not good for my computer but I do it anyway

We all take part in something that is unjust or unfair so none of us can afford to be righteous

Organic Sumatra Aceh Gayo coffee does not have a smoky hint of cherry and chocolate - It tastes like dirt

Preparation H does not reduce under-eye puffiness  it really was meant for your other end

If you try really hard you can see something positive in every one  or, if not the person, then the situation"

O.K. I have rambled enough for now  back to the land of domesticity. I think I am far less strange after a few Morgans  this has gotten out of control.

I hope someone will join me in an occasional rambling

Karen? Gene?

Comments (98)

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gene - Do you subscribe to Our State Magazine? (North Carolina) Or do you ever buy it from a local news stand? (Single news stand copies are rather pricey) I never see it on the stands around here so sometimes order a copy on line when it has something I want to read. Today I have just ordered the November issue since there is an article about the area where I was born and grew up. Soon as December issue is out I will order that one also.
    If you happen to see the December issue browse through it for a piece called "A Perfect Weekend in Waynesville" It features some of the downtown shops and The Inn at Iris Meadows. One of the downtown shops (can't remember which one) carries a lot of Becky's nature photography as well as her stained glass. Exciting! Now, I'm gonna make a pot of Starbucks Dk French Roast and lift a toast to North Carolina:
    Here's to the land of the long leaf pine
    The summer land where the sun doth shine
    Where the weak grow strong
    And the strong grow great
    Here's to back home
    The Old North State

Gerry

• mjmercer
    17 years ago

"Now, bikers are very likely to be business executives, construction workers, postmen, good ole boys."

Man, that ain't no joke. I knew someone who used to be the CEO of the Chicago Stock Exchange. (Ironically he's a North Carolina native!) This guy has about five Harleys and a BMW bike or two. He goes to Bike Week every year. Now he's got himself a slightly younger wife. She goes with him to Bike Week. They claim to have an amazingly good time every year! Wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were back at this year's Bike Week. Anybody run into a fun, outgoing couple named Clair & AD? :o)

Gene, congrats on your adventurous coffee spirit! IMHO Intelligentsia is just about the best there is. Yes, Black Cat is powerful stuff. I'm not surprised you're finding other stuff "weak" compared to it. Ethiopia Harrar isn't as strong. To my palate it seems more multi-leveled in its tastes. I like that. Right now I'm drinking some organic breakfast blend beans from Target. Good stuff. Unfortunately I discovered too late that my half-and-half has gone bad. So I'm sitting here typing, staring at a nearly full cup of undrinkable coffee. It's criminal! :o(

Anyway I'm off to work now. Working an open house on a gorgeous vintage condo in Lincoln Park. Wanna buy it? :o)

Karen

• Related Discussions

Coffee Shop III

Q

Comments (27)
    Happy Holidays marylmi. Thanks for your response. I hope this one is pleasant. As for me I've gotten so old I can't make a decent assessment of how I should feel. I am in the process of sampling a different size container of my staple coffee and am looking forward to a couple of new coffees I got for Christmas. I've drank 11 oz. Maxwell House French Roast Dark for years. A few weeks back I got a couple of 25.6oz containers just because I wanted to see if it might be the same. I don't think so and will eventually return to 11oz. For Christmas I got a pound of Summit Coffee and a pound of Community Coffee. Summit has an interesting name. A young fellow named Alex Lowe was an avid outdoorsman. He was killed in an avalanche on Everest in 1999. His bio is on Wiki. As the story goes Lowe was a friend of a coffee house owner. When Lowe died the owner named his company Summit as a tribute. The Community Coffee sounds like a general use name but I always like trying different ones. I like to keep coffees wrapped and fresh as I can. With still having the large container of my staple it will be a while before getting around to the Summit and Community. Happy New Years. I always wish everyone well. Regards.
    ...See More

Coffee Shop II

Q

Comments (71)
    Candler, another suggestion would be to plant in half whiskey barrels. My father used to do that and he enjoyed quite a harvest of vegetables, plus it was raised so he didn't have to bend over. I'm thinking about doing that myself. It's getting harder and harder to get down on the ground. I have a bench that when inverted acts as a kneeler with handles so I can get up and down a bit easier. I like it, but I tend to "lose" myself in gardening and before I know it, it's across the yard and I've scooted myself several feet or yards away. LOL! Gurley - I don't know all your names yet, so forgive me - I can so relate to your experience with the ex. Mine was a lawyer who thought he was God's gift. But, I was so afraid of giving up the relationship and being on my own. Now that I am, I cherish it, and would not be willing to compromise my life with anyone else, I don't think. The thought is rather scary. I am rather a isolationist, preferring my own company, and that of my daughter and granddaughter over other people. Most people do not maintain the same likes and dislikes that I do, and while I'm willing to give a bit in friendship, most of my friends I had at work, were so unlike me that I had a difficult time finding a common ground. A lot of women my age are still searching for the proverbial "rainbow relationship" with a man, and when they find someone to date, they brush off their friends like dandruff only to come crying back a short time later with their pitiful stories of "woe is me". I want to shake them and say, "what did you think? That they were going to fulfill all your fantasies of what a relationship is about?" Rarely do they get to know anyone in depth before they are into a physical relationship, not knowing anything significant about the other person. I guess what I'm trying to say is find a companion first, someone you enjoy talking with, being with, listening to, and that you have similar beliefs, values, etc. - BEFORE you get into that physical relationship. It's a whole lot less heartache, and you may get a valuable friendship if not a significant other, at the very least. Investing emotionally through physicality is going to bite you in the rear every time. But, so far, I haven't found any women or men who are interested in my theories of what a relationship is all about. So, I tend to stay in my comfort zone, which is my home and my yard. Relationships are a lot like a garden. You have to prepare it first by "building" the soil; then you plant a few things to see how they do, tend them, fertilize them, prune them, watch them grow, and then you might get a bit more adventuresome with some plants and see how they do, and before long you have something long-lasting - and you haven't had to get into hybridizing or cross-pollinization yet! LOL! Sorry to get so long-winded. Peace and serenity is what I most seek now in life. Not the roller coaster rides I used to be able to tolerate in my younger days. Candler, I had something similar, called an arteriovenous malformation in my brain, but they caught it before it bled and were able to repair it through a procedure called an endovascular embolization (using a catheter through the femoral artery). I was lucky. But, I still have a dent in my head from when I fell off a swingset at age 5, and had to have stitches in my head. Maybe we should all go for the Brittany look. Tee hee! Sure am enjoying my latte this morning! Susan
    ...See More

Coffee Shop V - not just for coffee drinkers!

Q

Comments (150)
    Oh my Jo and Michael, I didn't know both of you were sick as well? I really hope you two will be 100% soon. Knock on wood, so far so good for me considering two of my GKs and SIL had been sick. I have been very fortunate my entire life that I normally don't catch colds and have had the flu only once. Of course, I have other aches and pains. Michael, you don't have Monday off? Here, most places closed for ML King. We are having a bbq at my DD's. Jo, I've been meaning to ask, when you move to FL, is your step son going with you? Saturday, and hopefully I will stay home and do some stuff around here. I get restless and then take off to the stores or nurseries (plants). Most likely it is out of boredom not restlessnes, lol! I haven't checked my email yet because I don't want to start my day with bad news. My aunt (mom's sister) is in hospice care and mom was going to see her yesterday. My aunt is in her late 80s (bless her), and got cancer about a year ago. My cousins took her to the doctor a week ago with jaundice, and they found out the cancer had spread to her pancreas. I already told mom I would not be coming to AZ when my aunt passes. She knows I can't deal with death/funerals as the pain becomes mine. Hope everyone else is safe from the bug. Eloise
    ...See More

Grey water pump for coffee shop

Q

Comments (1)
    You will need to jackhammer the slab and move the drains.
    ...See More
  • candler
    17 years ago

Good Morning (Sunday), Folks. Yes, it has frosted in places (like my back yard) in the Western North Carolina area for the past couple of nights. And, the leaves are falling like they are lead. This morning is very sunny with a Carolina Blue sky.

Devil's Courthouse? It is a tall and large rock outcrop with some sheer cliffs just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. A popular legend for the name comes from the area being part of the greater Cherokee Nation. As the story goes it became a meeting place for main councils of various tribes. The councils would often "hold court" for those wrongdoers (thus, the Courthouse). If the wrongdoer was determined guilty, and if the offense warranted harsh punishment, he/she would be tossed off the cliff (thus, the Devil's Courthouse). They didn't mess around, huh! I feel certain it is the place you visited in 1966 and I can see why your son would say that.

Mimi, I thank you for posting "I'd Pick More Daisies". I think it has advice for all of us regardless of age. I like to read it and afterwards shut my eyes to imagine I was 18. It does't work very well but I give it a shot. I wonder about the claimed author, Nadine Stair. One Net site casts strong doubts she wrote it. I have had a folder entitled "Advice" for years. I started it about twenty years before I retired so let's say I've had it since 1970. Even back then a few people I to whom I furnished copies said they had read it many, many years before. My copy says the author is unknown. From the Net article Nadine Stair was 85 when she supposedly wrote it. But, I've never seen when she claimed to have written it. It makes one wonder, doesn't it?

Gerry, my sister subsribed to Our State Magazine and passed it along to me. She no longer subscribes. This may or may not be humorous. Years ago I ran across a package that contained memorbelia (sp?) from the 1939 World's Fair in New York. In there was an issue of Our State Magazine. I offered it to the publisher in exchange for a year's subscription. The publisher never replied. I still have the 1939 magazine and some other 1039 publications. If I get to that folder I'll probably send the publisher a letter offering it without anything in return.

I'm glad you, too, are still doing the coffee thing, Karen. Half and Half - Boo! . I've been following your lead on a lot of coffees but I'll pass on that. Even with my late afternoon coffee and pastry I usually try to drink about a half of a cup first (always black) just to establish the taste. A month or so from now, when I finish what I have, I want to return to Caribou to see if the taste is as good as when I first tried it last Winter. I think that we coffee tasters have come to the conclusion that humans don't have the longevity to try everything that's on the market.

I enjoy reading what everyone says. The biker information brings back a thought or two. I had an Indian and rode it primarily at night. I had no tag and even without inspection restrictions any sensible law enforcement person would have made me take it to the nearest scrap metal yard. I enjoyed it only at times. I spent a lot of time nursing injuries that came from it. Soon after I got my draft notice in 1953 I had another wreck. There was a tall and wide hedge row nearby. I pushed/pulled it into the brush and left partially bleeding and limping. I never looked back. Yes, I did enjoy a beer or two back then.

I wish everyone well and I hope everyone continue to post notes. Regards, Gene

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

I learned on Friday morning that my travel companion had a family emergency and could not make the trip to VA, N.C. I seriously considered going alone, but only for a minute! I just don't do well traveling alone unless it's not over a 2 hour drive. I'm disappointed that we didn't get to go, but on a positive note, it saved me a lot of money not having to board the dogs, buy gas, etc. Am still hoping to make the trip though before the snow flies.

So I have just moped around all weekend - did some reading (in keeping with Halloween I'm reading "Haunted America") - worked on an autumn wreath for the front door - baked a butternut squash - ate too much - vacuumed up all the dog hair - stayed up until all hours..........so much for the exciting single life!!!

Mimi- I enjoyed reading "I'd Pick More Daisies" again. Another of my favorites is the one about wearing purple:
    WARNING - When I am an old woman I shall wear purple, with a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me. And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves and satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter. I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells and run my stick along the public railings, and make up for the sobriety of my youth. I shall go out in my slippers in the rain and pick the flowers in other people's gardens, and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat, and eat three pounds of sausages at a go, or only bread and pickle for a week, and hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we musgt have clothes that keep us dry, and pay our rent and not swear in the street, and set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now, so people who know me are not too shocked and surprised when suddenly I am old and start to wear purple. (written by Jenny Joseph)

I'm not too set on learning to spit though. Some things one cannot do with dentures, at least I can't. I sneezed the other day and my top denture flew out and hit my little dog, Murphy. It scared the pee out of him - quite literally! He actually peed the floor when he saw my teeth lying there!!Then I laughed so hard I almost did the same thing!
    Poor pup - tonight he got his head stuck in a yogurt cup.

Ain't life grand?!!

Goodnight, All
    Gerry

• candler
    17 years ago

Good Saturday (21st) Morning, Folks - When I woke yesterday my lawn had maple leaves from one end to the other. I must have dozed pretty well. Oh, well, just another job for Mr. Deere.

I have a sugar maple that's beginning to turn on the top. For color it is the best I have. The family use to travel to Northern Virginia through the Shanandoah Valley. I commented about the beauty of the sugar maples throughout those mountains. A few weeks later, after we got back home, I saw something that looked like a broom stick with a sack at the bottom leaned against the garage door. My wife had bought one of the trees. At the time I planted it I wanted to be sure I was far enough away from the house. After, I suppose, 30 years, I'm afraid some trimming will be in store in the not too distant future. The tree is outside two of the bedrooms. When the sun is shining on it after the leaves turn yellow the reflection looks like a spotlight is being shined on the windows.

Gerry, I'm sorry you didn't make your trip. I'd planned to try to make connection at the B&B. Maybe they'll be another time. We played Maggie Valley CC two days ago. I was having trouble with my contacts. The ground was wet. The ground was fertilized. My golf ball rolled on the ground. I picked up the ball. I rubbed my eyes. The fertilizer got in my eyes, and so on. I'd brought regular glasses anticipating a problem. I scraped my eyes removing the contacts. I had tried to clean my hands with water from a bottle but it must not have worked. This was around the 7th hole. I kept playing but had blurred vision in one eye. Maybe I learned something. I hope so.

More often than not I don't go back to reread some posts or I wouldn't be asking this. Gerry, do you live in Virginia? And, Gurley, do you live in South Carolina? Virginia is so historical. I've seen more historic places there than anywhere else. I like coastal area of South Carolina. Once out of the Myrtle Beach area and heading South one can begin to enjoy it more. I use to like to check out the small towns.

I'm back in the fold with the surveyor, I hope. I'll know Monday. I can't say that for the local government bureaucrats. I try to be decent if they are decent. They seem to enjoy their authority and that's all it takes.

My grandson just turned 25. I'm going to propose a thought to him. He or I will write the first chapter of a book. Then we'll alternate chapters and see what we can come up with. I casually mentioned it the other day but we didn't discuss the content. I have a couple of thoughts. We'll see. Back in the early 90's I was on Prodigy and was connected with an Internet group comprising of around 100 people. I proposed something similar to them and it went no where. I thought it would be interesting to take a fairly large group of people and write a book. After the first chapter is written it would be sent to the second. They would do a chapter and send it to the third, and so on.

I like the panhandle area of Florida. There's an area called Tavaare (sp?) Beach, I think. It was isolated and picturesque. I'm with RCI and may try to go there next month. Last year I kept extending and finally went to Tybee in February, I think.

I wish everyone well. In my "Advice" folder I found an old copy of the bricklayer's lament and get a good laugh every time I read it. With Buffalo getting the early snow storm I've been looking for the story about the fellow moving from Florida to there but must not have kept it. It, too, was very funny. I hope today is a very happy for all. Gene

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Greetings, all,

Gene, I live in South Carolina. Click on (My Page) by my user name for more info. It's not quiet current in that I now have only 3 dogs. My 13 year old Heinz 57 passed away in July.
    I was born and grew up in southeastern North Carolina. I do have a daughter living in Blacksburg, VA

That Maggie Valley CC course is tough!! I always golfed on fairly flat or slightly rolling courses. Played MV only once many, many years ago - end results looked more like a bowling score than a golf score!!!!

I've participated in those "write the next sentence" games, but a whole book? - (chapter really) - I'm really not much of a writer. Have no imagination when it comes to plots - just can't think of enough stuff for "filler". I write some poetry now and then when I'm moved to. I suppose I could take my lifetime collection of journals and do something with it - a fiction based on fact, perhaps.

The leaves are falling fast and furious here today also. It's a bit windy and cooler than usual. It will still be awhile before the gound is well covered though. Yesterday was 86 degrees and I had to run a/c - today will maybe reach low 70's. I turned on the heat for a few minutes early this morning to take the chill out of the house.

My Keeshond was spayed this week. She will be 7 in Dec and is past her prime for showing, and when showing, dogs have to be "intact". I only did local shows. Her breed is rare in this part of the country. Actually, the weather is much too warm here for them unless they are inside dogs or have airconditioned kennels. I get annoyed at some of our locals who insist on calling her a Keesh Hound.
    Correct pronunciation is "case-hond" - also correct is the slurring of "case" so it comes out "caze". It is the national dog breed for Holland - long ago called simply barge dogs. I bred and raised Keeshonden for several years. My little Ess was from the last litter I bred, then I signed my breeders over to my brother, but he is no longer raising them either.

Yes, I was very disappointed about not being able to make my planned trip. I guess I worry too much about traveling alone.

I would like to go take a walk in the woods, but with it being deer season, I'm afraid some over eager hunter might mistake my white hair for a deer's backside. A couple of years ago my brother and I were walking in the woods at his place up near Sanford, NC, when we heard a shot and a bullet whizzed by so close we could hear the little whistling noise it made. I dropped to the ground and he jumped behind a tree. Turned out to be some neighboring teenager claiming to be doing some target practicing from his yard. He couldn't have seen us, so we knew we were not his target. We did report it.

Have a nice fall weekend.
    Gerry

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good Morning all,
    A rainy Sunday morning in a cozy warm house has me feeling, well, downright lazy. I am tempted to light a fire in the fireplace and just sleep the day away. I had an eleven day work week so I am really enjoying this weekend. Have my Nora Jones CD and some classical playing and some aroma pots going life is good! It is all the more appreciated after the last few hectic days at work.

Yesterday I finally got my old van back from having her painted. She looks like a brand new girl! Need to take her to the mechanic tomorrow and then she is back on the road again.

I am on a mum planting kick so I have pots of mums sitting around all over waiting to be planted. Never could get mums to do anything since Ive moved south until I moved into this house. They seem to like it here. Bought a stag horn fern yesterday peculiar looking animal I have never been able to get houseplants to do anything but Im going to give this one a try. I have a sunroom that I dont heat, it never gets too cold and it may be just humid enough to work out. The garden center had one hanging from a chain that was the size of a medicine ball looked like something prehistoric.

Got bored with coffee this morning so I made a concoction of fat-free half and half, chocolate, caramel and coffee. Great stuff!

Gene, yes I am in South Carolina. Went to Oak Island as you suggested and it is a very nice peaceful beach. Does it stay that way in the summer as well? I went to Tybee earlier this year and loved it! Not as commercial as many of the other beaches.

I am getting closer to getting a kayak. Just have so many other projects going but it is something that I really want to do. I fantasize about paddling through a quiet swamp with my music playing softly and the herons and Spanish moss all around me.
    I have always said that when I die I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread in the swamp it is one of my very favorite places to be.
    I tried bringing Spanish moss home to put in my trees but after 3 years I am giving up. The birds keep stealing for their nests. I may give in and get some more for the winter though I love to see it hanging in the trees when they are bare.

Well, I think I will go sit and just nap for about an hour. Our stores dont open til after noon on Sundays and I have a little shopping I want to do today.

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Good lazy Sunday afternoon,
    Gurley, we seem to be on a parallel train of thought today. I guess it's the cool, rainy weather. I'm drinking hot chocolate and wishing I had a fireplace in which to build a fire. Instead, I have the central heat on just high enough to keep warm, a few candles burning, and am listening to baroque style music. Spent most of yesterday getting the house looking more like fall - did a centerpiece for the dining table, hung the fall wreath on the door, broke a large bunch of goldenrod from the roadside. I have a couple of limbs of real cotton bolls I got from a farm last year just before they harvested which I stuck in a canning jar, a basket of winter squash on the Hoosier cabinet, some pumpkins on the steps. Changed the cushion covers on the sofa and chair to something more fall/winter. I have a shaker style loveseat and chair with the loose cushions so I have made several sets of covers for them and change with the seasons. A pot or two of mums would be nice, too.
    (Can you tell I have a country cottage?)

Sometimes I feel that it would be nice to have someone to share my simple life style - I don't have the outlets with work as you do, plus I'm a good many years older than you. (will be 68 on 11/17)
    Mind you, I said SOMETIMES. Mostly, I think I have adjusted quite well to being alone these past three years. I talk to the dogs, sometimes even read poetry to them. They listen attentively, but I think it's the rhythm they like!!

I love the Hazelnut scented candles this time of year, and they are also a good color for the Thanksgiving season - sorta the color of Dijon or brown/spicy mustard.

If your dog is long haired, scatter tthe loose hair in some corner of your back yard when you brush him and perhaps the birds will use that instead of stealing your Spanish moss. I have noticed that the moss seems to grow better in oak and crepe myrtle trees. Tupelo trees are good hosts, too, but most people don't have them in their yards. Around here the swamps are full of them.

My Weather Bug Severe Weather Alert just flashed on monitor - it's an Amber Alert - two young children abducted in Columbia yesterday.

Gene, I'm glad to hear you and the surveyor are back on the same page.

I just made a fresh pot of coffee, which should last for most of the afternoon. I've decided two cups of hot chocolate is my limit.

I agree - it's nap time. Rain is falling heavily right now.

• candler
    17 years ago

Good Sunday (29th) Morning, Everyone. I don't have a pet and, for the time being, don't want one. I've had dogs and cats in the past but there were two of us to care of them. I like animals and the outdoors. On occasion I see deer, turkeys, coons, skunks, fox, and, of course, possum. I enjoy seeing them all. I'm no longer a hunter. I have a son in law that begins in September and finishes in January. I'd like to go with him to take photos but don't think I'd care to see him shoot animals.

I've had times over the past couple of months that I've felt very alone. It's odd but the moments may come at any time whether it be day or night. Having a pet wouldn't cut it. It would be nice just to know someone was there to whom I could comment, should I care to do so, and get a comment back, should she care to do so. Have you ever felt that way. I have a small gram nerve pill that helps. I've sometimes wondered if these moments may work themself into longer periods and if I might be prone for full scale depression. Who knows!

I talked to my grandson about each writing alternating chapters. I told him of a story I'd congered up in my brain many years ago. It's along the Stephen King line. I didn't get much of a response. He reads a lot and I thought a reader would just have to have a desire to write. Maybe I'm wrong. I may mention it one more time and if nothing positive comes that'll be it.

Gerry, I thought about writing and needing "fillers". I had to smile when I had an immediate thought. Use large fonts and double space. How's that for a quick solution . I have single book, Gray's Elegy Written In A Country Church Yard. It is laid out in a format that I'll use if I ever finish and publish my poem.

Most leaves have dropped from the softwoods. Yes, Mr. Deere did clear the yard. I go forward; back up; go forward; back up; keeping the leaves going in one direction. Most wound up under the maples where I put a rock perimeter several years ago. I imagine they'll rot and supply some type of nutrient to the soil.

I'll be taking the tag and insurance off the Miata at the end of November. It almost seems a waste of money to have it on the road from May through November. I've probably not driven it more than a couple of dozen times. As I said before, driving it alone is not much fun.

Gerry, Gurley, and Others, it seems you're acclimating yourself and your environment for the winter. I've done nothing. I began moving things around in the garage in thoughts of once again having a functional work area. I've been going at it a week a few hours a day. I've got a bunch of tools and stuff to either sell or take to Goodwill.

I'm expecting a call pretty soon. When one comes in it may kick me off the Net and this site. So, I may write more in a day or to - or not! Happy Halloween to all. I enjoy reading your posts. Regards, Gene

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Good Sunday afternoon.
    It is an absolutely lovely fall day here - sunny, 67 degrees, slight breeze. Only one problem - the leaves that are falling are just all brown. We just don't get much of the color here.

Yesterday, I drove over to a little town (Moncks Corner)to visit a friend. I passed a field that had a lot of those huge round bales of hay and remembered how my daughter, at age 5, had seen some across a field many years ago and had called them buffalo. Since then we have always called them that as a joke. The very next field (pasture) I came to had a herd of REAL buffalo. I might have missed them except that the truck ahead of me almost came to a stop so the people in it could look. I just couldn't believe it. It's rather hard to imagine that 200 years ago those rugged creatures roamed our western prairies by the thousands. On my way home I pulled over to the shoulder of the road and watched them a few minutes. Just made my day!

Gene, I know how you feel about thinking your grandson would be interested in writing. I have a son I wish would do some writing for others to enjoy. He has such a wonderful grasp of the English language. In high school he won an essay contest for this area, went on to state finals, got to meet the govenor. He was also on the National Forensics Debating Team. He has a definite gift of gab, yet actually talks very little unless he feels the need to expound upon a particular subject.

I suppose most of us get that alone feeling at times. As you mentioned, there are times when one needs so very badly to share a moment in time with another person - a sunset, the first rose of summer, a sudden change in the weather, how good the coffee is this morning, etc. It's a different feeling than being lonely though, don't you think? I don't know as I ever feel lonely, but yes, I do feel alone some times.

Veggie soup simmering on the stove, and should be about ready to eat. I plan to take a container of it to my neighbor who had surgery earlier in the week. I really should bake some cornbread, too. Ummm, Southern Comfort food.

• candler
    17 years ago

Howdy, Folks. I have six ewe bushes beneath a window. They're now 6' tall and I wish to prune them almost to the ground. We're having 60 degree days and 35 degree nights in the Western North Carolina mountains. Would this be a proper time time for pruning? Any suggestions or thoughts? I don't have a green thumb. Yes, I posted this question under shrubs in the gardening section. There was limited discussion about pruning and some of you seem to be more willing to share knowledge. Thanks, Gene

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Good morning, Gene
    I really don't know much about yews since they don't tend to grow well here in the heat. From things I have read about them, they are very slow growing. I am assuming you have the hedge type yews rather than the ones that grow into tall trees.

Cutting them almost to the ground seems a little drastic since it would take a long time for them to look good again. It would not hurt them to prune out any weak or dead branches, and clip off straggling limbs, clip to shape it up a bit. These things can be done at any time.

Don't know how high your windows are from the ground, but if the shrubs are beginning to grow up higher than your windows you can keep them trimmed so they don't get that tall. It wouldn't hurt to do that much pruning now.

Wish I could be of more help. Hopefully, someone in your gardening zone will be able to give you more information.

Gerry

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Gene,

After doing the above post, I began giving some thought to your pruning problem. So I Googled "Pruning Yews" and found one site that says that pruning junipers, aborvitoaes, yews can be done anytime from mid-April to mid-August. Pruning later would likely leave unhealed wounds that could result in winter damage. This came from the ag dept at NDSU, which I guess is No. Dak. and it gets a lot colder there than in the NC mountains. Still, you might want to wait for a reply from someone in your area with more knowledge about yews before you get out those hedge clippers.

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

BOO

Gurley, I think in a post above you mentioned you had just acquired a staghorn fern. If you haven't seen it yet, over on the Tropicals forum someone has posted pics of a very large one. Interesting.

• candler
    17 years ago

Good Morning, Folks - I appreciate the helpful information about the yews. I'm in my home office looking out the window. A third of the view is blocked by them.

Where did the addage go that stuff was to be trimmed when the sap was down during the winter? I guess yews, and maybe some other evergreens don't fall into that category, huh.

While I'm guessing I may as well confess I actually thought they were called "ewe's" (not to be confused with a female sheep, as I was told). I recall helping my wife plant them but never gave them much thought afterwards. I'll try to remember the proper name.

To keep them from blocking the window I might do some light trimming as has been suggested. In the Spring I'll do a little more but after reading what's been said it'll not be as dramatic. It has taken them a long time to get as big as they are.

Gerry and Gurley, I've been seeing a house for sale on Lady's Island that's a little north of Savannah and maybe not very far from Paris Island. The land is so flat the inspector's report said water will run neither toward or away from the house (1700 square foot double wide mobile home). From the map it seems there would be decent inland waterway boating and good fishing.

I hope all are doing well. Regards, Gene

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey everyone!

I have been in a funk lately and didnt feel like posting but I have enjoyed everyone elses posts. It is one of the things I look forward to when I come home at night.

I finally got my interview for a job I had applied for. Looks like I am a shoe-in. It is a bit complicated but the jist of it is that the pay is the same but in todays world of budget cuts and downsizing the move would help to guarantee me a retirement check and at least part-time work after retirement should I so desire.

I turned one half of my sunroom into a work out area I am really enjoying that. We are allowed one hour 3 times a week to work out but generally I am too busy and/or I just really prefer to work out by myself away from prying eyes.

Chili is on the stove tonight. I read that the small red bean is one of the best anti-oxidants so I have been trying to think of ways to use them. I made a pot of low-fat chili using ground turkey browned in olive oil but I cheated and used a pre-mix chili seasoning packet. It tastes pretty good so far but I made it just a little too salty so I threw a small potato in to help absorb some of the salt. Chili will be a nice comfort food this weekend as it starts to get a little cooler.

I bought my tickets to the Colonial Cup in Camden today. For those of you who are not familiar with it, it is a steeplechase race that is held here twice a year. A small group of us are going and we will tailgate out of my van. I think it should be a lot of fun.

As an ex-horse trainer I am generally opposed to horse racing just because I had to train so many too-young horses and watch so many get ruined for life before they were even 2 years old. I dont mind steeple chasing though because it generally relies on the strength and stamina of the older horse. At this stage of my life I can really appreciate anything that glorifies older J.

Well I think I will wrap this up before it turns into a novel. Goodnight all!

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Gurley, I'm so envious! I lived in or around Camden from late 1979 until 1985 and never missed a cup race. Always attended both the Carolina Cup and the Colonial Cup. I would so love to go again, meet up with old friends, neighbors. That was definitely THE social event of the season, spring or fall. I met the love of my life there at the Carolina Cup the spring of 1980. Married him in December of that same year. We were married for 23 years (lacking 3 days).. When a Cup race was being held we always had a house full of out of town guests, sometimes even bunked down on the living room floor. Those tail gate parties were great fun. Ah, it all seems so very long ago.

Interesting coincidence - I was married to my first husband for 23 years also. Now if I could just find the third one and stay married another 23 years I would only be 91 years old.

Gene, I received snapshots via e-mail today of fall foliage around Waynesville. Lovely, though I have seen it more vivid in the past.

Today is my daughter's birthday. She and her husband left early this morning for a long weekend retreat in the north Georgia mountains. They're staying in a lodge near Chatsworth.

Guess I better go pull out the old red long handles for sleeping in tonight. Does anyone know why they call them long handles? Actually, mine are 2 piece red fleece P.J.'s.

Best of luck in your new job, Gurley, should you decide to accept it.

Speaking of horses - don't know if I've mentioned it before, but my daughter works in the OR at the vet hospital at Virginia Tech. She was on call last weekend and said she had to assist in two horse colics. Gurley, I'm sure you know what that entails (no pun intended), having trained horses. DD said she got sprayed and doesn't think she can ever get rid of the odor. I think that was part of the reason she felt the need to get completely out of the state for this weekend!

Hope everyone has a good fall weekend - weather should be perfect.

Gerry

• candler
    17 years ago

Good Sunday Morning, All. While leaves were in their Fall color I only took one scenic drive and that was more to relieve stress than enjoyment. Still, on occasion, I travel the Blue Ridge Parkway as a main highway connector which is colorful. And, I can see mountains through some windows and from the yard which, too, is colorful. The leaves still hanging on are primarily varied shades of brown which has an appeal.

Speaking of appeal yesterday I bought a painting. It was $30.00 and from a Salvation Army thrift store. For those nearer the ocean you might understand why it grabbed a mountain person's interest. It is of a semi-hazy day when one is standing at the ocean's edge looking to the sea. The waves are breaking somewhat heavily. The sun is trying to peek through and its light penetrates the thinner area of the wave's top. In the distance three gulls soar. Someone, maybe the artist, painted the frame. Around the part closest to the painting they trimmed it in green to highlight the water and in blue to highlight the hazy sky. I buy things like this and, like now, have no idea where I might put it. But, it will bring some moments of enjoyment for at least a while.

Gerry and Gurley, it seems you folks have and are having a life. I enjoy reading what you have to say. I appreciate your helpful information whether it be about Yews or an insight to life.

I have a Catch-A-Call and think someone tried to call. My youngest daughter (38) often calls on Sunday morning. Sometimes we drive out to a mall. I get her to drive so I can just look. That's just another pitfall of being alone. Driving literally causes one to not see the forest for the trees, huh.

I hope everyone is well and that life is good. Regards, Gene

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Good Sunday evening to All,
    This has been a very productive weekend for me. Yesterday I went into town and got my monthly grocery shopping (including Thanksgiving) done. Then paid all my bills that have come in.

This morning I took a long, long hike thru the woods. Of course, I took the big Collie with me on a leash, of course, so he didn't wander off and leave me. I found some pretty pine cones. Also, underneath a cedar type tree I found cones(?) that look like beautiful little wooden roses. There is a tree at my mother's old house that has those. I don't know if they are called cones, but that's my name for them. I can add some nuts - walnuts, brazil nuts, etc. - and make a wreath for the holidays by gluing them to a grapevine wreath.(I make my own grapevine wreaths each year when I trim the grapevine) May also use some of the little swiveled up pomegranates that never matured and are still hanging on my bush.

This afternoon I gave my SLOW computer a good dose of technical M.O.M. - defragmented, ran a virus scan, cleaned hard drive of a huge plate of "cookies", removed a pocketful of "Cache", removed all those temp. internet files, etc. etc. etc. I was a little behind on performing maintenance, so there was a lot to do. Now it's running like it has had a shot of B-12 or something! And I installed that patch to fix a flaw in Internet Explorer. I don't use it as my default browser, but do use it sometimes.

Gene, I'm sure your painting is lovely. I have a canvas (not framed) of a swamp scene. Can't tell if it's sunrise or sunset, but has some pink/peach/blue tints just above horizon. It has lots of cypress trees and knees, Spanish moss dripping from the trees, and an old wooden fishing boat pulled up on the bank. It even has a dirty rag hanging over the side that looks as if some fisherman was wiping his hands on it. For lack of a proper place to hang it, I have it hanging in my hallway. It's so peaceful and serene - (and Gurley would probably love it since she likes canoeing around in the swamp) Many years ago when I had a den-type room, I had the picture hanging on a wall with some cane poles and other fishing paraphernalia (sp?) I got that idea from my mother - she had a similar wall on her closed in porch. I have a sister who is a decent artist and was studying art in college. At some time when she was home she had stored a large flat box under her bed with some art supplies, etc., in it. My mom found it when she pulled it out to vacuum underneath the bed. There on top was a large sheet of art paper with what Mom thought was a painting (it was actually where my sister had been cleaning brushes) Anyway, Mom salvaged it, framed it, titled it "Canoe in a Canebrake" and hung it. When one looked at it a moment, it actually did look like there was a brown canoe partially hidden in some canes. Mom could see beauty in the most common things, and she instilled that ability in us. It's very touching to see my brother - all 6' 4", and 240 lbs -stoop down and cradle a tiny, scrawny meadow flower in the palm of his hand.

We all have a life. It may not be what we would have chosen had we had more say-so in the matter, but it is what we have been dealt. I feel sometimes that I fail to make the most of mine. I used to get so involved in community things - even ran for town council once back in the dark ages- but I just don't feel the need to do those types of things anymore. I joined a local senior singles group a couple of years ago. Discovered that wasn't for me either. I belonged to a gardening club for awhile, but felt pressured about having to host get-togethers - like GW better! I have a few close friends that I see now and then. I cannot abide these drop-in-for-coffee-everyday type of friends, or the "where were you all day? I called you four times" type. It's really none of their business where I was and some days I choose not to answer the phone. I like the kind of friend you can sit and talk with now and then, go weeks without talking at all, then just pick up where we left off before - like it was only yesterday. I like the kind of friend that I can confide in if I feel the need, and know that what I say will never go further. Those are rare.
    I no longer feel the need for "busy" stuff. I can weed in my yard all day, or I can sit and watch the weeds grow and elect to call them wildflowers.....I did a lot of that this summer.

Does anybody have a copy of "Fall Is For Looking Back"? I don't know who wrote it, but the last few paragraphs read:

What is a beautiful fall? Is it only the one with vivid leaves in brilliant colors? What happens when the rains wash the leaves down from the trees before they ever have a chance to float on autumn's winds?

What is a beautiful life? Is it only the one with a vivid career and a colorful success story? What happens when the rains of adversity wash out years of our lives before we've had a chance to live out our dreams?

The sun is setting now and the leaves are black against the autumn sky. They look the same as they did in the lowering darkness of the green nights of summer. I know they are dying only because today's light told me that by showing me their fury of colors.

I wonder...when my own leaves fall to the earth, will anyone remember how beautiful my colors were?

Enough rambling already!!

Good night and may your dreams be pleasant.

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gerry, you struck a note with me, probably without meaning to.

We have the upcoming holiday 'parties' at work and the only one that I was thinking of going to is two days after my surgery on my nose. I had planned on not going because I really didn't want to go with a big bandage in the middle of my face.

I had finally remembered some of my own advice - "nobody really cares what you are doing or what you look like". So I had decided to go. As I have mentioned before I am very much a loner and this is the only work function that I ever bother going to all year - so I am going to go, bandage or no bandage.

When you wrote 'will anyone remember how beautiful my colors were it made me think of that. Nine times out of ten people don't really notice us at all - we just think they do - so I try to spend my time absorbing as much as I can that gives me some sort of pleasure.

I worry much less now days about 'projecting' any thing at all. I do still wear make-up every day but now it is because it is fun to put on (don't ask me why - I just think it is fun).

I don't have any need to hang out with the group even when they openly call me anti-social; they only want a larger crowd around so that they have more people to impress.

I am over high heels and cleavage - thank goodness I don't feel the need to do that anymore.

My furniture stays put forever - no rearranging to create a 'new look'.

Now that I see this in print I am wondering just what it is that I do that is interesting .... well

Coffee - the taste is very pleasureable - if I were given a last meal request it would just be a good cup of coffee.

Walking - I absolutely love to walk and am always looking for excuses to walk more.

Horses - I am finished with making them a lifestyle but I still love to watch well groomed horse perform. I love to visit the stables of well-kept horses. Something about shiny tack and clean stalls gives me a good feeling.

My home - it is very modest but very comfortable. I just like being in it.

I love to just relax with a good glass of wine and reflect on how good I have it now. It wasn't always this way and I enjoy the fact that, generally speaking, I am at a place in my life where struggle is not required to put food on the table. Who knows? I may have to again one day so I want to enjoy it while it lasts.

Chocolate - I absolutely LOVE chocolate. Coffee beats chocolate but not by much.

I do some charity work but it is more material than anything. I don't want to be personally involved with the children that I give to but never the less finding out what their needs are and providing for them gives me great pleasure.

You know, I keep seeing more and more of myself in this coffee shop. I am learning more about myself by writing and I am beginning to see that I may be somewhat dysfuntional socially. As I have said before I am married but we are basically like two porcupines that know how to co-exist with out pissing the other one off.

But as for everyone else - I am not unhappy with out a zillion people around me - so I will just hope that there is nothing really wrong with that.

Was there an original point to this post? I think I have rambled out of what ever it was.

Oh yes, Gene, Gerry is right. We all have a life. I admit there are days when I just ramble around and don't know what to do with myself.

And there are very many days when I wish that I could be a part of some 'group', belong to something. But I already know, because I have tried it too many times, that it doesn't work for me.

My best times come when I am alone in the woods, or in my garden room with some music playing. As I mentioned above I am going to the Cup but everyone knows that I have the van that they can put food in - but I will be off doing my own thing. There are a very select few people that I know that realize that about me and are O.K. with it. I like to be around them sometimes.

The place that I have come to enjoy most as of late is right here. I can do a bit of socializing with people who are friendly. And when I am feeling out of sorts I can just read up on what you all are doing for a little interest and nobody cares if I don't have any input.

Well this one HAS turned into a novel. Time for a subject change.

Gene I am going to bid on some property tomorrow. Not on the scale that you do but a quarter acre that backs up to my property. It is landlocked and not large enough to put a septic on so I am figuring that no one else will have a use for it. I just want it as an extra buffer around me. I would dearly love to buy a little cottage that is right next door to me but they won't sell.

The property that you mentioned sounds fantastic. I will have to check out Lady's Island. I love the Savannah area. If you decide to buy maybe you could rent it out for a weekend here and there? :-) Taking the sneak boat through the salt marshes is on my list of things-I-have-never-done-but-am-going-to-do.

Well I think it is time for me to wrap this up - have to be at the assessors office bright and early - I just found out this evening that I have to stay there ALL DAY.

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have been watching some other discussion forums on the topic of this book;

"Party of One - The Loners' Manifesto" by Anneli Rufus.
    Has anyone read this? I have seen conflicting reviews on this book and am trying to decide if I want to order it or not.

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Gurley, I haven't read it - in fact hadn't even heard of it until I read your post. Have you visited the author's website? It's interesting what she says about how a "loner" is perceived. (Sounds like a few people who post here) :)

It has rained here almost constantly since late last night. Coffee is just the best ever today - I think this is cup #4 - or is it #5? In any event, I just had to make a 2nd pot. It makes 10 cups, I use a large mug, so only get 5 cups out of it. Somehow, coffee always tastes better on a rainy day.

I think you have an interesting life, Gurley, and I enjoy reading about it. Keep talking about it. And of course, the Coffee Shop just wouldn't be the same place without Gene's input. It's good to have some male perspective.

Gerry

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

I pickup up a copy of Party of One - The Loner's Manifesto
    today. So far I have read the introduction and the first chapter. Already I have recognized several "loners" I have known in my lifetime - and they are NOT scarce as hen's teeth! They aren't (quote) "crazy, cold, stuck-up, standoffish, aloof, afraid, lacking in social skills, bizarre, unable to connect, incapable of love, freaks, geeks, sad, lonely, selfish, ungrateful, unfriendly, serial killers". Instead, they are people who tend to be self-confident, at peace within themselves.

If you get a chance to read it, I am sure you will like it.
    It promises to be an interesting read.

I'm starving. Have left-over pot roast in the refrigerator so I will slice off a piece of roast (prefer it cold), then nuke a dish of the veggies. May also get into that container of Breyer's real vanilla bean ice cream. Maybe then this dreadful headache will go away.

Gerry

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My BF, who lives in Alabama, is sending me the book. I am excited and that was very sweet of her. We have been friends since we met in 84 while in W. Germany. Somehow over the years, kids, divorces, and career changes we have never lost touch or grown apart.

I was sitting here trying to find yoga classes in my area - nothing! I may try to find a video. Actually I was looking for a fitness class to go to. I thought it might be a good idea for me to schedule some sort of routine activity away from home other than work. Why? I don't have a clue - just seems like a good idea.

I'm still in kind of a funk - a bit on the cranky side. I think it has a lot to do with winter. I really enjoy time outside and in the winter it is always dark when I am home. Well tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 80 degrees, that should be a nice pick-me-up!

• candler
    17 years ago

Hello, everyone. Without going back I'll just say I took someone's lead and downloaded WE 7.0. I have Juno for my ISP. How was I to know they are not readily compatible with it. I can no longer use their e-mail system to send or receive. A while back I took AOL up on their free e-mail and was able to voice my thoughts to Juno. Maybe it'll get resolved. I've been with them years and years.

We played the local public golf course yesterday. Around the 15th hole I must have done something to awaken a chronic back problem from an operation a long time ago. I've sat at my desk most of the day.

There's still leaves on some trees. From the past I recall reading a poem that contained wording of Winter's last leaf to fall. Maybe I'll do a Google search one day. I tried to find Fall Is For Looking Back, Gerry. Google was completely loaded with references but none seem to refer to a poem or a ? (what do they call it when someone writes something like I'd Pick More Daisies). Senior moment here!

I've not had the Miata out in a month. At the end of November I'll take the tag and insurance off, put it in its cover, and wait until next May. With the way my back is hurting today I couldn't even get in it.

The Lady's Island property was being sold by HUD. It was too far away for me to be interested. I have no idea what prices exist throughout that area and it was just a little high for me to think a dollar could be made. Plus I don't deal in property that's out of my league.

It's been a pleasant day (75) but I've stayed inside. I'll bet in the lower S.C. area it hit mid 80's, at least. I hope everyone is enjoying it.

I need to move around, folks. I know it will hurt but no pain no gain, I guess. I hope everyone is well and looking forward to the Thanksgiving holidays. Regards, Gene

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Good evening, All

Gene, I'm so sorry to hear about your back. Please take the same advise you gave me abut resting. If no relief, see your doctor. I'm taking a Rx strength Aleve for arthritis pain which helps immensely. I feel so fortunate in not having to take any other medications - no high BP, heart problems, etc. Just do some vitamin supplements daily.

High temp here today was 76 - did not get quite as warm as had been forecast. Didn't catch tonight's local news, so I have no idea what is was right along the coast. I am approx. 50 miles inland.

Tonight's dinner was soooo good. Broiled flounder fillet with a lemon-dill sauce, tossed salad, a couple of garlic bread sticks, and a glass of wine. I try to treat myself good now and then and fore go the leftovers.

Gurley, I've just started the "Malboro Country" chapter in the book.

Gene, the "Fall Offers a Good Time for Looking Back" is a bit long for a post so I will start a new thread and copy it for you. That way you won't have to scroll all through the Coffee Shop. Then if you like you can copy and paste or print it out.

Gerry

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good Evening everyone,

I am excited to announce that I finally got the new job I was hoping for. No pay raise - it is a lateral move - but it is a job I enjoy very much and gets me out of the office frequently. Also gets me away from the office clique - Hooray!

I have already been working in the job for a while unofficially so am well aquainted with what all it entails. My first day was a whirlwind of activity which is exactly what I love. I go to work for only one reason - to work - so I get frustrated when I'm just tapping my fingers or watching someone goof off.

Finally got out this weekend and really finished the winter prep for yard and garden. After all was cleaned up I planted some Swiss Chard that I found on sale at Lowes. I have never planted it before and am fascinated by the brilliant colors. The previously unhappy plant is looking very well so far so we will see how it goes. I am hoping for some good salad greens out of it but if not my pet bunnies will enjoy a treat at least.

Lowes had tons of plants and bulbs on sale so I got YET ANOTHER large bag of daffodils. I don't know why I do that - well yes I do. I have a poem saved somewhere and if I find it I will share. It is about a woman who changed her world one bulb at a time.

I broke down a bought a large can of regular Folgers coffee. I was missing a good old-fashioned common cup of coffee so Folgers it is, at least for a while.

The other night I was reading a Southern Living magazine and came across a recipe for a caramel/chocolate cookie thingy and decided to make it. Really dumb move. I know that when I do that stuff that I can't resist eating it - all of it. I took two plates to work but still ended up eating the ENTIRE plate of cookies that I had at home. Seriously ill. I am hypoglycemic (spell?) and that is just not a smart thing to do and totally wasted my diet progress as well. Well it is another day and I can start it with a brand new set of good intentions. You know what they say 'Never Look Back'. Kind of hard not to do when I'm tossing my cookies. :-) Sorry - couldn't resist the 'sick' joke.

I noticed in another thread about Christmas decorations - to put them up or not. I don't anymore. I have a closet full of them so that I am not tempted to buy any. Maybe one Christmas I will have some reason to want to decorate but not now.

First of all I go out of town to somewhere different every Christmas. This year the plan is St Augustine, Fl. If I stay in town I feel 'obligated' to go buy stuff and/or entertain people at my home. Or other people find out that I am at home doing nothing and they feel 'obligated' to ask me to join them, or stop by with little trinkets and food to cheer me up. One day I think I am going to tell everyone that I am out of town and then just secretly stay home.

I love to get up on Christmas morning and just enjoy the peace and quiet. And at this stage of life know that there are no real responsibilities, no unrealistic expectations, and no where that I really have to be. Wow, now that I think about it I am really looking forward to the holiday. I only buy gifts for a local childrens home and those will be dropped off by the first week of December so all my preparation - at least all that I am going to do - will be done.

Well that about does it for todays ramble. See ya!

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

This day has not started out quite as I'd like - but that's life. I took the bag out of the kitchen trash can, tied it up and set aside until I could take it outside. The cat decided to tear a hole in it, then the dogs decided to join the party. A few minutes after I broke up the party and had cleaned everything up, mopped the kitchen floor, one of the dogs threw up on the clean floor. They have been banned to the yard for the rest of the day. They will have to come in later - we are in for stormy weather this afternoon and evening.

Gurley, congrats on your new job. It's good to be happy in your work.

Nothing wrong with Folger's. I drink it about all the time as a regular everyday coffee. I like the dark French roast.
    Now and then I get a bag of Starbucks.

Back to chores - a good day to all
    Gerry

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gerry - what a day! I do hope it got better.

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Thanks - the rest of today went pretty good until a few minutes ago. We have just gone under a tornado watch for this area. Already I can hear distant thunder and we have had one quick downpour. It's rather windy which frightens me since I have lots of tall trees all around the house. Last spring I had several pines taken out that were dying, but the man who did it couldn't finish and I haven't found anyone else willing or able to cut the rest of them. So strong winds terrify me. I'm planning to sit up all night if necessary. Heck, if a tree is coming down on top of me I want to know it.

Now I have to shut down this machine and unplug everything. Already have lanterns and flashlights strategically placed. I do have the TV tuned to a Charleston station.

The weather bug map looks like severe weather is hitting most of the state.

Gerry

• candler
    17 years ago

Good Saturday (18th) Morning, All. Got my flu shot this morning at the Dr's office. They open a couple of Saturdays in the Fall strictly for this purpose.

My morning coffee is normally a staple such as MH's bold french roast. I'm not sure if I've tried Folger's. I might give it a shot.

We played Maggie Valley CC Thursday. The last hole is a par 5. I hit a good drive; fairway shot; and about a 120 yard iron to the green with the ball landing 12 feet away from the hole. I putted it in for a birdie. I don't know why but playing the last hole decently seems to mentally redeem what screw ups were done on the other 17.

We're heading to play in S. C. next week because it's beginning to stay colder during the day here in the mountains. Thursday it was around 45 and windy. I stayed fairly comfortable but one or two in our foursome didn't.

Congrats on the job change, Gurley. Having the ability to get out of or stay away from the office is certainly a perk. Back in my gainful employment days I was to stay away from the office most of the time. However, in the latter years what I did created so much in depth paper work being there was demanded. Regardless, come Friday at lunch the office would clear out. Except for a clerk and manager the place would be empty. Everyone else was at the courthouse, or somewhere? Keep this in mind for Fridays, Gerry.

Gerry, I hope the weather treated you kindly. I watch more of the upstate news than local and generally am informed of SC weather. That was a riot about the trash. Still, one has to love them. If the kids new I said that they would have a dog or cat here in a moment's notice. I'd better be careful.

Years ago I had trash in bags at the road. I'd left them there the night before. The next morning trash was all over the place. I had to pick it up, of course. I knew a few people had dogs around but these were usually fenced. But, I thought they might let them out at night. A week or so later I got up early on trash day. There must have been a dozen or more crows just having a great time with my trash. That day I bought an extra large trash can at Lowe's.

I've read what others said about decorating for Christmas. I don't but the kids drag out a thing or two. My wife and I were married in 1961 and lived in an apartment just outside D.C. The first year my wife wanted our tree to have all colbalt blue balls. A couple of friends were over the evening she decorated. After a while, as she would put a ball on the tree, I would sneak around; remove a ball from the tree; and put it back in the box. It took a little while but she finally caught on. She laughed and so did we.

The Holiday Season gets a little tougher with each year. I thought it should become a little easier but what do I know. I look forward to December 21. Somehow, just the thought the daylight hours start being longer is a little uplifting. It seems to cancel out the fact that the primary winter months are still to come.

I hope All are well and happy. Regards, Gene

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

The worst of the storm missed me fortunately. I had lots of limbs down, the yard turned into a very shallow lake, wet leaves were stuck fast to the windows, but no trees were uprooted, no yard furniture blown away. I was up most of the night though. Up in southeastern NC (area near where I grew up)the folks were not so lucky. A tornado hit a mobile home park in Reigelwood (near Wilmington) and 8 deaths were reported. I have family up in that area so on Thursday I spent a lot of the day either on the phone or online trying to make sure they were OK.

Late Thursday afternoon a nephew arrived, bringing me a beautiful German Chocolate cake for my birthday (which was yesterday) and rib eye steaks which he prepared for our dinner. He stayed overnight so we had a great visit. Then yesterday (Friday) an old friend brought me a small bottle of Crown Royal. I had forgotten that the bottles are actually crown shaped and come in little purple bags with gold lettering! He said he remembered how my mother and I, many years ago, loved a drink of Crown Royal - exactly 2 tablespoons mixed in coke or ginger ale and several maraschino cherries dropped in it. Then when we finished our drinks we would eat the "drunken cherries". I shall have to try that again some day....I received cards from all my siblings, cards and phone calls from both my children..
    So it was a very good birthday - mostly because no one asked or even mentioned AGE!!

Yesterday the UPS truck came to deliver a package and when he opened the gate my little terrier escaped, making a bee line for the woods. I spent about an hour looking for and calling him, but I guess he was pretty far down in the swamp. Being early in the day, he had not had breakfast yet, so I knew he would soon be hungry. I took the leftover steak from the night before, chopped it up in tiny pieces, and did the Hansel and Gretel thing ....dropping little pieces from the edge of the woods back to the open gate. Then when I saw him come out of the woods and find the meat scraps, I started "working" in the iris bed just outside the gate, pretending not to notice him. After he ate his way through the gate I pushed it closed. That would never have worked with the other dogs since they have been taught to "leave it". But then the other 2 dogs would never have run off into the woods. This little dog definitely suffers from ADHD
    (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) and can't stay focused long enough to learn anything it seems. But he knows how to give kisses and cuddle, so I guess he's worth all the trouble.

Gene, where in SC will you be golfing next week? I know you sometimes go to Santee area. Weather for next week (thru Thanksgiving) is forecast for daytime temps of 50's and low 60's with only 20% chance of rain for the lakes area.

It should be a quiet weekend - I have 2 new books to read.

If I don't get back here before then, I hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving.

Gerry

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

I went out to get in the car and drive to town a few minutes ago. Quickly changed my mind - it's sleeting!! I definitely do not want to drive 27 miles on a country road with such weather. It's 39 degrees so no ice is accumulating, but I'd still rather be inside.

Sorry about the weather forecast I gave you in the last post, Gene. We have a standard cliche here in SC - "If you don't like the weather, stick around for a few minutes and it will change".

Time to make another pot of coffee - I think I will drink Starbucks this afternoon.

I've just finished reading "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan". It takes place in 19th century China - beautifully written, yet disturbing, heartbreaking.

A long winter's nap is in order for this afternoon.

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have plenty to do this evening and have to get up early for work. My work day is starting at 6:30 am now (ugh).

But I just wanted to do a quick check in anyway. I can hear the wind whipping outside and it is so nice to be in where it is warm and have a fire going. Very tempting to call in sick tomorrow :-) but I won't.

The Cup was a lot of fun and the weather was great. I don't usually hang out with co-workers but one of them that I do like I met up with at the Cup and we had a very pleasant time. She is normally a fairly serious type but I found out that when she gets a little 'toasty' she gets very happy and smiley. I did take a few pictures which I will get around to posting in a day or so if anyone is interested.

Not much else going on here - guess I'd better get to my few chores before going to bed.

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'm not into the whole cook for a million people thing but I did make a couple of pumkin pies just because I like a good pumkin pie. Mostly I just enjoy the FIVE days that I have off - what a luxury!

A co-worker has given me a metal pergola that I will go dismantle and bring home, I am planting more daffodils, and I guess that's about it for any real plans for this holiday.

Other than that I'll just putz around and enjoy the time off. Hope everyone else has a good holiday too!

• candler
    17 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving, Folks. Gerry, we don't make it further south than around the Spartanburg/Greenville when it's too chilly to play golf in the mountains. That's not to say there's not some die hards still playing around here but I don't think any of my group is included.

Today there were nine of us at my house. It certainly made it come to life. One of my daughters started a book three years ago in which we all write about what we're thankful for. It's interesting going back to read what I said and what others said. A lot of it is redundant but sometimes things appear which have new meaning. By tomorrow or Saturday they'll be back at their homes. Only one of my children live away from the area and that's only a couple of hours away. Still, the quietness will seem strange as it usually does after a visit.

I thought I liked strong coffee but I think whoever made it for dinner over did it. It took at least two pieces of pumpkin/walnut pie to offset its taste. Maybe it was the whipped topping I put on it, too.

I've been trying to read about GPS's, especially their ability to read elevations. I'd like to find someone who has a real in depth knowledge of them.

Regards to all, Gene

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

I awakened this morning to the sound of silence. For four wonderful days this old house was filled with the sounds of love and laughter (and a few tears), but now the children have returned to their own homes, lives, routines.

Now the Christmas holidays officially begin. I'll be busy a few days finishing Christmas decorations. We got the tree up yesterday. What a beautiful time we had - I usually do it alone, but this year there was lots of help. Of course everyone had comments to make as they hung an old favorite ornament and sometimes those remarks were made with tears streaming as old memories surfaced.

Come now, Gene, was the coffee really that strong, or were you just looking for an excuse to have that extra piece of pumpkin/walnut pie? :)

Saturday afternoon I got a call from a first cousin that I have not seen for almost 25 years. I plan to drive up to see her later this week. We were very close during our growing up years and into our young adult year, but as children were born, and our families moved around, we never saw each other except at family reunions now and then

• candler
    17 years ago

Howdy, Folks - I've not acquired or thought much about coffee for a while. I sort of gave up my late afternoon/early evening cup. I started having trouble falling asleep and thought that might be it. Although I quit, more or less, it didn't help my sleeping. Still, I haven't started it back. Oh, well.

One of my daughters did a little Christmas decorating when she was here for Thanksgiving. I can't say it cheers things up but seeing even a little decoration is a visual relief from the ordinary.

Yes, Gerry, you caught me. I grab any excuse I can get when it comes to having more pie or cake. There's probably a lot of us doing it. I'm 205 but recall how much better I felt around 180. However, that was due to being in the hospital with Pancreatitis. I'm usually around 200.

After seeing so many of the ads I succombed to NutriSystem and got a month of their food. When it came in I had just developed a very bad cold. I don't know about others but when I'm ill I like comfort food. It wasn't a time to start eating smart. So, it's still in the box.

So now I must be pretty much over my cold. I'll give it a shot in a few days. I played golf today at a local course indicating I must be feeling better.

I hope everyone is happy and well and that you're enjoying the Holiday Season.

Regards to all, Gene

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Well, Christmas decorations are finished for the most part. The house looks warm and cozy. I still have to do the tree for the birds. Usually I just use a large bare branch or a small dead tree stuck in a larger planter filled with dirt,which tend to blow over - but this year I want to make one I can take up and use from year to year. I'll be building it myself, so will have to get lumber I can handle. I plan to make the "trunk" out of an 8' 2x2, sinking the bottom 1 1/2' into a pipe in the ground, then screw or nail "branches" horizontally, getting shorter as they go up - you know, shaped like a Christmas tree. From these branches I can hang apples, pine cones stuffed with peanut butter and rolled in bird seed, suet cakes, etc. I really enjoy putting out goodies for the birds every year. Of course, I already have the regular bird feeders out.

I am giving some serious thought to selling my place here and moving nearer to town. I am thinking about the Summerville area - it's a beautiful little town and they now have a medical center there.

My step-daughter and her husband will be visiting me tomorrow. My step-daughter is such a dear, sweet person. I was married to her dad for 23 years, so she feels like one of my own. She was in her 20's and already married when I first met her, but we have always been close.

Gene, you are so brave to attempt a diet with all these holidays. I have never known anyone personally who has done the NutriSystem, but their meals look very good on TV. A few years ago I went on the Atkins low-carb diet and lost over 40 pounds - though it took me almost a year. Even now, I try to curb the carbs - try to stay within 100 grams per day) If I catch my jeans getting too snug, I cut out the bread, homemade biscuits, pastas, etc. And I never have gone back to eating refined sugar. I use Splenda even in my baking. I still haven't reached my goal of a size 10 though!! But I don't feel so bad about my 12's. Being tall helps, too.

The dogs have finally completed their refresher courses in obedience training and are doing quite well. I decided to put them all through it.

Gurley, I ran across the story about the lady who planted all those thousands and thousands of daffodils, one bulb at a time, and I thought about you.

I watched Miracle on 34th Street for the umpteenth time last night. Enjoyed it all over again.

Goodnight.
    Gerry

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello all,

I am home from work today recuperating from my surgery. I had a spot of basal cell carcinoma on my nose. I thank my lucky stars I have access to such a good doctor, he had to take out quite a bit. It took eight stitches to close but I can see that it will heal and still leave me with a decent looking nose. Its a little scary to look at right now though should have done this for Halloween I could have gone as Frankenstein! It hurts like the devil right now so even though I am very much up and about I am staying home because Im afraid that I wouldnt be very patient with anyone today.

My friend sent me the book The Loners Manifesto Party of One and I have started reading it. I LOVE this book. It received mixed reviews and I can understand why. This lady says some things that can certainly rub a person the wrong way but that is sort of what being a loner is about. We dont necessarily flow with what the mainstream likes or dislikes. The book doesnt really enlighten me in any way it is just an affirmation of the many of the thoughts and feelings that I have. It is kind of nice to know that someone else feels the same way.

Gerry, I really like your idea of a Christmas tree for the birds! I may have to copy that idea. I have 4 birdfeeders and two bird baths but more is better when it comes to the birds. I dont know all of the names of the different birds but it would be fun to learn. I do recognize the tufted titmouse, that is one of my favorites. We also have lots of blue birds. I have been surprised to see so many. When I had my farm they would come to bluebird houses that I had on fence posts in the pasture but they were rather solitary and stayed well away from the house or other busy areas. Here they are all around and I will see 8 or 9 at a time.

I looked up Summerville and that is 79 miles from my house according to the map. I cant really remember what Summerville is like but I do remember thinking that I like the place each time I pass through. Actually I like the whole area as you head towards Charlston.

Gene, I will have to do some research on Nutri-System. I really dont know anything about it. I really slacked off on my weight program. I am maintaining but have not lost anymore weight. I hate to have to obsess about it all of the time but it is a requirement in my line of work. Weight has always been a problem in my family so I guess I will have to continue the struggle for about 10-14 more years. Then I can retire and have chocolate fudge sundaes for breakfast J.

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Gurley, I ordered a pretty good book on birds through Amazon. It is published by the Univ. of North Carolina - called "Birds of the Carolinas". I keep it on a table by my chair so it's handy if I see a bird I don't recognize.

And speaking of birds --- the greatest bird picture I didn't get was the one of a red-headed woodpecker hanging on a small hummingbird feeder and sipping nectar!!!

I had an unknown visitor last night. I was awakened by the sound of a phone ringing and realized it was a cell phone just outside my bedroom window. At about the same time my dogs started raising heck, so I jumped up and started turning on lights inside. Had an outside light already on at the back door, could see there was no one standing there, so opened it enough to let the dogs get outside. They were really upset. Then I heard a car start up and speed down the driveway - it hit the corner of the fence where the drive takes a turn, but kept on going. So now the police are looking for a car with damage to it's right front and/or right side. I don't know if it was someone who was intent on doing mischief or just a Saturday night drunk confused about where he was. But if he was planning on burglarizing the place he made a big mistake by not turning off his phone.

Here's some advice from an old farmer:
    * Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
    * A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.
    * Meanness don't jes' happen overnight.
    * Forgive your enemies - it messes up their heads.
    * It don't take a very big person to carry a grudge.
    * You cannot unsay a cruel word.
    * Every path has a few puddles.
    * Don't judge folks by their relatives.
    * Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
    * Always drink upstream from the herd.

Hope the coming week is kind to you.
    Gerry

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

gerry, that is just awful! I do hope you called the police. I can only think that who ever it was was up to no good. Perhaps if you called them they could include you on thier nightly checks. When I lived in Richland county the local sherrif used to do that for us.

I am working long hours in my new job so can only stop in briefly now and then.

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Yes, I called the police even before the person (people) got completely off the property. By the time the police arrived the vehicle was no where to be seen. The police also came back after daylight to see if they had missed anything in the dark. I think they took some tire casts, they took a lot of pictures, and they are checking repair shops. The damage to my fence is below my homeowner's deductible, so I won't be filing a claim for that. In fact, I don't think I will even report it in case it makes my premium go up. (They don't have to pay out, you know - all they need is to know there was a potential claim)

There is always so much crime this time of year - criminals wanting to do their Christmas shopping, I suppose. And some of them have the mistaken idea that old people tend to be wealthy and stuff their money in old socks under the bed. Bah! Humbug! If they only knew how little money most of us have, and what we do have is not hanging around in the house anywhere. I always write checks or use my bank card - seldom have over $20.00 in cash.

I asked the police about doing drive-by, and they said they would whenever possible. It's a large county and each officer has as lot of territory to cover. So I've done what I can: made sure my guns are loaded and where I can get to them quickly, have posted those tacky Beware of Dog and NO Trespassing signs, have added another outdoor flood light, and have had a relative park his old beat-up pick-up truck in the back yard. I will continue keeping all dogs inside at night - am afraid they might get some poisoned hamburger tossed to them at night if they were outside. Having them inside would likely be a deterrent to someone attempting entry since my male collie weights about 75 pounds - he's huge and very protective. They seem to have been patrolling the house more than usual last night and the night before. Listening to their nails clicking on the wood floor, it seems they are taking turns making the rounds I guess Saturday night was a wake-up call for them, too.

Anyway, I need to quit obsessing over it. I need to send a few cards out this week. My list is always short. I just can't get into the sending of cards to people you don't really care about just so you can get a bunch back. I only send cards to people I really care about and won't see or talk to over the holidays

• candler
    17 years ago

Good Morning, Folks - Gerry, it's been a long time since I've heard such a story directly from someone. I'm sorry it happened. I'm glad you have dogs. I glad it turned out with nothing more serious. I hope they find the person and throw him under the jail.

This is for whatever it's worth and you may already do it. I have a 38 S&W. The first two bullets are loaded with snake shot. The rest are regular hollow point. The snake shot spreads quickly and will generally stop someone within fifteen feet or so. It may or may not kill them but the likelihood of a good hit and stopping them in their tracks is good. At that distance one's target area grows to, I imagine, around five to seven feet wide.

Motion sensored lights have been tauted as one of the strongest deterrants, along with dogs. Sometimes they are hard to keep adjusted to movement of larger bodies. I've had possum and just about everything else set them off.

Subject change. There's a web site called coffee fool. They claim to have very fresh coffee and claim freshness is the overall key to flavor. Duh? With one using that as their key one would think their coffee would be fresh if ordered. I haven't ordered anything from them but may order a sampler pack (if they have it) after the first of the year.

Regards to all. Gene

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Good evening - or should I say "Good Morning" since it is a little past midnight now.

I seem to be having trouble sleeping these past few nights - guess I'm still a little on edge about the prowler. I find myself staying up until all hours, or if I get to bed at a decent hour, I wake up, then stay up for several hours.

Gene, how is your NutriSystem going? Is the food tasty? I need to lose a few pounds myself, but I think I will wait until after the holidays. The Nutrisystem sounds easy, simple, but I cannot spend that amount for food each month, so I will likely just go back to watching carbs, fats, calories. I do quite well eating lots of veggies, fruit, fish, chicken. Since Thanksgiving, I have been a little careless about watching my diet very closely - food just tastes so good!!

• candler
    17 years ago

Good Tuesday Morning. I had a cold. After a couple of weeks it seemed to be over. A few days later it came back in the form of flu like symptoms. I've still got it. It's been going on about a month. Crummy!

About Nutri-Sytem, Gerry, I'm not mentally ready to start the program but have been "nibbling" on a few of the packages. I don't like food very salty so I ordered low sodium. I've also got the cold. So, either one could affect how my taste buds react. My comments on their food would be unfair to make.

I've already canceled future orders (they do an automatic shipment if you don't). I had some questions and called them and was referred to a DVD that came with the food. I don't have a DVD player and they seemed shocked. It would have helped a little, I suppose. I told one of my daughters to take any of their food she wished. I'll ask what she thinks of it. I suppose if I try another weight loss program it'll have to be with regular food.

I picked up some Newman's Own organic French Roast coffee. It's a little pricy. I was surprised the grainular smell, texture, and taste was so close to Intelligensia's Black Cat Expresso.

Gerry, I hope things remain uneventful around your place. Unnerving experiences stick with me for a long time and it would be especially true with an attempted break-in. I hope yours wears off quickly.

Regards to all, Gene

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Please take care of yourself, Gene. Chicken soup really does tend to make one feel better when they have a cold. If you don't feel up to making your own, or don't have any in cans, a couple of bullion cubes in a mug of hot water makes a half-way decent substitute. Just make sure it's the low-sodium. I made some really good chicken soup last week. Boiled the chicken (I used both white and dark meat) with lots of onions, grated carrots, chopped mushrooms, garlic, diced celery, salt, pepper. I took the chicken out, deboned and chopped it, then refrigerated it. Also refrigerated the broth until it was cold and the fat had congealed on top. Skimmed that off, added the chicken back in, added about 3/4 cup rice and cooked it until the rice was done. Even after sharing with a neighbor I had soup for several meals.

Today's mail was so uplifting. I received a Christmas card from a very dear old friend with a wonderful little note enclosed. Also a card from my 2 granddaughters with a very recent picture of them enclosed.

Oh, dear, here I have been out and about all morning, filling bird feeders, walking to the mailbox, etc., and just now noticed I have my tee shirt on inside out!! No matter - I haven't seen anyone anyway, but I am glad I discovered it.

Gurley, if you get a chance to stop by - I just finished reading another of Penelope Williamson's novels - "The Wages of Sin" - takes place in New Orleans in the roaring 20's - a very gruesome murder mystery - definitely not what I should be reading right now.

It's quite warm here today - 78 degrees. Rain is predicted for Christmas Day, so hopefully it will be cooler.

Gerry

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

Hello all you good people,

Here it is - the Friday night before Christmas on Monday. I have finally completed my chores for the day - No, still have a load of dark clothes to wash. Heck, they can wait until another time.

I just prepared a late afternoon/early evening snack and plan to relax for a bit. I'm having a glass of white zinfandel, two kinds of cheeses, a few wheat crackers, some of those little hot sausages, a couple of chocolates - I definitely will not need to think about making dinner - unless it's more of the same. Hehe!!

Tomorrow I'll be going upstate to have lunch with my stepdaughter and her husband. Will be doing some cooking after I get back home in preparation for Sunday's Christmas dinner. My son and his family will be here. Daughter and her husband both have O.R. duty from tomorrow thru the 26th and won't be able to make it. Then Monday (Christmas Day) I'll have a quiet day at home alone eating left overs and reading.

So, to all of you, Gurley, Gene, Karen, and others, with whom I have shared my life these past few months, and who have shared yours with me, I would like to wish you the happiest of holidays. May the Peach, Joy, and Love, that is Christmas be with you throughout the holidays and the coming year.

Merry Christmas

E-mails are welcome.

Gerry

• candler
    17 years ago

Good Morning, All. First, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a happy Holiday Season. I hope the Holiday Season is very peaceful. I wish for you that 2007 is a very kind year.

Gurley, by my count this will be post number 97. Sometimes accessing new posts is almost like watching a turtle walk - verrrrrrrrrrry slooooooooooooowly. What happens when we reach 100. Since you started this topic it's up to you. Should we begin a Coffee Shop 2?, too?, Two?, II?, or whatever? Admittedly, you, Gerry, Karen (on occasion) and I have been most predominent. Still, I enjoy reading what everyone has to say.

My brother is giving a Christmas present of six months of Charter Cable high speed internet. It'll certainly be a new experience. I don't use the Internet a lot. I've heard there's a lot out there for people to enjoy and/or learn but they are reluctant to mess with it because of slowness. We'll see.

I hope to get some Caribou coffee for Christmas. It's good and is rated the highest among those who do that stuff. Either the Caribou or Summitt Coffee House Kilamanjaro (sp?) or Timor. Summitt is located at Davidson, N. C. and sells primarily organic coffee, I think. I've liked what I've gotten from them. I prefer the Kilamanjaro (sp?) a little better than the Timor.

The family comes home for Thanksgiving. The family goes to one of my daughter's at Christmas. She has three children and that makes Christmas Day brighter.

Regards to all, Gene

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good call Gene

We're going to get dumped soon - kind of like a date - so we had better do the dumping first :-)

I'll start a new one as I have grown quite attached to you guys and don't want to lose the connection.

Sponsored