SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fisheggs_gw

Replacing a few tongue and groove boards...

fisheggs
18 years ago

Hi all! Just moved over here from the kitchen remodelling forum, since it looks like I'll have to wait til spring to start that project.

We just bought a 1975 home in Ithaca, NY. The previous owners replaced a leaky roof two years ago with a very good new roof that we don't have to worry about. However, when the roof leaked, there was some carpenter ant damage that actually moved into the home in the tongue and groove paneling on the cathedral ceilings, and there is some visible water damage near the old (replaced with new) skylights as well. I'll attach some pictures of the water damage below.

In a "this old house" magazine, I saw an article where the contracters removed several T&G boards from a floor and replaced them. It looked like for the last 2, they'd kind of angle them both and pop them in. Has anyone here done this and would it be feasible to do this on a paneled ceiling? The room with the water damage has a low ceiling that we can reach with a small stepladder, so we could try it out there.

What I'd like to do is remove 10 or so panels from the central section, throw out the worst 3, and then scatter new boards throughout when I put it back together. I figure this will give us a good view of what is really under there (to watch out for future problems), and it would spread out the difference between the new and old paneling. If this worked well in the smaller room, we'd try it in the big one. Luckily, the damage there is all in the lowest part of the ceiling, at about 9'.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Rowena

Comments (2)