SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skymom_gw

Minor Termite Problem & Repair

skymom
18 years ago

An exterminator inspected the house today. We thought we had carpenter ants, but it turns out we have a minor termite problem. The good news is the termites are only in the attached garage. They are in the frames of the garage doors, and at the threshold of the back exterior door in the garage.

The inspector recommended replacing the garage door frames and the bottom of the back door with pressure treated wood.

He said he could treat only the garage for $800.00, or the entire house and garage for $1600.00. The treatment is trenching around the house and pouring an insecticide barrier. They would also drill a few holes in the concrete of the garage and in the front mud room tile and fill those holes with poison and then patch the holes. He said the guarantee is 5 years.

Well, $800 & $1600 seems like a lot of money for a minor problem. Plus the cost of replacing the garage door frames and studs with pressure treated. By the way, does replacing with pressure treated sound right? Plus, we already bought a new door for the back, we just have to install it. That was a project we were going to do anyway. We just have to put pressure treated on the bottom part.

So, any ideas on how to deal with these termites, besides hiring a pro & a barrier of poison? Can I just replace the wood, and put some termite poison around the garage myself? I would like to use the least amount of poison possible.

Comments (2)