SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

New mattress or topper? Featherbed? Memory foam?

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

In the usual way of decorating my new matalasse coverlet makes my mattress look lumpy so I'm considering either a new mattress (this one is 18-years-old) or just a topper for it.

The current mattress still seems in pretty good condition and is comfortable, but if the topper were too expensive, then perhaps it'd make more sense just get a new mattress. I noticed yesterday that Costco is selling several Sealy mattresses many of which look like they have built-in toppers to make them extra deep.

If I were to go with just a topper I'm considering either a featherbed or memoryfoam, leaning towards a featherbed.

Would love some recommendations on the above.

TIA!

Comments (22)

• alex9179
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a pseudo-feather topper, and I would not recommend that. It IS very warm for winter, but it doesn't fluff back up after you get out of bed like real down does. We now live in a semi-tropical climate in Texas, and the thought of sleeping on down makes me sweat. I wouldn't consider it a year-round option.

I currently have two 1 inch latex toppers and I love them. Latex does not hold heat like the memory foam does. It conforms to your body without forming big indentions, and it still give me that soft, luxury feeling while holding it's shape. It bought us some time with our 10 year old set. If you end up buying a new bed, I encourage you to look at the type using latex in the pillow-top.

I have read several places that mattresses have around a 10 year life span, then the support degrades. It might be time to start looking :)

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Val,
    Your new matelasse looks very nice:)
    I am in the same position - with an older mattress but not ready to replace. I was at Costco yesterday & picked up a memory foam topper. It is currently coming back to shape from being vacuum sealed on my bed - will let you know how I like it.
    I bought from Costco - cuz in case I don't like I can return with little hassle.
    Smiles:)

• Related Discussions

Memory foam topper - zones?

Q

Comments (6)
    I bought ours several years ago and we love it! I then went on to buy one for our guest room bed and one for our daughter's bed. When DS was in grad school, we bought him one for that bed. Two years ago, I sent one to my parents for their Florida home and they tell me that they've never slept better than they do on this topper. They went out and bought one for their Michigan place, as they said they couldn't sleep without one anymore (LOL!). All have the different comfort body zones. The only suggestion I can give you is to buy the 2" or 3" toppers and not the thicker ones. When I was looking for mine, several people on a decorating forum like this told that they'd purchased the thicker ones and none of their fitted sheets would fit over them. All of the ones we now have are 2 1/2" or 3" and the fitted sheets work fine with them. Lynn
    ...See More

Do you have a featherbed topper on your mattress?

Q

Comments (31)
    I have one :) My Gran for some reason had two. She is always switching things on her bed, trying to find something for them to get a better nights sleep and I guess she didn't like the one or something so she bought another. Then she removed them all together and I inherited it! Out mattress is old and should be replaced but we always have something else we need the money for. The topper made our old bed like new again :) The one we have came from QVC, from Nothern Nights. I LOVE it! DH and I have slept better in our bed since we've had that topper than ever before. The only complaints I have are that I have to get my hands under the fitted sheet every day on either side of the bed and fluff the topper so it's soft again for bed. Also, because we're used to it, I HATE sleeping anywhere else on any other bed. I just don't sleep well! It's also not a good idea for like kids or anyone that may have pets or kids sleeping in their bed because accidents aren't good! DS whined because our bed was so soft so I found him a different type of topper but he has a liner between the topper and his sheets to be on the safe side ;)
    ...See More

The Scooting Memory Foam Topper

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes, I just unrolled it and then put the memory foam topper on and then my sheet. I had such a time before keeping it in place and it was hard to keep the bed made easily. Maybe it was because I am up and down and in and out of bed a lot at night. Anyway, it has really helped me. We did have a posting about it a couple of weeks or so ago. Sue
    ...See More

Memory foam mattress topper is too hot!

Q

Comments (23)
    Sarahlee, It somewhat surprises me when you say that your topper is gel foam. When I was in the market for a new mattress I told all the sale people that I did not want foam because of its reputation for being hot to sleep on. I'm extremely bothered by being too warm when I sleep. One of the salespeople told me about the gel foam and how it is sensitive to your body temps and makes for a cooler sleep. I was skeptical, but with a money-back guarantee I did purchase it and have been very pleased. I have never been in the market for a topper, so I wasn't even aware that they made a gel foam one. It would seem that if it is a topper only, the gel layer can't be that thick. Seems like most replies you've gotten have been relative to regular foam, rather than the gel foam.
    ...See More
  • Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

alex: Thanks for the info about the feather beds being warm. I run on the cold side so OK with me, but DH does not so it needs to work for him as well. Only thing I would consider is real Down--like from Cuddledown. But, if it's not meant as a year round solution it is out as it's exactly in summer with just the coverlet the mattress looks so lumpy.

johnatemp: Thanks for the compliment on my coverlet. DH and I love it. It's so much more comfortable than the microfiber fleece blanket we used before. I'd never go back--both for looks and comfort. I have considered the memory foam toppers at Costco as well. Let me know what you think.

OK, so maybe I should just replace the mattress. Any suggestions of good mattresses?

Guess I'm sentimental as DH and I bought just before we married and conceived all our kids on that mattress. Anyone else sentimental about their old mattress?

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

I would never do a foam topper again...too hot for us. Our next bedding set will be a Sleep Number.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

If you don't like the 'lumpy' look of your current mattress - DO NOT get a featherbed! I have a feather bed topper and absolutely love it but I did have to give up a bit of my perfectionism to get to this place! If you want more specifics or pictures of mine say the word. I recommend featherbeds for comfort, not looks.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dlm2000: Would love to see a picture of your featherbed. I've wondered about that also when I was looking at them yesterday in the store.

mpwdmom: I've heard of the sleep number before. I'll look more into it. I have no idea what to get if going for a new mattress.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

If you've ever had a feather pillow, you know how they they squash down from your head? You can shake them back to shape, but they 'retain the imprint' from weight. It's the same with a featherbed topper. When you get out of bed, it's squashed down from where you were. You can shake it back to shape but it's a daily thing.

So here's the bed all made up - see how it's not flat but a bit rolly? You never get a featherbed totally flat. If I had a feather duvet on top, it probably wouldn't show as much.

{{gwi:1750879}}

This shows how I make the bed - box spring is unseen behind the side rail - mattress always has a fitted sheet on it - featherbed has a cover (unseen) with a fitted sheet on it. That's so that I can fold back the top sheet and blanket, grab the featherbed on the side and give it a shake then do the same on the other side........... every morning. I like the featherbed enough that it's worth it but you should know going in what the maintainence is!

{{gwi:1750880}}

And just for you I sat on my beautifully made bed and then took a picture so you can see what happens if you do that and don't shake it out!

So...... how's your OCD ??? Featherbeds are not for the faint of heart!

{{gwi:1750881}}

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dlm2000: Oh, yours looks so comfy!!! Not exactly lumpy like mine where it sinks in the middle, but I can see with my kids sitting on it as they do sometimes when they come in out room, it's going to look a tad lumpy. I actually like yours better with the coverlet than a down comforter on top--just too poofy. We were at a hotel over the 4th that had featherbeds and were so comfortable to sleep in, though they had a comforter on top and did look quite poofy. You say you put the sheet on the mattress and another on the feather bed? The ones I saw at Linen's 'n Things almost looked like a matress pad with the feather bed part on the top so I was thinking I'd just use sheets for deep mattresses. Do you find yours hot in summer?

I'll need to consult with the other half to see what he thinks--featherbed or new mattress. I don't think he'll like the memory foam as it would probably be too hot for him.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

This is the featherbed we have - quite thick.

{{gwi:1750882}}

I originally tried putting one fitted sheet over it and the mattress at the same time but it squashed it down too much and then I had no way to grab it and shake it out without totally unmaking the bed each morning. This way I can access the featherbed without removing the fitted sheet on it or the one on the mattress - understand? It's clearer when you can actually see the process, I'm sure. We've had ours now for a year and a half and use it year round. My DH is the hot one (he wears shorts in our Chicago winters!), I'm always cold and we're both comfortable with it. Feathers are great insulators but they also breathe. There are also wool toppers from an Australian company - wool also breathes well and it might be something to look for. It probably is easier than the feathers, and I like the natural idea far more than the memory foam.

Here is a link that might be useful: Company Store Featherbed

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Hmm.. sorry, but a feather bed doesn't take the place of a new mattress. I adore mine but it doesn't provide any support at all-- your bed supports are breaking down. I KNOW mattresses are expensive.. and I KNOW it is a PIA to shop for them but a mattress has a life of about 8-10 years. I know it has sentimental value to you-- but it's had a good life ;)

I find mattresses are very personal-- but I recently fell in love with a bamboo therapedic mattress. I didn't buy it-- as I have a few years left on my mattress but it was very comfortable and I really liked that it was made from bamboo (cool in the summer/warm in the winter).

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

DLM - your room is so pretty!! I love it.

Val, I never have enough time to post on here.....but wanted to add my sis got a sleep # & they love it!! BIL has a bad back & says he sleeps sooooo much better & doesn't walk crooked over to the shower anymore!! They got the granny style that raises & lowers & it also vibrates;) (might be fun) Anyways, it was $$ but they feel worth it. I am going to try to limp mine alone for a few more years.

Smiles:)

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

A while back someone posted a link to a company that makes latex mattresses and that is what I want next time. I've read so many good reviews about them. I hate spending that kind of money though but I may have to bite the bullet. Hopefully someone will repost the link.

I know that old mattress holds lots of fond memories, but consider treating yourself to a new one. Who knows, maybe you'll conceive again with a good firm mattress. LOL
    If I'd ever owned a mattress that lasted 18 years, I'd frame that puppy and hang up somewhere! LOL I'm lucky to get 5 years before they start to sag and I'm not that heavy!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, OK, I will look into replacing it. But no more kids!!! Sheesh! You should've seen this puppy being brought into and out of the townhouse we rented during our remodel. It had to be folded in half to go up the stairs and the was send down the balcony 8 months later.... I never thought we'd bring it back, but it was such a rush just to get back in the house and so many decisions to make.

I'm a bit leary of a "latex" bed since we are a bit allergenic in our family. Anyone have one of the Sealy beds that Costco sells? Will look into the sleep number. It sounds intriguing.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

valinsv, I don't have a costco sealy mattress but my sister just bought one for her guest bedroom. She had surgery recently and shipped her DH off to the guest room for a few weeks and he said it was great-the best mattress he's slept on. He has a bad back so he is very particular about his mattresses.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh in my earlier post-- but I think you owe it to yourself to get a new mattress-- especially if you are a bit allergic!

I moved my featherbed to the guest room because I find it too hot with the down comforter and I prefer the down comforter (along with a quilt or coverlet). I do love sleeping on them though. I have bought all of mine from the company store.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funkart: You were not harsh. I wouldn't post a question here if I did not need advice to help me make a decision. I figured in my own mind there was not too much point to get a topper if the mattress was a goner, but we still find it pretty comfortable--so it's mainly the looks, but I can see at the age it's at it would make more sense to spend my money on a good quality mattress than a topper at this point. I'm still very temped by a featherbed (after the mattress is replaced though). If I were to get a featherbed would I then get a standard depth mattress? Most of the ones seem to be deep. Bamboo is a very interesting material. I've see the sheets and towels advertized at the Company Store. It is supposed to be less allergenic is it not, due to the longer fibers?

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Thanks Valins.. I wasn't thinking harshly but I did respond quickly. I just felt bad that I didn't compliment your room (which is lovely) or add a smiley face as I told you to spend another 1-3K on a mattress. :)

I have heard that bamboo is less allergenic but I am not sure if or how that applies to mattresses. I'd be interested to find out though. I will say that I was drawn to it for its comfort and I like that bamboo is such a highly renewable resource. The store also gave me a GREAT price on it. I really want to buy it now but I just have too many other things to buy.. and I already exceeded my budget.

I waited wayyyy too long to replace the guest mattress (mine was about as old as yours but not nearly as good quality). I also added a feather bed to it thinking it would buy me another few years but it really just accentuated the lumpiness. I just reached a point where I was embarrassed by the sagging and grossed out at the thought of 18 yr of dust mites etc. I didn't go crazy (since it is a guest room). I bought a higher end plush top-- so not a high end mattress at all. I couldn't be more pleased. I had a niece and nephew here for a week and they just raved about the new bed.. and they slept sooooo much better than they had in the past.

OH. the other thing I really liked about the bamboo therapedic mattress was that it has coils in the pillow top. No mushed spots and just soooooo comfortable!

• terrilang
    15 years ago

WE too were looking for a new mattress a couple of years ago and got a Sleep Number bed. We could not adjust to it no matter what setting we put it on - different for each of us. However, the company was amazing to deal with. They let you try the bed and then return it if it does not work out for you. We kept it for the initial 30 days and then called to say it wasn't working out for us. they told us to keep it longer - still with the money back guarantee. What a deal! Unfortunately we still could not find settings that were comfortable so it did go back but with no hassle. The only thing we paid was the shipping. Well worth not being stuck with a mattress that we would not be happy with.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funkyart: You make a good point about the featherbed only accuenting the problem and not fixing it.

terrilang: So what type of mattress did you end up getting after you sent back the sleep number?

• susieq07
    15 years ago

I have 2-1/2" thick dense memory foam toppers on all our mattresses and would never be without again, best restfull sleep we ever got! it adjust to your body temp, and body, no pressure points, it's amazing and wonderful, and only place to buy is overstock.com all sizes same price, you can not beat the prices in stores...shipping under $3.00 no tax.

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

Val, I found the website that I mentioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://sleepez.com/

• klinger
    15 years ago

I don't often post here, but since I sell beds for a living thought I'd add my 2 cents. For any one who has allergies replacing an 18 year old matt makes a lot of sense.Dust mites are in your mattress, the average person perspires over a cup a night and sheds dead skin cells. That's the food source for dust mites. Your bed gains approx a pound a year of dust mite feces. It's a great idea to vacuum your matt regularily if you've got allergies. There's also a lot of excellent mattress covers designed to prevent the moisture and skin cells from penetrating the mattress. The old days of hot and crinkly waterproof matt covers are gone, new technology has now got gortex backed matt covers which are recomended by allergy and asthma associations. So when you replace your matt consider a good matt cover.Latex is a really good product for any one with allergies also, especially tallalay latex which is a natural product, and like bamboo, a natural antimicrobial . You might be surprised at how much better a new mattress will feel. At 18 years old yours really is not providing you with the support it used to, and of course likely your body and requirements have changed during that period of time. I would highly recommend you replace your mattress rather than buy a topper for it,
    hope this helps.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Here's a post I saved awhile back. It made me decide that the next time I'm in the market for a mattress, I will probably get one without the pillow top and just add a mattress topper.

Laurie

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on Tue, Apr 15, 08 at 23:42

If you wanted your mattress to be softer by adding something to the top, and being budget conscious, what would you do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow-Up Postings:
    RE: Mattress toppers? clip this post email this post what is this?
    see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by tracey_b (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 0:07

What I already did--get a memory foam mattress topper from overstock.com. Any size is same price. We love it on our bed, and when I had to sleep on our guest bed, I really missed it, so I turned around and ordered a topper for it. I got the king-size for it too, and cut it down to full-size, saving the extra to make neck "rolls" and pet beds! I then ordered one for my 89-yr-old mom who had purchased a cheap mattress when buying a daybed for her assisted living apartment; she's much happier now.
    I got the 2", 4-lb density Serta for about $80. They have 1", 2", 3", and 4" to choose from. I decided what to buy based on reading many of the reviews on the 2" and 3" toppers. I know I'll have a hard time sleeping now when we go anywhere away from home! My arm doesn't hurt anymore at night (I'm a side-sleeper).

No, I don't work for Serta or Overstock--I'm just a happy topper owner....who's headed to mine right now :-)

Tracey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by walkin_yesindeed (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 0:15

I haven't slept on memory foam -- was scared away when I heard it slept "hot". So I bought latex instead. Overstock used to have Sealy latex 1" toppers, but they don't anymore. I'm sure one of the resourceful types here will have a source for latex toppers: if not, and you're interested, I'll look around and see what I can unearth.
    Like Tracey, I *love* my bed now. We have a cheap, very firm Sealy queen mattress, and I used to hate it. Post-topper, I find it tough to get out of bed! I don't think I'll ever buy a padded/pillowtop mattress from here on out -- I'll just go on putting toppers over a firm mattress.

Posted by leahcate (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 1:15

nextag has a bunch listed for $200-300 range. Didn't know they were so pricey, but worth it if they really work. The heat thing scares me from the memory foam, too.

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 2:36

These toppers made it softer, right? I'm on a latex foam mattress with a not-very-thick memory foam topper, but am having real problems with sleeping through the night because of hip pain from a low back ruptured disk. The most comfy nights I've ever had anywhere were on softer mattresses.
    Did you find you had problems with your bottom sheet fitting -- if you added 2", 3", or 4"?

Posted by jjam (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 7:54

Oceanna, I'm sorry for your pain. We just went through a mattress debacle with replacing a pillowtop with a firmer plush top, and DH was in so much pain after the switch he could barely move in the morning! We did solve it with a latex foam topper; 2", and now DH loves the bed. It is on the firm side though, not as soft as the memory foam toppers. We got it because we heard they were cooler and would last forever, and after seeing it, I agree. It came with a ten year warranty and I can see why. I don't see how it will ever compress the way our pillow top did. So our story has a happy ending, but it took a lot of trial and error. I'd go to costco if you can or Penney's. They have lots of memory foam toppers, and you can look at them in person. If you decide you want latex, I got ours from a place in Michigan that I found on the web. I think it was called Factory Foam Direct. If you google that it should come up. If not, I'll find it for you. I also remember you have a place near you that makes foam mattresses, so you may do better with them. FYI, I think we paid about $150 for our 2" topper for a King mattress. The good news for you is that your mattress is latex; it will last forever. Replacing the topper is a whole lot cheaper than a new mattress!! Good Luck.

Posted by rockmanor (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 9:58

I bought eggcrate foam (cannot recall if that was from Target or JCP) and a fiberfill topper (faux featherbed) from SmartBargains-dot-com for our previous bed, and it was very soft and comfortable for me. Our current mattresses (2 twin XL) are not as hard, so we now have only a fiberfill topper from Overstock.
    Some of our old sheets were not deep enough to fit with the added thickness. I ended up using two fitted sheets. One went over the mattress and eggcrate foam, then the other covered the fiberfill topper on top. Even though our new sheets are deep enough to fit, I like the other way better because it makes it easy to shake and fluff the topper.

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 10:07

I just had a new sleeper sofa delivered; it's very uncomfortable to say the least!! I am looking for a topper, do you think any of the above offered suggestions would work for a sofa bed?
    In my search this week, I know there are specific toppers of sofa beds but they are pricey.

Posted by susieq07 (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 10:10

You can not beat the prices at overstock.com and it does not sleep hot, it actually adjust to your body temp. and it equalizes your weight so no pressure points, I did a lot of research before buying my first, now it's on all our beds even in the RV and we have the memory foam pillows would not ever sleep any other way, they are Awesome!!!! make sure you get dense enough, especially if you are no light weight. Also bought the larger sz. cut to fit with elec. kit. knife, cut's like butter...

Posted by shaun (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 10:15

WE bought a mattress from Mattress Giant a couple of yrs ago, paid almost $3000 for the darned thing.
    It's got memory foam inside it and a pillow top on top of the memory foam.

This sucker is HOT. Feels like a heating pad is under me. And I'm a menopausal woman so this is not good, not good at all.

We both wake up with lower back pain every single morning but since we paid so much for this and it's only 2 yrs old, the ol hubster will not hear of getting rid of it.

I want to get the Numbers Bed. I think that would be our best bet at this point.

I should put our mattress up for sale on CraigsList and see how much I could get for it. But I would need at least $2000 so I could get the Numbers Bed.

Oye my aching back!

But let me say, when I first get into this bed, it literally hugs you and it's SO comfy. It's the heat and the backaches that make me hate it.

Sofa Bed Mattress toppers? clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 10:16

Okay, I found my answer (I think) about sleeper sofa toppers:
    Can You Use a Memory Foam Mattress Topper on a Sofa Bed?

Here's a recent question we got on using a memory foam mattress topper pad on a sofa bed:

"I have a new sofa bed with a 5 inch mattress. But it still is uncomfortable. Will a mattress topper work in a sofa bed and will it close if I leave it on?"

This questions brings up a bigger issue - which is whether a memory foam mattress topper pad can help make a sofa bed more comfortable.

In general, the answer is probably no. The problem with a sofa bed is that it is usually too soft (because the bed sits on a metal spring type surface) and our topper pad will just make it even softer. A memory foam topper pad will help with the issue of feeling the metal rods that support the sofa bed, but there is a better answer that will help with both the rod issue and make the sofa bed feel firmer. It is a Sofa Bed Support, and it basically is a solid surface (plywood I'm guessing) that you put over the bars and metal mesh and under the sofa bed. This solution gives you a firmer surface for the sofa bed to lay on and also gets rid of the whole bar problem.

If you still wanted to get a memory foam mattress topper for a sofa bed - you just like the cushy feel - you would need to store it when you aren't using it separately from the sofa bed. The topper is just too thick to allow you to fold it into the bed.

Posted by tracey_b (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 11:08

I haven't experienced being hot from the memory foam, but it's not summertime yet (I've only had my toppers a few months). However, I'd read to get a really thick, quilted mattress pad to go over it and that it would take care of it, so that's what I did. I'm usually a "hot" sleeper, but haven't noticed any difference other than comfort.
    My sheets and mattress pad all fit over a 2" topper, but it is a snug fit. I think what helps is that the topper is usually a couple of inches shorter than the length of the bed, otherwise it would be hard to get the sheets on. My sister has a 3" and she gets her sheets and pad on top of it.

I also got a topper for my sleeper sofa in the basement. It did make it a bit more comfortable, but I haven't slept on it all night. I wouldn't feel AS guilty having someone sleep on it for a night or two as I did before the topper. For any length of sleeping time on it, I think I'd put a plywood piece under the mattress as support from the "squishiness" of the whole sofa-mattress feel. The 2" topper WILL close up with the sofa, but it is a tight fit.

For $80, it saved me from researching and spending $1000s on a new mattress. Heck, even if I have to replace this thing a few times over the years, I'd rather do this for now.....

Tracey

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 20:51

Jjam, you're right... my mattress, such as it is, came from the foam place near me. Maybe I should call them first and they'll make a deal for me since I'm already a customer. It can't hurt to ask. Otherwise, yes it would be nice to be able to feel/test something in person before buying if that's possible. I'd wondered about that.
    Tracey, you make good points and this is why I'd never buy a pillow top. It's much cheaper/easier to just add or subtract toppers.

Everyone -- thanksso much for your input!

I'm surprised nobody recommended a feather bed.

I tend to go to bed cold and wake up hot. Am I the only one? I really don't know if that's my mattress, my mattress pad, or me?

Posted by redlodger (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 21:03

I think the memory foam is about the best that I can do. I will never again own a plush pillow top mattress because all that padding eventually smooshes in to a concave shape that can't be changed. The eggcrate foam eventually wears out too.
    Oh, this is a sore subject with me-- literally. I have one of those Select Comfort Number beds. I swear-- every time I check the firmness on my little hand held devicey thing it is NEVER where it's supposed to be. I now have one of those memory foam toppers on my side of the bed. Long story short (sort of) I sleep half the night on the couch because it's more comfortable than my bed.
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement of any option, I suppose.

RE: Mattress toppers?? clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 22:53

Redlodger, I'm sad to read what you wrote. It must be no fun at all to have to sleep half the night in one place and half the night in another. I hope you can find a bed that suits you!

Posted by sippimom (My Page) on Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 1:08

Oceanna, if you are having back pain from a ruptured disc, you might want to check with your dr...because having gone through this recently, a softer bed does not help. Firmer does! The problem is that with a softer bed, there is not as much support for your spine, and that puts more stress on the already bulging disc.
    As you know if you have a latex bed, latex comes in different firmnesses. When I was having major lower back and hip pain 6 months ago, we got rid of our old king size coil mattress and bought a king size latex mattress that can be flipped. One side has a 2" layer of 22 ILD latex (softer) while the other side is 44 ILD latex (quite firm). I needed the firm side up for my back and yet my husband wanted a little softer, so I bought a good egg crate type foam topper in a twin size for his side. He's happy and... my back (and hip) is pain-free, finally.

It can take anywhere from 6-12 months for a ruptured disc to heal itself. There is a series of 3 epidural shots that you can get to help reduce the pain & inflammation while the healing process takes places. Having the firm latex bed was and is still heavenly.

Side note - the other thing that really helped was using a kneeling chair while working on the computer. That took alot of stress off my lower back from sitting. I'm still using it because I've found it to be more comfortable and it forces me to sit up straight.

You might want to check with the store where you bought your foam mattress - if it is latex - to see what the ILD is. It might be that you need a firmer topper for a while.

No problem with sheets fitting with an additional topper. Most sheets these days are made for thicker mattresses so that hasn't been an issue.

Good luck - you have my heartfelt, total sympathy on the back issue. I hope it starts feeling better for you soon!!

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 4:55

Sippimom,
    I'm so glad you're finally pain-free! It can really be un-fun, huh?

My symptoms apparently aren't typical (doc expects pain to just be down one leg/side, but it's equal), though the MRI reveals the herniated disc (and a whole lot of dessicated ones). I'm a side sleeper and my hips ache, which makes me toss and turn and wake up a lot, wishing I could lay somewhere softer. If I'm wrong I guess I could opt for a firmer one later but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Thanks about the kneeling chair. Funny enough but sitting at my computer seems to be the most comfy I get. Standing and working are hard on my back. I just don't seem to fit the descriptions like I "should."

It's good to know the disc will heal in 6-12 months. That's more than my doctor told me -- which is nothing. I get pretty depressed about it at times, feeling like it will never end and will just get worse and worse with no hope. Sometimes just walking down the hallway in my home is a major challenge. All I know now is I've got to get a softer pad on this bed very soon. Thanks very much for your kind words.

Posted by lynninnewmexico (My Page) on Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 10:40

We bought our 2" memory foam mattress topper several years ago and love it. We bought the 2" because we'd heard that everyone was having problems with their fitted sheets not fitting with the 4" . We don't have that problem with the 2". I have shoulder and lower back problems and find I sleep much, much better now that we have the MFMT on our bed. We got ours at Costco, but last year I ordered my parents each one for their Mother's & Father's Day gifts. They love them and tell me they sleep much better and wake up with less aches and pains since getting them.

Posted by walkin_yesindeed (My Page) on Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 12:38

Oceanna, has your doc referred you to a physical therapist? Many people with back pain benefit from training the core muscles (carefully! not on your own!). As they get stronger, they can support your spine and body better.
    Another suggestion below!

Here is a link that might be useful: looks goofy, but I bet it feels good!

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 19:30

Lynn, thanks for sharing your experience. This might prompt a trip to Costco. I'm sure glad you and your parents are sleeping better.
    Walkin, yes, I went to a PT for a bit. Didn't seem to make any difference. Then they threatened to bill me for an appointment I missed. I talked my way out of that. They said don't let it happen again, so I didn't -- I didn't make any more appointments. No appointments = no chance of having my grocery money chipped into.

The ball chair looks interesting. I wonder if anyone here has tried one?

Posted by tinker1121 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 6:20

We have an older Sealy Posturepedic "firm" mattress which was fine for my herniated disk for about 10 years and now that I am older, lol, it didn't cut the mustard as I have been waking in the morning feeling almost broken in half.
    Before shopping for a new mattress I bought a memory foam topper from Overstock for about $79,which looks like an eggcrate on one side, and for fear of sleeping hot at this hot age I bought a zoned latex mattress pad from JCP at 50% off and put on top of that. Those two foams are actually what new mattresses have on top if you get a cushion firm or plush.
    DH who sleeps on his back thinks it is too soft by my back stopped aching. But more problems started as we started rolling to the center on this older mattress with pads so started mattress shopping again. Not a fun experience at all.

Many mattress threads here and most of us looking for some sort of solution. Our new bed comes on Tuesday and bought another Sealy Posturepedic which is supposedly "zoned" for firm support but has a nice padded top without being a pillow top. (I was advised against this for lower back pain and when trying them out lay on your side and make sure you are aligned straight across and don't "hammock".)

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 7:55

Tinker, I hope your new bed is just what you need.
    You know it dawned on me that for the cost of some of these fancy-dancy mattresses they sell nowadays, we could have some hunky young cutie pie come in and massage us right before we go to sleep every night quite a number of times. Maybe we're looking at this all wrong? ;)

Posted by dlm2000 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 8:12

Oceanna I have experience with 2 of your issues.
    #1 We have a featherbed topper and love it. Don't know if you can consider that but for us it's wonderfully comfortable.

#2 I had back surgery for a herniated disc 6/05. I literally could not walk, was carried to the car then a gurney when I went into the hospital and had been determined to do anything (with the exception of cortisone shots) to avoid surgery. Physical therapy, chiropractic, accupuncture all had limited benefit and did not address the problem, only the pain. The problem is a mechanical one - there is a disc out of place and pressing on a nerve or nerves. The solution is also mechanical and that's why I had the surgery. I went into surger at 5:30 and was getting out of bed and walking to the bathroom unassisted at 8. I've never looked back and have no limitations. I work out hard on most days and make sure that I do a lot of work to keep those stabilizing muscles in my back and core strong so this doesn't happen again. Hopefully you can find a doctor you trust.

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 19:09

Dlm, I'm so glad you got relief, and thank you for sharing your story. What kind of doctor did you see? My insurance allows me to go to any I want.

Posted by terriks (My Page) on Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 21:13

Dlm, did you have a microdiscectomy? That's what I had about 10 years ago. I could still walk, but was pretty crippled. My whole body was crooked. I was practically living on Percocet, couldn't sleep in my bed, etc. I had no pain at all after my surgery. I occasionally still get a sore or stiff back, but nothing that can't be cured by Advil. My original pain wasn't in my back at all, but in my hip/buttock area. It eventually started going down my leg, and I do have some residual numbness in my foot. I did have an episode a couple of years ago when I started getting the pain in my hip again, and was worried that they wouldn't be able to fix it again. Fortunately it resolved itself before it got too bad.

Posted by dlm2000 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 21:58

Oceanna I saw a neurosurgeon at the insistence of my general doctor - she didn't want me going to an orthopedist.
    Terriks that's just what I had - so sorry you didn't have the same quality of results. Mine came on very fast - I didn't live with bouts of pain or immobility for years the way many people do. I had sudden onset in May that dramatically limited my mobility. I started with chiropractic and accupuncture immediately and did get relief and improvement that continued for close to a month but I never got to 100% better. Then one month after my first 'attack' I was walking to the gym and literally dropped to my knees on the sidewalk - horrendous pain, left leg couldn't support my weight at all. My DH happened to be driving by and he picked me up - literally. That was a Monday. My doctor put me on prednisone and a muscle relaxer but by Thurs I was no better, in so much pain I had to be carried to the toilet from bed and I'd been that way for 4 days. My DH took me to my doctor and she wanted to admit me immediately but I wouldn't go becaue I was determined to beat it without surgery and knew if I was hospitalized it would mean surgery. Less than 24 hours later I gave in and was admitted Friday afternoon, had an MRI and met with the neuro on Sat. He scheduled surgery for Monday and the rest is history. I still feel at times like there is a string or piece of hair caught around my middle toes - nerve damage that may never totally go away. And that's after a very short period of damage. From what I understand, the longer between onset and surgery, the more nerve damage and the less likely complete relief will happen. I got lucky. My DH is an engineer and he understood the problem from a mechanical standpoint and really pushed me to get the surgery - I would have waited if not for him.

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 0:10

Dlm, that last part you said is really scary. My dr just wants me to have PT and that's all. I'm very unhappy and need to see another doctor. What kind should I see? At this point I want to have my back removed, and my front removed too just to be thorough!

Posted by terriks (My Page) on Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 2:15

I think that my results were actually quite good. I did go for quite a bit longer before my surgery than you did though. Mostly because the doctor didn't realize that the problem was in my back. They thought maybe I had bursitis in my hip. I had cortisone shots that didn't help and physical therapy, which also didn't help. Before this happened I had suffered with back problems for years. Starting in my mid-twenties my back would "go out", and I'd have the awful spasms that would have me out of commission for days. Regular exercise helped and I didn't have much trouble for a few years when I started having the hip pain. Unfortunately my husband has the same problem, and had the same surgery as me about a year later. I always tell him that he was just jealous of my really cool scar.

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 7:15

Terri, my pain often centers in my hips. Which disc did they operate on?

Posted by dlm2000 (My Page) on Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 10:33

Oceanna I'd go see a neurosurgeon - get the appropriate diagnostic test they recommend, then they have way to tell you what's needed. Here's a strange analogy but it's kinda the way my mind works!..... if you have a pipe leaking behind a wall, you can caulk the heck out of any seams and probably keep the water from showing in your living space - for a while. But that doesn't mean the pipe is repaired, it's still leaking, only you can't see it and eventually it's going to break through that caulk and then it's going to be a bigger mess to clean up then if you'd fixed the pipe to begin with. I'm not a doctor but I play one on decorating forums ;-)
    Terriks one of the reasons I didn't have cortisone shots is because of how they impact future surgery if it's needed. Cortisone is very destructive to muscle tissue - that's one of the reasons the FDA regulates the use and limits injections to 3 in a year. But even when used within those parameters, it still changes the tissue to such an extent that it gets a 'shredded' texture and that can limit the effectiveness (or even the possibility) of surgery. As I said, I got really lucky because it was my chiropractor who gave me the heads up on cortisone - then I started doing research on my own and knew I'd never go down that road. It may be part of the reason my surgery was as successful as it was. So what's this about your scar??? Mine has all but disappeared - just a 3" tiny line now!

Post a Follow-Up
    User Name: msrose [If you aren't msrose, please click here.]

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Join : Garden Forums : Home Forums : Exchanges & Trading : Member Pages : Contact Us

© 2006 iVillage Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Service : Privacy Policy : Policies FAQ : Advertising
    iVillage Home & Garden Network