SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

Wow, that mildew sure washed away easily!

talley_sue_nyc
9 years ago

Earlier I posted pics of my trashed bathroom ceiling and upper wall.

Yesterday I got out the grubbies, the mask, the goggles, and an expendible baseball cap; a bucket, some water and bleach; and the screw-on scrub brush and the extendible broom handle.

And went after the mildew on the ceiling.

I was amazed at how rapidly it scrubbed away! And how good it looks now.

It was a bit of a pain, and the mask wasn't as much help as an actual respirator would have been. (I had the window way open but kept the door closed to protect the carpet right outside the door; it wasn't enough ventilation. I had to take a break and open the door and wait 20 minutes.)

But I was so happy to discover that it only took a little bit of scrubbing to get it off. I kept scrubbing gently at the spots just because I didn't quite believe it could be effective enough so fast.

The shower is out of commission until the whole thing is fixed. (Have to negotiate w/ DH about whether we're painting ourselves; considering that he didn't tackle the mildew, I don't really want to rely on him to tackle the painting. I'm all for honesty in a marriage, and the truth is he isn't going to do it soon enough form me. Why set up a fight, right? I want to hire Matthew Hartmann of the inexplicably named MH Painting.)

So we won't be adding moisture to the ceiling anytime soon. I am, however, going to keep an eye on the ceiling, to see if I need to do it again, or need to just spray the ceiling with a bleach mixture.

I also discovered that I can reach the ceiling if I stand on our kitchen stepladder; DH can do so w/ more pressure, less "straight over your head" angle, so if we need to revisit, I'll insist he do it.

But I'm posting this to encourage anybody who needs to tackle mildewed paint--it might be easier than you think, especially if you catch it early! It's worth the effort to move quickly on it.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional