SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltlfromgardenweb

Drapery tape.. question about sewing back-tab drapes

ltlfromgardenweb
9 years ago

Hi All, I'm posting this in the off-chance someone can answer my question. I'm planning to make my own drapes (12 in all!) for the living room which is about as big a sewing undertaking as I've ever tried. I don't like the look of clips and rings and I don't want to use grommets (I guess I like a clean look) so I was interested in sewing on back-tabs. The curtain rods are 1" diameter round rods and I do want to be able to open and close the drapes on occasion.

Wouldn't you know they sell pre-made tape that you sew to the back of the top of the drapes which has tabs through which you thread your curtain rod! A company called Rowley makes some, they call it Serpentine Tape, and Dritz has something similar. But I watched a Rowley video and they said this tape is to make drapes which are stationary, not ones that are designed to be opened and closed.

Can I use this tape and close the drapes sometimes anyway? Would they bunch and look terrible? Is there some other tape I could try that would be similar? Thanks in advance, I know this is a random question but I'm not sure who else to ask!

Comments (24)