SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Sneak peek plus patio, landscape suggestions?

sochi
9 years ago

Our small lakeside cottage in the woods is getting close now! The siding is not yet complete at the front of the building so I'll hold off on the "fun" pictures for another couple of weeks.

From the pics below you can see that we are seriously in the woods here! The lake is down and to the left (east) of the house.

This back side of the house was meant to be minimal, not giving away much of what the house really is all about. To the right (west) of the house will be a cedar path (or dock, as the architect envisions this house as a boat ..) that takes you to the main entrance. To the left, or east, we have a good size patio that will be linked to the DR by a short bridge/ramp. The house is still dusty and DH is painting this week, so he is staying in that tent - it is a 5 or 6 man tent to give you a sense of the size of the patio.

Anyway, I have FAR more cleared ground than expected. You can't see the cleared area to the left and behind me in this picture, but it is around 5,000 sq feet - about half of that is the septic field. Wildflower meadow/eco lawn there perhaps.

I also need to plant a few trees and/or shrubs to provide some separation between the end of the driveway zone and the patio. Any thoughts there? I'll modify the gravel paths at some point, but will want them to stay pretty simple/rustic.

And the patio - it is almost circular, fairly large. I'm not sure what I want for furniture there. Certainly a table, possibly a fire pit. Circular benches around a fire pit perhaps? This is still totally up in the air.

All comments, thoughts welcome on the patio, landscaping and anything else!

Here are a couple of inspiration pictures for the path areas:

Comments (10)