SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinmantu

Post it Here...How was your day...part III

Tinmantu
20 years ago

How did you get 101 posts in a 100 post limit, Walks....that proves you are a turdess!!

Comments (57)

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I wasn't very clear Walks....that friendhip is alive and well....I just had a phone call yesterday that prompted me to have to contact the mother of my child...that was the bad part....still deciding if I will rant about something so personal, but I'm still gnawing on steel....I'm spitting them out, not swallowing....an ex is an ex for a reason was the point of my mild rant

• fishead
    20 years ago

This day was short - half day at work (good friday and all that) - so I'm trying to finish taxes (ugh) and clean up the disaster area (house).
    Divorce papers were signed wednesday, and i'm starting packing this weekend.
    Thinking about absolut :0)
    Anybody out there???

Julia

• Related Discussions

Looking for 5 new ws'ers! :)

Q

Comments (43)
    Neil,I have no idea what it will do in z-5. I was surprised it was a perennial here,being the packet and other sources I seen said it was an annual! To be safe sow it as an annual,I did last year, and had blooms all summer long on it. It is a really good grower and seems to be pretty tolerant. I had clumps out back on the south facing hill,along the side of my house that has late day part sun,and out front under the blue spruce,also part sun. The ones out back getting the southern light did the best,although the other clumps were not too shabby!;) I thought this was going to be a delicate plant,it is by no means delicate,it just looks and smells that way!;) Just remember when in doubt,hold back a bit of seed. Those seeds go along way,and you know where you can find more if you forget!:) Carrie! You are so welcome!:)
    ...See More

What are your plans for the big warm up?

Q

Comments (20)
    Dan, I appreciate the information. I probably didn't make myself clear. For the greenhouse I'm using galvanized pipe. It is 1 5/8" heavy commercial grade galvanized pipe used for chain link fences. We used a hydraulic conduit bender to bend the top sections. Made a gothic style. I do some electrical work so either have or have access to all the tools and equipment I need. I try to do things as cheap as possible. I will take some pictures as I construct it and try to post them later. So the plastic for that will go over galvanized pipe. It will be stronger than most commercial houses. I want the frame to last my lifetime. For the temporary row covers I prefer pvc or poly pipe as it is easier and quicker to set up and take down and store. And cheaper for me to buy.Also can change widths easier. For most I will use the cheaper plastic I can get locally. Save shipping costs. For the main garden I'm thinking of trying the slitted row cover. I like Johnny's site as they have lots of good information. There are several more good sources of information out there. Territorial Seeds have some good information also. They just cut their pvc or poly pipes at an angle and stick in the ground. Location and how long you intend to have it up makes a lot of difference in what choice you make. I liked the EMT cover in the link you provided for a more permanent structure. I've seen some that use the galvanized cattle panels. I have a coworker who made a hoop house out of large poly pipe and it has worked well. There are many options. I try to use what I have or can find the cheapest. And forums have lots of great information and ideas that help each of us. Jay Here is a link that might be useful: Territorial Seeds
    ...See More

About the Design Around This threads

Q

Comments (28)
    I wanted to thank all who were involved in the DAT threads and especially Marcolo. I am planning on building a home from a kit home plan in a few years. One I love is a 1924 William Radford bungalow, but we will probably end up with a story and a half bungalow to get a few more bedrooms. I have been researching these old plans like crazy, and they are amazing. I have found a couple with a more 'modern' layout. When I say modern the kitchen only has two doorways (from DR and outside) instead of the four or five I sometimes see here. Marcolo said something in the Victorian DAT thread and again to Lavender_Lass which is where I originally saw it and then linked back. I was trying to figure out how 'authentic' I should go with the house. That comment was (I am paraphrasing) "I like the idea of seeing a vintage kitchen developing over time. It should represent every decade that it has passed." It made complete sense to me, and it is exactly what I want. I love history (I have an MLS and was waiting for a permenant position at the National Archives when the crappy economy hit, and I decided to be a SAHM). Marcolo had also said (and I do believe this was from the DAT threads as well) "Do not just assume the trends and materials used at the time. Actually do the research for yourself." I know it seems obvious now, and especially since I'm still a professional researcher. It took reading that however to think about our next home in a completely different way. I am now creating a back story for our yet to be built home to create a sense of history and to help determine the finishes. Every detail will be planned before we build because everything will be a piece of a puzzle. I hope to share the back story as well as the home when we are able to build. I do hope more people read the DAT threads because they are awesome. I learned a lot and have saved all of them for reference. I came late to GW to participate in those the first time around, but the collective knowledge and creativity in those threads are amazing. Thank you again everyone for putting in some extra time for those exercises. I have learned a great deal.
    ...See More

What a sad, sad day, (part 3)

Q

Comments (134)
    Thank you oakley...you said it better than I . I am a believer in people . I have had two brothers commit suicide and a son that has struggled with mental illness for decades. Deciding to write a person off because they have performed in a way that is abhorrent to the rest of us is a knee jerk reaction. It has taken me decades to realize that someone else's pain can be and likely is greater than mine. I will never know what moves them to the actions they commit . My DH and I get up every single day and say thank you for the life we have. I would hope that others would do the same. Energy spent reviling those that are "different" is wasted. Take care of the circle of light that surrounds you that is ALL that any of us can do. If we each do this the circles will grow to include all. c
    ...See More
  • Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ah the end of another work week....took the day off yesterday to heal a back injury....much better today and we finally have rain....going to have a bite to eat and relax...I'll maybe make it back on the rant thread tonight after a shot or two of Absolut.....good luck on your new adventure, fishead...It's not going to be as tough as you think and feel free to ask questions and rant whenever things seem like they aren't going the way they should....a lot of experience resides on this board.

• jessiecarole
    20 years ago

It is snowing!!!!!

Come and rant tinman. You can't just leave us hanging.

hope your back is better.

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

The back is almost 100% now, jc...thanks for asking.....as far as the rant, I wasn't able to get back Friday night to do that one...heh....the weekend brought the opportunity for a few more....now all I need is an evening where I don't have to work the next day to sip some and vent some....didn't mean to leave ya hanging. BTW, we had 3 inches of snow on Sunday night....was quite a shock to wake up to that yesterday morning.

• chargreen
    20 years ago

I just got home from taking myself out for my birthday. I did have two young guys with me (my boys). I had to call the sheriff on one of my neighbors before I could go out tonight. (Long Story) There has been way too much excitement in my life lately. The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy visited my house on the same day. I spent part of the weekend with my ex-inlaws. It's surreal listening to my ex mother in law rant about her son's bad behavior.

jessiecarole, you've got snow? On Saturday it took me three hours to drive 100 miles because of the hard rain and then the hail. We missed going through the hail but the fields we passed were covered solid.

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Happy Birthday Char!!...I am terrible about looking at the birthday page....going to have to get better at doing that.

• jessiecarole
    20 years ago

Glad you had a nice birthday, Charlotte. Yes, we had snow in Tennessee yesterday and sunshine and 60's today. I do not remember snow in April before yesterday. We had a big wet snow in March years ago and I thought that was amazing.

~laughing~ Tinman! you just solved a mystery for me. I did not know about the birthday page.

• chargreen
    20 years ago

Thanks for the birthday greetings! I'm now 45 and blessed to be healthy and mostly happy. Yesterday was one of those one thing after another days. Today is a beautiful sunny day I can't wait to get off work and get home to my flowers.

jessiecarole, if you list your birthday on your member page Spike will send you an email birthday greeting from the Gardenweb. That's when you know you are really single when you get excited about an email greeting from Spike ;0)

• walksalone
    20 years ago

TGIF!!! Anybody else?

Just finished yard work. My eyes are killing me from the dust I kicked up. It was a gorgeous day. Just dang the weathermen and their predictions, otherwise I would have taken off all day.

Going to treat myself, to a cheeseburger and fries. Only do this a couple of times a year. And to top it off a glass of wine!

Pulling weeds tomorrow out of flower beds. Some are as tall as me. I did not know they grew during the winter?

See ya later...

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

By all means TGif here.....I was beginning to wonder where you were Walks....thought I was going to have to email you to see if you were still alive...heh.....Beautiful day here today, 92 degrees.....Snow last week and now this...welcome to life on the high plains....I didn't go out for cheeseburger and fries but I did fire up the grill and do burgers and potatoes on there...picked out a nice roast at the store and bulk hamburger for a big meatloaf....this is going to be a cooking weekend for the tinman...hope everyone has a great weekend.

• chargreen
    20 years ago

A big TGIF here. It's been a long week. I had to work late today and missed my evening garden walk with the dog. Hopefully I can get some gardening done this weekend.

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Taking a break from yardwork myself....been out mulching the yard (mowing) and going to relax for a few minutes...it was 85 by noon here....I'm going to water the trees and pitch some horseshoes this afternoon...rattling the windows with rock and roll while I do, is a given....hope everyone is having a relaxing weekend. The roast will be done around 6, so stop by and grab a plate. :)

• walksalone
    20 years ago

You didnt gve the directions for the recipe or your house. A roast? You are going to make me go to the store. I make a stuffed or rolled meatloaf...with spinach, celery, onions, olives, garlic, tomatoe. We will compare later!

• chargreen
    20 years ago

Roast or Meatloaf, sounds good. It's 9:00 p.m. and I just came in from watering my plants. Got a late start in the yard after picking up and dropping off kids most of the day.
    Tinman so you are the reason the other thread page is so wide?
    I thought my computer was sick! I can totally identify with your rant last night. My ex's family is full of losers and deadbeats. I don't miss dealing with them a bit. My family is just one of those that stands on their own two feet and only ask for help when really desparate. We also are all used to living on a tight budget and watching every penny spent. I overheard my teenager tell his girlfriend about getting a cd on sale and bragging about the money he saved. It gave me a giggle, bargain hunting is in our blood.

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Roast last night, meatloaf today Char.....I usually cook like a fiend on the weekends and do leftovers during the week...makes for good meals and saves money from eating out.
    Yeah, I'm the one that screwed up that thread with my extra long grrr, but damn.. it felt good holding down that "r" key for a couple lines...heh
    Next time I do a feast on the grill, I'll email out directions on how to get here Walks
    As far as recipes I don't get too fancy....for the roast I melt butter with red and white pepper,oregano and salt and inject with meat syringe, baste with olive oil and cook slooooow....my meatloaf is pretty simplistic compared to yours....I just use hamburger, a pack of liptons onion mushroom soup, olive oil,bread and a few spices topped with spiced tomato sauce....mmmm, meatloaf sandwichs for lunch tomorrow...drooling already :)

• walksalone
    20 years ago

I am going to try your recipe, Tinmantu, for the meatloaf. I went to the store and forgot the spinach.

My electricity went out about 1:00 till now because of the high winds. Whats a woman to do? But go shop!

My bi-annual shopping spree. I am sooo loving it. Spring and summer, I am ready to go. I forgot to spruce up the casual side, oh well, the next electric outage. I am glad I hate to shop or I would be bankrupt!

Now I need a manicure, shoes, and purse. Damn, its high maintenance to be a woman!

And would someone come re-attach the garage door to the tract?

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

oops, don't forget to throw a couple eggs in that recipe Walks.....the winds been blowing like crazy here today too....50 mph gusts.........I'd fix the garage door but you didn't give directions on how to get there ;)

• walksalone
    20 years ago

Two eggs in the mix with onion soup mix. Does that sound right.

I have to pull out the car out of the garage. The door has to be up, to re-attach to the drive chain. Get out a chair, and then the muscle takes effect to hook it back to the drive chain! Hold it open and slide and capture. Going to do it now, otherwise my work dress clothes will show, I tangled with....

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Yeah depending on how big of a meatloaf you make 2 eggs...mine was almost 3 lbs....you need the eggs and bread as a "binder"....by using them you will never have a crumbly meatloaf....it will slice just like a steak... p.s. this same recipe also makes killer hamburgers on the grill.

• fishead
    20 years ago

Hey folks! Back from Ohio, may have found a house, may have found a job!
    I actually have to drive back on Sat. to "interview", but I'm sooooo excited, to have something to look forward to and to think that the future is not as bleak as I thought.
    I almost want to stop thinking about it, in case it falls through -you know how you don't want to jinx it by having to many positive thoughts about it? I do that anyway - don't want to be too happy in case it falls through. Is that pretty common?
    So relaxing at home, with a cocktail, anxiosly awaiting saturday!!!!!
    Fish

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Good luck on the house and the job Fish!!.....and yes it's common to take that stance.....getting your hopes up and it not working out only brings disappointment but being realistic and realizing it's not a done deal until it's done softens the blow.....still a downer, but not as harsh.

• walksalone
    20 years ago

Got Tornadoes??? I am so tired of hearing the sirens every evening. Makes for great sleep. And the petty part. My favorite TV nite, Survivor. Will not be shown until 1:30 AM. Will try the VCR, but the antenae is crap.

During June or July, a severe T=storm, it is very hard to get info. This time of year, they really play it up.

I guess I will be back for Friday rants!

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I was wondering if you were getting that nasty weather that is to the southeast of me, Walks....I'm sure my nights of being awakend with sirens in the middle of the night are a couple weeks away....stay safe and I hope you have a storm shelter nearby to get to......I about ranted myself out last week but who knows what I can come up with after a shot of Absolut.. :)

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

A paid day at home today.....a rainy day in the neighborhood....finally.....no indoor work to do...could be worse....at least it's rain and not that white s###...hope everyone is having a good TGIF

• walksalone
    20 years ago

Checking in early, I know I am going to fade fast.

Rain, rain, rain. Now I will get to hear the flash flood warning sirens. I dont know what to do about them. I live in a valley, like I will get in my car and go thru flooded areas to higher ground? Stand on the roof. Too late for sandbags. If you hear of a woman hanging from the ceiling fans with her cats, its me!

I had a rough start this week. My car battery died. Thankfully, at home in the garage. I called a wrecker service, No triple AAA, to jump it. My neighbors, who are single women or moms, would not have been any help, or had already left for work. Had the greatest guy in the world. He backed my car to his truck blocking my drive so the cords would reach. Once the car was started, he waited until I went in the house and closed it, while my car was running in the drive and followed me to W-Mart. He was soooo afraid it would quit. I have to send a note to the company and a tip.

I called in work and my boss is out of town. Had to leave a message for a person not in my direct dept. He is sooo sweet and offered to come help. I do know this about him, but prefer to take care of it myself. Yes, it costs more. Anyone else? I save these favors... Though, he played a joke on me, pretends to be my boss and calls me back, and asks me where am I? Paybacks....

I have had wonderful breakfast burritos and sandwhiches all week. Thanks to Tinmantu and his meatloaf recipe. I havent been to the store this week and am not reading until I do.

Should we start a TGIF thread every Friday? It doesn't have to be a rant, LOL. Would it bring more of the new people in? It would just be an extension of this. If it would bring others to participate. Any ideas?

• fishead
    20 years ago

Walks-
    bummer about the battery- I mean, is there a way to know that it's about to die? In my experience, it just happens, usually it happens to me in the grocery parking lot, or somewhere away from home. If I had been you, I would have called in sick to work, espescially if the boss was gone!!!
    I'm headed back to Ohio tomorrow, see what happens with that.
    I was thinking about this week, and the most fun that I had, or at least the most enjoyable moment - and i think it would have to have been the long hike I took Sunday, felt good to sweat out all that winter toxin, ya know?
    This house is a disaster area, and I really do NOT want to clean, I mean it is a mess.
    having a cocktail....
    Fish

• walksalone
    20 years ago

Yes, fishead, its time for a cocktail, or for me a glass of wine or whine....What is that dial on the dash for, the measure of the battery? Only when it is dead, DEAD, upon starting, DUH, like I did not KNOW?

Wishing you a great weekend!

• walksalone
    20 years ago

Did we all get Spring fever, or what?

Hello! (((((echo)))) as she talks to herself. New name!

I read something on the Garden Web side. On the Suggestions and Comments forum. They are asking for a Single's Gardening forum. Go read and see what you think. How to invite them over here? Could reply to the thread, but many never go back and look. There was some interest. Would it be too off topic for here? I love gardening and flowers and yard. I would respond to any subjects on it.

Should we all go over and respond. I just cant see an email....or would you to invite them here?

• chargreen
    20 years ago

WalksAlone and TalkstoHerself sounds scary! I've just been to my first plant swap this past weekend and I've got so many new plants. Maybe inviting other singles here might be a good idea. I don't know how many single forums Spike might want. Some people think being single is something they might "catch" if they hang around with singles. Does anyone else feel that way? I think any topic we singles decide to talk about is good. I can think of a few threads to start with gardening topics that would at least be interesting for others to read if they aren't into gardening that much. Thanks for the info Walks.

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Relaxing today.....was going to get out and kill some weeds but it's just a bit chilly and plenty of stuff to do indoors, as I have been working out of town a good part of the week...not bad enough to bring out a rant, but an anniversary of my murdered cousin (who was like a sister to me) almost got me started last night..I almost posted the Kansas Dept. of Corrections website where it showed his picture and what city he lives in (released after serving only 18 years)35 miles from me...grrrrrrr...vetoed it and watched a movie instead....tomorrow the weeds die!!....I'll live to rant another day, or I might take a 35 mile drive...heh

• walksalone
    19 years ago

Glad to see you back Tinmantu. Sorry to hear of your cousin and her tragic death. It never makes sense, especially the punishment.

I am still nursing a pulled back muscle, and it is a beautiful day out that I am going to miss. Sigh... More heat, ice, and ibuprofen for me.

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I appreciate the sentiments Walks.....a pretty touchy subject with me....Her husband took her to dinner, killed her and left her in a road ditch and drove straight to her folks house to wonder where she was, in order to setup his alibi...Over the years, I had dined and drank with both of them and I thought he was a decent guy...he had everybody fooled.

I hope your back is better today!

• walksalone
    19 years ago

Ahhhhh, three days of nothing is good for my back, not for me. I really would have loved muscle relaxers. I dont have a "regular" doctor, so if so inclined I will go to a walk in clinic, where I am treated like a drug addict needing a fix. Since I am usually not sick, I don't know what to do. I have survived.

And now, I forgot what I wanted to say. LOL.

I have read that we are seen as "gloomy?"

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    19 years ago

LOL....I would like us to be looked at as more "skeptical" than gloomy....this isn't the Kitchen Table where I am going to get on and tell everyone that I had a great bowel movement this morning...no one here is going to be chastised for talking about whatever they want, but I get an impresssion that the ones who do show up, are looking for answers on how to cope. If some of our answers are to not run out and jump into the first relationship that comes along is considered gloom, then I am the gloomiest MF'er on the planet...sobeit

• walksalone
    19 years ago

LOL, Timmantu, tell us how you really feel!

Don't blame the KT for this. It was another forum. I just thought it was interesting to see how this forum is perceived. Another strike, is the PAID membership. This is not a first, there has been two forums, they got too rowdy and were deleted.

After a week, my back is better. I can mow the yard. Is that a "YES". Oh well.

I cleaned my A/C unit, it does not look like I need freon, due to my rusty coils I was told and I cannot see.

Wishing all a great weekend, and for those who are, a wonderful Mother's Day.

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    19 years ago

heh....well nothing personal against anyone at the KT....if I ruffled anyones feathers I apologize....I think the paid part is necessary for this forum to keep as cleaned up as it does, myself......if it were open who knows what kind of garbage may come rolling in......I'd like it to be a bit more active, but on the other hand I would rather see it slow than to see spammers. I never regret spending the membership cost...I've met some great people here.

• berain
    19 years ago

Tinmantu and others...

Funny Tinmantu how the first post I read is about the KT and membership... I have been only lurking again for quite some time. After much deliberation, I renewed my membership. Since then, I have been tossing and turning around it's value. I have "met" some nice people here and at the KT, but lately I am hardly posting there at all.

I can remember The Single Life a long time ago. Yes, some feathers were ruffled, but I did find the topics interesting and looked forward to checking in often. Then one day it disappeared. I fully understand Spike's decision, and was delighted at it's return.

But to be totally honest, between the "slowness" of this forum and the seemingly huge population of the KT, I just lurk. Some of my recent posts at the KT have gone virtually unnoticed.

Just my humble opinion...

And yes, I'm back... so to speak.

Barbara_Tampa

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm glad that you are back Barbara....I wss wondering how you were doing......my banal (ok, my azzhole remark) had more to do with that we already had a kitchen table to talk about our bowel movements (oops, there I go again)....some people like to talk about how their kitty finally learned to use a cat box and that's fine.....I'm sure that is why the KT is such a popular thread....but it's also too cliquish for me... I posted there a couple of times and nary a response.

As far as TSL goes, I'll continue to be the mildly abrasive towards life person that I am, rant now and then and be there to cheer someone up who is having a bad day, until someone starts a thread to vote me off the island...if the majority think I am a negative influence, I'll begone.
    I hope you stick around, as I always enjoy your posts....(and still want to see that red headed lady in that dress)

• chargreen
    19 years ago

Good to see you post again Barbara. I've been lurking some lately myself. Been too busy to find time to post. I also was the target of a rant in the form of an unsigned note from a neighbor I have never met and I've been a little freaked out. Today was a great day. Finally the sun was shining. I went to a plant sale with my kids and stopped at a Thai restaurant to eat lunch. My fortune cookie said "Your love of gardening will take on new meaning in your life." The boys and I had a big laugh over that one as I seem to be spending every spare minute in the yard lately. I spent the rest of the day until dark digging and planting. Tired and dirty now but it was a nice day for yard work. The last few weekends we have had rain. Tinman I might need your advice on how to handle my ranting neighbor but for now I'm going to enjoy the rest of the weekend. I hope everyone else is having a great weekend too!

Charlotte

• jessiecarole
    19 years ago

Hello everyone.

Here's my take on the slowness of this forum. Its not like the cooking or other hobby/interest forums where you go in with something in common. Being single is not the driving force in my life. There is only so much to say on the subject. Add to that the fact that people at different stages of single life have different views/opinions/interests on almost any subject. It is similar to people thinking that an elderly person will be less lonely in a nursing or retirement home. Just being old (or single) doesn't mean you have anything else in common.

I do enjoy this forum and the friendships I see developing here. I think adding the single gardeners, as someone else suggested, would be a good thing ~laughing~ but that may be because I love my garden. Others here may not feel the same if we start talking gardening. Do singles garden any different than anyone else? I doubt it.

But, oh my, I did want to ask you how often you change the cat litter, Tinman, and I will gladly advise you on the other problem...er, issue. Maybe a bran muffin recipe in the cooking for one thread? ;-)

Happy weekend everyone. This is my first weekend off since last July. Hope everyone is having weather as beautiful as mine.

I love fortune cookies, char. Yours was a keeper. I would also be freaked by the situation you mentioned. Tell us more.

Glad to see you here, Walks and Barbara

best to all

jc

• walksalone
    19 years ago

So glad to see you, JC, Barbara, Chargreen, and Tinmantu.

Barbara, how did the conference go? The new dress and the party?

JC, as always, I love your perspective. Yes, I see a difference between newly single and those that are "confirmed" single. I hope we help all to be comfortable with both.

Chargreen, I am waiting for some vacation days to get out and play in the dirt. Right now, I only have time to pull weeds and mow. I want to dig and plant.

I may come home from my mother's with a dog. My sister is going thru a divorce. She has a five month old german sheperd, which she cannot keep. Sigh.

I did want a dog since the break=in. But conceeded I dont have a secure enough fence. Two sides are only four foot picket. Deteriotaring, falling down, and propped up. I have a screened in back porch. It wont keep in a dog determined to get something on the outside.

I told my sister, I would be last resort. If she could not find anyone, I would take her till she could find a suitable home. Why do I feel so bad?

I grew up around German Shepherds. My family breed and showed them. I was a handler. The one dog we had and I handled was Best of Show in Dallas, Tx.

Since leaving home, I had two minature Schnauzers. Wonderful dogs.

I have two cats, indoor only. The screened in porch is their taste of outside. I don't know how to incorporate the dog and the cats. Maybe since the dog is young. I have posted this question before on the Pet's forum.

So, it is my release. I dont know what to do. I sooo want to help and I feel sooooooo guilty.

• chargreen
    19 years ago

For Mother's day I got seven baby chicks! O.K. I already had the hen who had been hiding her nest in the back of the yard. But she decided Mother's day would be a good day to show off her new chicks. I have two other hens that are nesting in my big rosemary bush, they have about another week or so before more chicks arrive. I've never had chickens until last fall and it seems I will soon have alot of chickens!
    Walks, I wish there was some way to know how cats and dogs will react to each other in a new situation. I know lots of people have cats and dogs in the same house I just never knew how they get them used to each other. I just have a dog, no cats. I do know that having my German Shepherd in the house at night helps me feel more secure than I have ever been. I got her for my boys last Mother's Day but she is my protector and their playmate now. I do have to keep her on a lead outside during the day because she sails over the four foot fence like a gazelle. I have one of those chain link dog kennels but it seems so small that I only keep her in it when I'm working outside near it. The dog is spoiled way more than my kids are!

• jessiecarole
    19 years ago

I would love to have chickens.

Char, I have to ask about your rosemary bush. Is this like the herb and where do you live that it grows into a bush? I can't even keep it alive in a pot.

Walks, it is a hard call about the pup. I don't think I would want a dog without a fenced yard and a dog door, but that probably wouldn't work with indoor cats, and the dog door for a shepherd might be a security risk. On the other hand, I can see how it would be hard to say no under the circumstances. I am not much help. I love my dogs but if I have another when these are gone, it will be a small dog who can travel with me.

It has been a strange day and now I can't sleep. I am helping someone who is getting a series of cortisone injections in the spine on Thursday for a disc problem. Has anyone had this procedure done? I am hoping he gets some immediate relief which will be a relief to both of us ;-p

off to clean a little since I cannot settle

jc

• walksalone
    19 years ago

My apologies to all. Last Sunday was a high pressure tactic from my sister to take the dog.

She was at my mother's, knowing I was going to be there. The dog was there. The dog is a beautiful, loving pup. Around my mother's cats, yes it was fine. My mother's cats are used to being around dogs. My mother's cats stand their ground, and swat with fully sheathed paws. My cats would act like prey and run.

I told my sister NO. She was mad.

In the end, the dog went to one of my nieces, and her live-in LOVES the dog. So, in the end, I hope my gut was right. I came home feeling so pressured and soooo angry. Another story why my sister had this dog, while my mother has two of her castaways.

Again, I apologize.

• chargreen
    19 years ago

Walks, sounds like you need to bring up the Friday night rant thread... I'm sorry your sister did that to you, I hope it's a long time before she gets another pet she can't take care of. I don't know what you need to apologize for. You seem to be doing your best to do what's right for the pets and people even if your sister doesn't see it that way. I hope you have something fun and relaxing planned for this weekend!

Charlotte

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    19 years ago

No apologies necessary Walks....we all have bad days....dealing with family stuff is always so stressful...cheer up...at least your ex from hell isn't moving back to the same little town that you live in and have to face every day like mine appears to be....heh....doing absolut tonight but no rants, I promise.

• walksalone
    19 years ago

Thanks all. I will leave it, as Tinmantu knows.

It is hard for me because I am a responsible pet owner. On top of that I want to help my family. Last weekend, I felt railroaded into a quick decision. And did not let it happen, even with a pet involved. I was .... well, I will just let it go.

Tinanntu, I live in the same city with both exes, only one run in. I can't imagine, in a small town? Please come back and tell us, if you want.

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Small towns and divorce are just something that one has to deal with, Walks....dealing with the ex because of the child is one thing, but to have to run into them in the stores, pass them on the street and force a wave on an almost daily basis is something that city people can't fathom...not sure if it's happening again for sure, but from what I am hearing, it is....her leaving and coming back is getting almost as droll and predictable as the old Star Trek movies....this is Return of the Spook (er spock) part IV

• walksalone
    19 years ago

Is it too early to celebrate TGIF? I cannot wait. Tommorow, I turn in a project that has been h@ll, and I am taking next week off! Nine days without an alarm clock. Except, for the cats, of course, who KNOW the time. It's six o'clock, get up and feed me.

The project list is out the gazzoooo. Is that a word? Yard, weeds, kill weeds, grass, dig, divide, pull. House,and clean, should not be in the same sentence. Bids, new AC, gutters, garage door. Got money?

Because I am taking a week off, people assume I am going somewhere. Not just spending time enjoying? or working at home. I get asked where I am going.

There was one time I was single in an apartment, no animals, it was easy to leave for the weekend and go to the lake for the weekend, or even take a trip.

Since I have bought this house and now have animals, I cannot.

Do you take "real" vacations every year?

Sponsored