SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

What color shingles for new roof?

equest17
14 years ago

We've had three hailstorms in the last month or two, so insurance is paying for a new roof. We really needed one anyway, so this is quite a blessing. Since the opportunity has presented itself, I'm not sure if I should go with the same shingle color or something different. I like the body color of the house, but I've never cared for the taupey-gray trim. I would love to have just the trim repainted someday, but I don't really know if that will ever happen, or what trim color I would use anyway.

So, given that, what do you recommend for the shingle color? These are old listing photos, so there are quite a few pine needles on the roof obscuring the shingles, but the color is pretty accurate in the first and last photo, kind of a grayish brown. Should I stick with the same? Would a different color work better? Any suggestions for trim color would be great, too.

Comments (39)

• User
    14 years ago

Not sure what color, but if it were our roof I'd seriously think of looking into a metal roof. Check link below. Wish we could have done this, but our roof was damaged during construction and metal is a bit more expensive. Just not in the budget at the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: metal roof tips

• awm03
    14 years ago

Metal is waaaay more expensive. And maybe not a good idea if you live in an area prone to hail.

• Related Discussions

got bids for new roof....either shingle or metal..need to add ins

Q

Comments (1)
    My best suggestion is that you figure out your priorities. You may want great insulation and a durable roof that looks good, and you may want it all for cheap. You probably won't get all of this. If you don't prioritize then you won't know where to compromise, and you'll keep going in circles. Also, try and find a professional to work with who actually understands the way your roof is supposed to work, or else you'll just be throwing money away. For example, if your roof is ventilated then any insulation you put on top of the existing sheathing will be pretty much useless. You probably need a smart general contractor, not a roofing company.
    ...See More

One Layer Roof: add the new shingles directly on top or else?

Q

Comments (5)
    " For repairs, is the layer underneath the shingles needed to be taken out/changed/replaced in order to repair." Simply put: NO. You do not need to remove underlying shingle layers in order to repair a roof. But I think you are missing some of the fine points that exist between these two estimate. First, one can typically 'cover over' a roof with existing shingles with only 1 additional 'covered over' layer. Almost every shingle manufacturer permits this practice and will warrant the practice. Second, you do not normally need to remove any 'underlying' shingle layers in order to 'repair' shingles. But this method can leave you with unmatched colored shingles since new shingles will normally never match old shingles. So you end up with a roof that doesn't leak, but a roof that looks like crap. Bottom Line: You are probably better off covering the entire roof with new shingles if the insurance company will pay for it.
    ...See More

Getting a new roof, what color is best for new shingles and gutters?

Q

Comments (9)
    A charcoal roof is definitely a great idea. It will look fantastic with the brick. For the gutters, fascia, and trim, you've got a few options—depending on what appeals to you most. White/off white would be the most traditional for gutters, trim and fascia. Using a gray, everywhere, like the gray on the windows of your front porch, will give everything a more updated and sleek look. Or, you could do your gutters and fascia one color, and do all your window trim in black or another color. I would recommend repainting your fascia to match whatever color gutters you choose (and I'd use the same color for the downspout). And I'd also recommend painting all your window trim the same color. I personally really like the gray trim with the black you've got going on with the front porch windows. I'd carry that look to all the other windows on the house. Here's a little sampling of each of those looks, plus a color combination or two you may not have considered. Super cute house, and you've got a great garden! Good luck! Traditional More modern other color combos
    ...See More

Help.. I don't know what color of shingles to replace my roof with.

Q

Comments (5)
    Do you not like the current color? Are you planning on painting the house or trim at some point? If you like it, I say go with the current color, if possible.
    ...See More
  • oceanna
    14 years ago

I like the color it is -- it goes well with your brick. I put on a very dark, almost black roof once. That was a HUGE mistake. The house turned into a crematorium in the summer! Oops. So don't go with anything dark.

You sure are surrounded by trees. Do you quake in your boots or go stay in a hotel during a wind storm? Around here people try to keep their distance from trees. I had a double-trunker about 125' go over in my back yard a couple of years ago. I was very lucky it fell away from the house instead of on it.

• postum
    14 years ago

OOh, pretty house! It's unusual to see a Tudor that is not dark brown/white (at least where I live.)

I like brown for the roof but I would go a shade darker - similar to the color of the bark in the trees in front. I just think it would look more pulled together somehow.

This is one of those cases where photoshop would come in really handy...

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

I'd go for a medium brown or a charcoal gray for the roof. A nice white for the trim.

• powermuffin
    14 years ago

Your house is so pretty as is the setting. I would either go with the color you have or slightly darker, but still in the woodsy color. Lucky you, we need a new roof too.
    Diane

• equest17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. Our first house was an historic bungalow and I never thought I would like a subdivision, but this street was so charming and diverse and all the houses are different. There are a ton of trees, but it keeps it cool in the summer. The trees are all really tall pines with relatively small limbs, so other than picking up tons of pinecones, bark, and sticks, we haven't had any limbs or trees down from the hail, wind, torrential rain, and nearby tornadoes. But it is our first year here ;-)

I thought about a metal roof since we have so many pine needles, but insurance is only paying for 3 tab shingles. And we do get a lot of hail in this area, which if it dents metal roofs like it does our cars, wouldn't look so pretty.

I'll check out the shingle samples from the roofing company. I think there are several choices similar to the current roof with some shade variations. I was thinking of going a little darker, so I'm glad people suggested that.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

I lover your home. The pines look like loblolly pines. You don't happened to live in or near Anderson, SC, do you? My parents and sister just had their roofs replaced because of the hail damage from last month. Insurance is practically paying for the whole neighborhood to be re-roofed!

• jene
    14 years ago

Beautiful house! I would agree with almost everyone. The brown shades blend well with your brick, but I think I would like just a bit darker, also. The trim could be changed to a bit more on the brown side, but what you have is not unattractive and seems to blend pretty well.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

In the photo, the trim looks like a mossy green to me, rather than a gray/taupe. A mossy green is very pretty with your siding color. I'd also go darker on the roof, more of a woodsy brown.

Very charming home with great details!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Here's the slideshow. Might be easier to view and compare the different colors

Here is a link that might be useful: Roof Color Slideshow

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Beautiful virtuals. I prefer the Light Brown or Russet Brown. Light Brown would be my first choice. Can you show that in an architectural shingle, FC?

• equest17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the Photoshop help! That will really assist my DH, as he is a very visual person.

I definitely like the darker browns, and I like the idea of going more brown with a future trim color, too. The shingles my contractor recommends is CertainTeed, and they have three brown shades I'm considering. They are Cedar Brown, Oakwood, or Heather Blend. The last one seems very popular and I can find lots of Google images of it but only a few of the others. But the photos of various houses, even with the exact same shingles, seem so different. I guess it's like seeing someone's paint color here and not having it work the same in real life. I'll see if I can get up on the roof and compare the new samples with the existing roof to see how they are different.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

For you squirrel, of course. :) I added charcoal and black in addition to a light brown architectural. Course an archtiectural shingle is liable to have more dimension as well as more color(s).

Charcoal

Black

Light Brown Architectural

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I definitely like the darker browns, and I like the idea of going more brown with a future trim color, too

equest, I like the darker brown too. If you can upgrade to an architectural shingle, that'd be ideal. Altho I know that insurance usually only replaces like for like kinda thing.

If you go darker brown on the roof, I wouldn't go dark brown on the tudor trim. I can't tell what color is on the house body currently. I think I'm reading you're keeping that. From what it looks like on my monitor, I'd opt for a dark-ish golden bronze color for the trim like BenM's Jamesboro Gold. It'd be neither *from* the body color nor *from* the roof, but I'm thinkin' it would be wicked-fine color harmony.

If I get time later on tonight, I'll see if I can make you one of those. ;-) Let me know the name of the body color if you get a chance...

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Thank you : ) I like the architectural's texture on her house.

• equest17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The architectural shingles do look great; I'll ask the contractor how much more for that roofing material.

We bought the house last year already painted, so I'm not sure on the body color. It's actually a textured pebbly surface, not siding or stucco. I can't get close enough to find a similar paint chip, but it's a sandy color; the photo is pretty accurate.

Jamesboro Gold sounds lovely on the trim. I actually have a sample quart of it that I tried in the foyer. If you can photoshop that trim in, that would be great.

From the Photoshop images, I think the Russett Brown, Light Brown, and Golden Brown roofs seem similar to the Cedar Brown and Heather Blend shingles the company offers. The Dark Brown and Dark Russet might be similar to the Oakwood shingles.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

I liked the dark russet the best and the greys the least.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I like the value of the Dark Russet but think it's too orange. I like the tone of the Dark Brown but feel it's too dark (heavy) for the house. Maybe that type of dark brown but a bit lighter.

• zipdee
    14 years ago

The light brown, then dark brown are my favorites .. Beautiful home!

• equest17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, insurance is also paying for new gutters, which are currently painted the color of the trim. Since the contractor is going to paint and install gutters anyway, maybe now is the time to repaint the trim after all! Besides Jamesboro Gold, does anyone have any suggestions? And Funcolors, if you get a chance, I would so appreciate a photoshop trim job. It would give me more sway with my DH ;-)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I think a mossy green, same value as what's there is pretty.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Workin' on it. Gotta get dinner on and clean up. I'll have a pic here eventually.

Great news about the gutters and painting! It's so nice and exciting to get an exterior refresh.

I have a thing about the new twists on the old style of tudor trim. I think a tudor should have a dark - dark-ish roof and I don't like to get too cute with the body color and the trim color. Doesn't have to be white body/brown trim - not at all. But at the same time I think it needs to make proper sense in the terms of tudor just with an updated eye/hand.

Too funny you have a jamesboro chip. :~D If you had to guess, do you think you could approximate what the body color is close to paint chip-wise? If not, it's not a big deal. It's just that virtual color becomes that much more abstract and it's nice to work from some color certainties if at all possible.

I'll get some options together.

• snagd
    14 years ago

I too love the style and setting of your home! If you can, definetly go with the dimensional shingle. It's worth the extra expense. I like the dark brown ,but most of them look great I think.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I like the darker brown roof - stay with a neutral color then you can change the trim color if you want in the future.

Light Brown is nice. We had hail damage and got a new roof from the insurance claim too. We paid the extra amount out of pocket for the architectural shingles. I think it was 10% more for the architectural style, but it makes a huge difference in the curb appeal.

• equest17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since I'm in the south (Alabama), the contractor recommended against a dark roof because of the sun absorption and heat increase. But I also have tons of shade, so he said it wouldn't make as much difference. He also felt whatever color I used would look darker on my house than on most because of the shaded lot; does anyone have any experience with either of those observations?

Funcolors, I'm a horrible paint color guesser, and being that the house is all brick down below, I've never even gotten very close to the upper body paint color. Just looking at spare chips I have lying around, I'll take a stab in the dark and say it looks close to SW Ivorie or BM Monroe Bisque or Dunmore Cream. I'll see if my step ladder is tall enough to let me compare some paint chips tomorrow if you need more accuracy.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

That helped a lot. I do think Jamesboro or something like it would work for the trim. In comparison, the current color scheme looks a little anemic. (I mean that in the nicest way possible :) ) I didn't adjust anything (brightness, contrast, nothing) in the original photo. I just put a new roof on and painted the trim. The virtual colors are much richer and sophisticated, an updated way to approach tudor.

Darker colored roofs do collect more energy and therefore more heat. With proper insulation in the house, you have to wonder just how much of a difference it truly makes. I agree about the shade factor of your lot.

Jamesboro Trim

Current Colors

Here is a link that might be useful: Slideshow

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Here's a mossier green on the trim at the same value as the current color.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

ok, so the Jamesboro Gold is a mossy green color, also. I really like the woodsy greens with the house color. It fits nicely with the setting, as does an earthy roof. The darker JG carries better with the dark roof. Very nice!

• equest17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much! I love the Jamesboro with the dark roof. Is JG really that green? When I tried it in the foyer, it was a dark golden brown with a hint of green undertones, but I love how much the green comes out in the doctored photo. Being on the exterior might really bring those tones out more than my dark foyer did, anyway.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

What is a "Mossy Green" in real life? Getting everyone to agree on color descriptions in real life is tough. Trying to pigeon-hole or define color like that on a monitor is just plain insane. :~D It'll never happen.

Jamesboro Gold may very well be showing to you and on your monitor far more green than it is on mine. Monitors are like snowflakes. (I love that saying) They're all different and that fact among several other things makes how you see an emitted color (a.k.a. additive color, monitor color, screen color, electronic color) different than the way I and Squirrel may be seeing it.

So it's not possible for us to all see the same color monitor to monitor thru cyber world.

In real life we could discuss and compare and probably come to an agreement about Jamesboro Gold; plus context and light is everything. But this is the best us cyber buddies can do. Take our best shot with additive color and arm ourselves with paint chips.

If what you see on your monitor is the color you want, then you can go look for a paint chip that looks like what you are viewing in the virtual. It might be Jamesboro Gold, it might not.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

If what you see on your monitor is the color you want...

Exactly. There must be sooo many variations between what we think we are posting and what someone else is actually seeing.

To me, 'mossy' is kind of olive-y. I get a lot of green in the JG post above, also. The color chip in the deck looks like a dark gold rather than a green.

Try the JG to see what it does. You might also check out HC-110 Wethersfield Moss. It may be lighter than the JG. If too light, maybe something between HC-109 Sussex Green and the Wethersfield would give you what you're seeing.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Okay, I added a couple more Jamesboro Gold virtuals changing the color/value so it may read more gold instead of too green on some monitors.

If the body color is indeed close to Monroe Bisque or Dunsmore Cream, Jamesboro as the trim with a brown roof could be lovely. A gold with a strong green undertone is about as close to *green* as I'd go.
    JB II

JB III

Here is a link that might be useful: Updated Slideshow

• equest17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I got up on the ladder this morning, and what do you know. BM Dunmore Cream looks like an exact match to the body color! I can't believe I got that accurate with just some spare chips lying around and my guess from down on the ground. Maybe all this painting is really refining my color sense.

I think those last two photos are reading really close to the JG paint chip on my monitor. I really like the darker one; I think it's the lack of contrast that bothers me in the current trim, maybe not so much the color. I'll show my husband when he gets back from a business trip tonight and see what he thinks. With all the help from you wonderful GW'ers, I may be able to convince him it's worth it!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

when we had to get a new roof last year, I found that what worked best for me in the end was to figure out what shingles I wanted, i.e. what material/warranty etc., and *then* see what was available in that product line. Color shouldn't lead on something as functionally crucial as a roof, IMO.

We ended up with Malarkey Legacy because of their superior construction and warranty, and chose within what they offered. Going by mere weight and thickness is also deceptive, just so you know. So figure out what *kind* of roof first, before you choose color, is my recommendation.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

"The shingles my contractor recommends is CertainTeed, and they have three brown shades I'm considering. They are Cedar Brown, Oakwood, or Heather Blend.?

I think that info might have gotten lost in all the photos. :~D

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

AH--I just saw that you are only being paid for 3-tab shingles. You really might want to consider paying the upgrade to something else if you can, in terms of warranty. Expect that a warranty on most brands means that the roofing will last about half that long, I was told. We had to pay an upgrade too, but it was *really* worth it; we basically considered the insurance payment to be a credit towards what we chose, if that makes sense, to ease the pain :)

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

LOL funcolors -- thanks very much--seems we crossed. Yes, you're right, I didn't even see the specific name mentioned! Sloppy reading, there, fly!

O.K., well...my last post still stands...and you might want to go to the other fora here at GW to learn about roofing materials and what's at stake. Did I read right that you are considering the dimensional shingles as an upgrade?