SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sudimari

Help with fabric for an OLD simplicity pattern

sudimari
14 years ago

Okay, gonna try this again....third times a charm right? LOL

I have an older simplicity pattern (FYI # 5752) for skirts/pants that isn't even listed on their website anymore. I have all the information, but I'm looking at the fabrics listed and I think what I'm considering using doesn't fit anywhere on the list. It wouldn't be the first time I've used non-recommended fabric on a pattern, but I swore I wasn't going through that kind of headache again anytime soon.

So let me tell you what they list and then what I have (since I don't actually KNOW what my fabric is technically...but someone may recognize my description of it). Oh, and I'm making a tiered skirt...so nothing too tight fighting but drape might be an issue.

For the skirts the pattern lists:

Flannel, laundered cottons (how is that different from just cotton or cotton blends?), Batiks, Lightweight denim, sateen, challis, crepe, crepe de chine, laundered silks-rayons, double georgette (what is that...something I haven't gotton to yet!)

What I have is pieces of 2 coordinating fabrics of the same material....it's kind of a faux suede or microfibre. It reminds me a lot of the texture of my microfiber loveseat. The third one is a dense cotton blend...a stretch (although tight/little stretch) knit...pretty sure it isn't woven...more tshirt or underwear-like. From a distance you can't really tell about the difference in texture...and the colors coordinate well, BUT when trying to get these different fabrics to drape appropriately in layers I don't know what to expect.

Any ideas....is it just a no-go, or can it be done if watching out for particular issues? And what would I need to be watchiing out for?

Thanks for any inisghts!

Comments (9)