SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlee19

cabinet size & sink size - confused - can't find the answer!

kimberlee19
14 years ago

Long-time lurker here with a question. I went through 11 pages of search results last night and can't really find the answer to this question.

We are building a kitchen addition. We are GCing this to save some money and DIYing as much as we can. (DH is very handy!) But it's been a work in progress for a year. We're FINALLY about a month from being done.

My cabinets are being delivered today. We ordered a 30" sink base so my dishwasher would fit along the same wall. I'm finding it VERY difficult to find a sink larger than 25" but smaller than 30"+. I would prefer a single bowl stainless steel sink, undermounted in our granite countertops. Thanks to this forum, I'm leaning towards a Ticor sink.

I have a call in to the cabinet installer about this. The KD said we should be able to go up to a 30" sink and the installer can "shave out" some of the cabinet if necessary to make it fit. I spent a lot of money on this kitchen and hate the sound of carving up my cabinets to make a sink fit - would that compromise the structural integrity of the cabinet? But I still want to get as large a sink as I can to fit the space.

When the manufacturer lists the outside dimensions, does that include the lip that would basically be sandwiched between the top of the cabinet and the counter top? Is it the inside dimensions I should concentrate on?

I also have a 24" sink base in the island where I'd like to put a prep sink. Same question but sort of opposite - can I put a smaller prep sink in there that's not even close to being 24" wide? I'd like a square or narrow sink, perhaps 18" wide max. Does the installer add brackets of some sort to support the sink?

Advice/website references/enlightenment? Thanks in advance!

Kim

Comments (6)