SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kel3_gw

Bad smell from down sofa-help!

kel3
12 years ago

I purchased a slipcovered sofa and loveseat from Macy's a little over a year ago (I posted about it shortly after I received it as I thought it was an off white color but in my home, has a "pink" tint to it). The first loveseat had a definite mildewy smell and I called about it and they exchanged it--it was the floor model as they had discountinued this set. Slowly over the past few months, I have thought I was detecting a bad odor coming from both the loveseat and sofa. I finally couldn't stand it and decided to take it apart and see if I could find where it was coming from. There is the foam cushion, and then that is wrapped in a cover (zippered) that is sort of like a down comforter. Both the top and bottom side of that cover have another zipper that you can open to get to the actual down feathers. Well, that is where the foul odor is coming from!! It smells just like a wet dog--it's awful! We do not have indoor pets, nor has this sofa or loveseat ever been wet. I have not even washed the slipcovers or had them off before this. The same smell is in every single cushion (bottom and back alike).

I set the cushions outside yesterday in the sun to see if that would help and it did not. I called Macy's customer service line and they said they have never ever heard of this complaint. I was promised a call back in an hour and it has now been 2 days. Beings that it's been over a year since we purchased them, I doubt they are going to help me. Now, I am trying to figure out what I can do to fix this--can you wash down? Replace it? Wondering if I could replace the down with some other type of fill material (very leary of "feathers" now!)? Anybody have any suggestions? Would really appreciate any advice any of you may have--thank you!

Comments (15)