SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjaustin81

New Roof Install - Problems and issues.

cjaustin81
9 years ago

Hello, I recently had my roof replaced a couple weeks ago due to a hail damage claim. It was a complete tear off and a new roof was installed. The work was completed on 8/5/2014. The crew was 3 guys (instead of 7) and it took them 2 days and over 15 hours to complete the roof. After install I noticed several issues with the roof, most importantly the shingles were not laying flat. I had the owner come out to look at the roof and showed him the shingle curling, bowing in areas, shingles sticking up, shingles lifting by the flashing, shingles coming off along a ridge, along with several other issues. I had the owner of the roofing company come out to the house to see the issues. He indicated that the shingles were installed "too closely" and that was causing the curling, lifting by the flash, and any other issues where they don't lay flat. He said the "bowing" was a result of the workers not trimming the shingles toward the edges of the roof, instead they just laid a full shingle down.

I'm obviously not happy with the work. They also didn't install a PVC boot correct (it's for the wrong slope they said) and all the areas by the flashing have shingles sticking up (since they were not trimmed properly). I'm very concerned with the work that was done.The owner indicated this was easy to fix and I asked him to explain how they intended on fixing all of these issues (there are over 75+ areas of curling/lifting). He indicated they simply need to "trim" a bunch of the shingles. I asked about the bowing, he indicated they would have to redo that area, same with the ridge that sticks up.

I told him I was not happy and that I did not receive my money's worth. The roof does not look right and it looks worse than my parents roof (who have the same shingle brand and color) which is 15 years old. I told the owner I will need the entire roof redone because there are a myriad of issues and trimming the shingles as a "fix" was not acceptable.

The summary of my issues are below:

Above Garage
1) Bowing/rippling going up the entire length of roof, this is towards the garage door.
2) The shingles by the flash don't look straight and are lifting.
3) Shingles are lifting in multiple spots. Not lying flat.
4) The last Roof Cap has exposed nails that are not sealed.
5) The edge of the roof (towards garage door) is jagged and hanging off.
6) The siding is exposed and sticking out on the area above front door.

Main Front area
1) The area where the 3 slopes meet looks terrible, not sitting flat.
2) Toward the right side, the last Roof Cap has exposed nails that are not sealed.
3) Multiple areas where the shingles are lifting.

Main Back Area
1) The back of the house has shingles that are lifting in multiple spots.
2) The pvc vent cover isn't correct, it�s wrinkled and isn't smooth. Looks to be the wrong size and looks worse than what all neighbors have.
3) The 2nd to the left vent cap is crooked (this is even after adjustment was made).

I wanted to get some opinions on here as to what you think?

Comments (23)