SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carol_in_california

How often do you clean your machine......

and change the sewing needle?

The reason I am asking is that about 10 years ago I gave my sister a nice sewing machine and showed her how to clean it and told her to be sure and change the needle frequently. I even bought her lots of different sized needles and would ask, when I thought about it, if she had changed the needles. She is a quilter and has made at least three quilts a year since I gave it to her.

I went to visit last week and she said she wanted to "look" at her machine because it wasn't doing as well as she thought it should. I couldn't believe how much lint was packed around the bobbin case and in other nooks and crannies. I asked her when the last time she cleaned and oiled it.......NEVER, was her answer. She did say she remembers to change needles a couple of times a year.

I sewing a little bit and told her it needed to go in for a thorough cleaning and oiling by a professional. She couldn't remember where she put the machine manual. She said she would take it in as soon as she finished the quilt she was working on. (It is just in the planning stage.) I told her the machine would not last another week and unless she took it in, she may as well plan on getting a new machine. (She has plenty of money but won't spend it on things she gets pleasure out of.) She did take it in. She would rather loan it to bums and relatives who will never pay her back.

I told her she should have it serviced at least once a year and she fussed and fussed about spending the money.

I guess my long point is......take care of your sewing machines!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH