SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Had my karastan rugs steam cleaned and now they smell funny...

lkplatow
14 years ago

I had a company in to steam clean my sofas and rugs a week and a half ago. They took my 2 karastan rugs out to the driveway and steam cleaned them. I left them outside for a day or two to dry then brought them back in. Ever since I brought them in, there's been a weird smell in the house - kind of a musty wet wool smell.

Maybe I didn't leave them dry long enough (though the smaller one was outside for 4-5 days in the hot sun - it seemed bone dry when I brought it in).

The steam cleaning guy used some kind of enzyme product on the rugs because my dogs had peed on them - do you think that could be causing the problem? They don't smell like pee anymore (thank goodness) - more like a musty wool blanket that was left too long in the attic.

The good news is that overall the smell seems to be lessening a bit over time, but yesterday was humid and we had closed up the house and gone out for the afternoon and the whole house reeked when we got home.

Any experience with this? Will the smell go away over time? Did the steam cleaning guy do something wrong? Would having them cleaned again (maybe sending them out to an oriental rug cleaner) help? I hate to spend the money to clean them again but I guess I will if I have to. I just hope I haven't ruined them!

Comments (8)