SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shange_gw

Site Finished or Pre-finished?

Shange
10 years ago

Due to a recent water damage incident in our home, we're about to choose new flooring for our main level. This will be the third floor we've had to pick.

The first, prefinished solid Brazillian Teak, didn't like our house and came a loose. The second was an engineered prefinished floor. It felt thin under foot. It never came apart, but because the previous floor had been thicker solid wood, the thinnish engineered floor made all the door jambs "high waters." With every doorway 1/2 inch above the floor. Gag!

So now, we have to begin again. Which is best? Pre-finished solid or site finished? Site finished is the only flavor we've never had. Every flooring retailer I interview says pre-finished solid can be refinished, and that there's not much difference between site-finished and pre-finished. But I can't afford to make a mistake...again.

Can pre-finished really be refinished someday? Will potential buyers run away if they know the floor is pre-finished? I know laminate is a bad word, but is the "p" work bad as well?

I do not plan to stay in this Monster House much longer (max 5 years)...the money-sucking Headquarters of Hell that it is. But I do need to make a decision soon.

Comment (1)