SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ebrathedebra

Paralysis by Analysis & Q's for rosesinny (long)

ebrathedebra
15 years ago

Yes, I am paralyzed with indecision even though I've read all the threads on the subject of site finished vs. pre finished solid wood. I still have questions and IÂm hoping you guys can help.

This is my situation: My circa 1979 house has original natural red oak site finished flooring throughout EXCEPT for kitchen and front foyer which are perpendicular to one another. I am remodeling my kitchen and would like to replace the floors in it and the foyer with red oak. However, I just want to install the new flooring in these areas and NOT refinish the rest of my floors. I know that the flooring will look different because of aging etc.

I am trying to decide whether to do site finished or prefinished solid red oak. My contractor balked at the idea of installing prefinished wood but many friends have been advising that prefinished is the way to go for hardness and durability (I have 2 dogs and 2 kids and this is my kitchen and front foyer we're talking about- big traffic areas).

I get that the aluminum oxide finish is hardest compared to poly. I'm just concerned about the micro bevel on the "pre" vs. the relative smoothness of my existing floors. How would it work to finish them (pre & existing site) all together some time in the future if I needed to? Also, IÂve seen that some wood planks can come with "square edges and ends" as opposed to "beveled or micro beveled edges and ends". Since IÂm unsure about the bevel  it sounds like the squared planks would be better. But what about the uneven sharp edges from milling (the reason for the bevel in the first place)? Will that be an issue with squared edges?

rosesinny: I read something that you posted and was wondering if you would not mind explaining what you said a little better:

To refresh your memory, this is what you wrote:

Prefinished = nice for the homeowner during installation. Unfinished = nice for the installer during installation.

Prefinished = used to be the stronger finish, less perfect a surface.

Unfinished = now can have an equally good finish, has a perfect surface if done right.

So personally, I would always go for a floor finished in place. I hate the bevels and I want a perfectly flush floor. And I have the Aluminum Oxide finish on some floors and it's harder, but far less aesthetically pleasing. It seems to float on the wood like plastic, whereas the other finishes seem to penetrate. Some people care, some don't.

1. How can an "unfinished" floor have an equally good finish?

2. Did you site finish an unfinished floor with Aluminum Oxide? Should I ask my contractor about this instead of poly?

3. Also, why is 'unfinished' nicer for the installer during installation? I would think the installer would like it better because it's quicker.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to read this. Any advice or information you have to share is greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)