SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzie_nh

Alcohol included in home staging?

lizzie_nh
10 years ago

I have a question which might seem weird (or a no-brainer) but here goes:

My house just went on the market and we have our first showing today. (Whoo-hoo!) We have completely decluttered and staged to a fair degree, and I am happy with how it looks and how the photos look.

But I am wondering about whether visible (full) alcohol bottles will offend buyers. I live in a rural part of NH (but on the outskirts of one of the larger cities, so I am not truly remote.) My husband and I are professionals, well-travelled, not native to the town or state, blah blah, and as such really don't fit the typical demographic in our largely blue-collar town. But, we don't know what demographic may come look at our house... it's a modest house but still on the higher end of the houses on the market in our town.

We have an undefined room ("bonus room" in real estate parlance, but I hate that term) which we have emptied and staged as sort of an entertaining space. It's a very small room so I have a painted chest of drawers on one end (shorter wall end), a nice complementary decorative rug running lengthwise in the center of the room, and that's about it. I have the top of the chest of drawers staged as sort of a dry bar... some gin, some vermouth, etc. to one side, in varying heights and an odd number of bottles. This is near other rooms where entertaining would occur, so my thought was that this would be a natural extension of the public spaces when guests visit.

Likewise, I have staged the inside of the refrigerator, within reason (clean it, get rid of mystery packages, get rid of messy half-used condiment containers, etc.. My husband and I drink a lot of more expensive foreign beers which come in those large .75L bottles, and we have some of those, some tonic water, some wine, etc.. in the fridge.

Is this a bad idea? NH is the least religious state in the country, but I still run into a lot of people (usually older, which is probably not our buyer) who don't drink at all. The whole look of the house is, without being too pretentious, kind of "educated professional." The alcohol comes off as natural, not contrived, in my opinion. But are we courting disaster? I wouldn't even question it if I were in a big city with lots of sophisticated buyers, but that is not the case here.

Comments (36)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES