SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katdip

Weird seepage on concrete floor - oil?

17 years ago

I need some help figuring out what to do about some weird seepage I'm seeing in my basement. The house was built in 1916, with a cement slab in the basement (not sure if the slab is original). I've lived in it for 4 years. In the last month I noticed a series of "wet" spots appearing in one corner of the garage. There is one big, irregular spot (about 4' x 3'), and a number of smaller spots that look like small squiggles, that are accompanied by very small cracks (1-4"). Even more odd, the concrete is bumpy in those places(like reverse termite tunnels) At first I thought it was water, but I tried the "plastic sheeting evaporation test" and got no condensation. In one spot the crack seemed to be oozing a liquid that had no smell, but felt more slippery than water.

I'm concerned it may be old petroleum or something seeping up from the ground. It's a row house, and I haven't seen any activities by my neighbors that might explain it. Also, I'm in Northern CA, so we haven't had rain since April.

I'm trying to figure out 1) whether I should investigate this further, imagining huge remediation costs plus disclosure on selling the house and 2)if I want to investigate this, who should I call?

Comments (3)