SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
etznab

fridge next to electrical panel?

etznab
16 years ago

I have a nook / large closet that would be the perfect place to put my fridge. This area is a funky house add-on. I think this area was originally meant as a small walk in pantry, but the previous owner ran out of money. There were lots of unfinished things in this house.

I tested it and my fridge fits in there and looks great. Only problem is that the electrical panel for the house is in that space and the fridge would be next to it, about 1-2 inches away and block access. We are in the process of remodeling, so we are constantly going to the panel to turn off the electricity, so my fridge is not in there now. But once we are done, I don't really see a need for the easy access to the electrical panel. My DH thinks it's a bad idea.

Can you give me some reasons why having the fridge next to the panel would be a good / bad idea. Also, if I do go forward, do you have any suggestions on how I could easily move the fridge in the future if necessary; do those furniture moving disks really work? Would they work on a grouted tile floor?

Moving the panel is not an option, it's about $2,000 to move the panel somewhere nearby (where there really isn't a good place) and even more if I want to move it further away from the the kitchen.

Comments (5)